Thread: NCAA football

Before this story broke I had never heard a thing about his girlfriend. Didn't know he had one, didn't know she was sick and then died. Nothing. But once it came out that she was fake this is all I'm hearing. I'll be happy when I can turn back on Sports Center and hear how bad Kobe is doing instead of more of this crap story.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gismo7354 View Post
    Before this story broke I had never heard a thing about his girlfriend. Didn't know he had one, didn't know she was sick and then died. Nothing. But once it came out that she was fake this is all I'm hearing. I'll be happy when I can turn back on Sports Center and hear how bad Kobe is doing instead of more of this crap story.
    Did you just ignore college football all year? His grandmother and girlfriend dying have literally been the entire story of the Notre Dame season since week 3 lol.

---------- Post added 2013-01-19 at 03:55 PM ----------

The NCAA is joining the 20th century. http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...ges-recruiting

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Did you just ignore college football all year? His grandmother and girlfriend dying have literally been the entire story of the Notre Dame season since week 3 lol.
    I had never heard any of it either until now, and I watch Sportscenter every single day.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    I had never heard any of it either until now, and I watch Sportscenter every single day.
    lol he's from the wrong side of indiana, thats why i never heard of um......her.....
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsabathia View Post
    heat ≠ light
    it...i....what?

"They was WATERING them. They was trying to GROW WHEELBARROWS."

10+ Year Old Account
    Notre Dame didn't disclose hoax due to BCS title game

SOUTH BEND, Ind. (AP) -- A Notre Dame spokesman says the university decided against disclosing the hoax against Manti Te'o immediately after an investigation commissioned by the school confirmed it because they didn't think it would be in the best interest of the teams playing in the BCS championship game or the individuals involved.
    I guess being an AP sportswriter is even easier than I thought.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Same here, I watched the entire college football season and never heard a noticeable peep about his girlfriend, until this whole fiasco.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well damn. I've been waiting to see how badly Miami's going to get blasted, but...

The NCAA national office has uncovered an issue of improper conduct within its enforcement program that occurred during the University of Miami investigation. Former NCAA enforcement staff members worked with the criminal defense attorney for Nevin Shapiro to improperly obtain information for the purposes of the NCAA investigation through a bankruptcy proceeding that did not involve the NCAA.

As it does not have subpoena power, the NCAA does not have the authority to compel testimony through procedures outside of its enforcement program. Through bankruptcy proceedings, enforcement staff gained information for the investigation that would not have been accessible otherwise.

NCAA announces investigation into NCAA Miami investigation

(Some of those tweets are pure gold. ^^^ )

Miami allegations to wait as NCAA probes itself

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    Well damn. I've been waiting to see how badly Miami's going to get blasted, but...

NCAA announces investigation into NCAA Miami investigation

(Some of those tweets are pure gold. ^^^ )

Miami allegations to wait as NCAA probes itself
    So the NCAA is now investigating the NCAA about its investigation of Miami? Meta. I am so sick of college football lol. Could it really become any more of a total mockery?

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Same here, I watched the entire college football season and never heard a noticeable peep about his girlfriend, until this whole fiasco.
    Man I must really, really have a problem with my level of sports intake lol.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    The story was there I remember it because they (Media) was talking about how awesome he (Te'o) was for playing when his grandmother and GF had died on the same day. I remember the story pretty well but I think something happened a few days after that and took the focus of that story away.

10+ Year Old Account
    So the NCAA is now investigating the NCAA about its investigation of Miami? Meta. I am so sick of college football lol. Could it really become any more of a total mockery?
    Yeah this is... bad. Really bad. Stew Mandel writes:

Quote Originally Posted by SI
    In other words, one arm of the NCAA was proceeding on the path to formal allegations last weekend, while Emmert was meeting with the Board of Directors to inform them of the possible ethical breech at the same time. You'd call these guys keystone cops if not for the fact they make actual keystone cops look like Dragnet.

If this were a criminal case, the judge would immediately declare a mistrial. How do you prosecute a party after admitting you acquired some evidence through nefarious means? Yet, this being Emmert's NCAA, the governing body has hired a corporate investigator, Kenneth L. Wainstein, to conduct a review. Emmert said the probe should take an estimated seven to 10 days -- two weeks tops -- at which point it will discard whatever information Wainstein decrees was obtained inappropriately (which Emmert says is a "small portion" of the overall evidence against Miami) and proceed with the case as planned.

Wow, what a credible process that will be. But then again, credibility has moved swiftly in the opposite direction of the organization's Indianapolis headquarters throughout Emmert's tenure at the helm.

Remember the Cam Newton "loophole?" That was a good one. How about Ohio State's Tattoo Five being allowed to play in the Sugar Bowl thanks to some obscure waiver? Thank goodness they protected the "integrity" of a game that was later vacated. Last year, in a shameless abuse of power, Emmert shucked any notion of precedent or protocol in doling out his own personal Penn State penalties. The state of Pennsylvania is filing a suit over that one. Meanwhile, last fall, an NCAA investigator was reportedly fired after her boyfriend blabbed to a fellow airplane passenger about her pursuit of UCLA basketball freshman Shabazz Muhammad (he was reinstated shortly thereafter), while a Los Angeles judge ripped the organization for its "malicious" treatment of former USC running backs coach Todd McNair (implicated in the Reggie Bush case).

But this Miami thing -- this one takes the cake.
    I'll say.

Good thing we have our priorities straight, like making sure the act of putting cream cheese on bagels no longer constitutes a rules violation.
    Man, I couldn't dream this shit up if I tried.

---------- Post added 2013-01-23 at 08:50 PM ----------

In other news, this makes me feel a little better about the B1G's ongoing division nomenclature problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ESPN
    The Mountain West voted to hold a conference football championship game on Saturday, Dec. 7. and name its divisions "Mountain" and "West."

The league's athletic directors approved the addition of the football championship game Tuesday along with splitting the MWC's 12-teams into two six-team divisions. The division champion with the highest BCS ranking would host the title game.

It has not been determined which network will televise the championship.

Yeah. I bet the networks are just beating a fucking path to their door.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    the NCAA is... investigating themselves?!? how exactly is that going to do anything? "well, we looked into it, and it turns out we weren't doing anything we didn't know about, so we're closing this investigation..." seriously, this is the dumbest thing since Roger Goodell being the arbitrator on the Saints players bounty suspensions that he originally handed down...

on the other hand, maybe we'll get lucky and they'll find out they did break some rule and punish themselves! that would be hilarious! then the media could blast them for going too soft on their own punishments LOL!
    22 miles of hard road
    33 years of tough luck
    44 skulls buried in the ground
    Crawling down through the muck
    Ah yeah...

15+ Year Old Account
    According to new reports Te'o was talking to a guy faking a woman's voice the entire time.

10+ Year Old Account
    According to new reports Te'o was talking to a guy faking a woman's voice the entire time.
    oh my god I can't contain my laughter

Ahahahahahahaahahaahahahaha

*deep breath*

If this is true, holy fucking shit balls 2013 is off to a good start.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't found this story to be very amusing

until now

so he was falling for Mrs. Doubtfire the whole time?

I know all there is to know about the crying game

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I haven't found this story to be very amusing

until now

so he was falling for Mrs. Doubtfire the whole time?

I know all there is to know about the crying game
    you left out "Einhorn is Finkle... Finkle is Einhorn!! Einhorn is a MAN!!!!!!!"

in any case, what a bizarre story, and no indication that it's anywhere near over...
    22 miles of hard road
    33 years of tough luck
    44 skulls buried in the ground
    Crawling down through the muck
    Ah yeah...

10+ Year Old Account
    Ahahahaha.

'I Was One Of Several People Duped,' Manti Te'o Tells Scarecrow Dressed As Katie Couric

Quote Originally Posted by The Onion
    NEW YORK—Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te’o admitted Thursday that he was one of several people duped by an elaborate hoax involving the death of his nonexistent girlfriend in a revealing interview with a scarecrow dressed as Katie Couric. “It wasn’t just me—a lot of people got tricked,” said Te’o, who reportedly reached for the scarecrow’s straw hand and gazed longingly into the eyes drawn on the burlap sack face. “You know, Katie, your beautiful face reminds me a lot of Lennay’s. You make me so comfortable, I feel like I’ve known you forever. I love how you’re always smiling.” At press time, sources confirmed that a panicked Te’o was frantically attempting to resuscitate the unresponsive Katie Couric scarecrow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow. People are going way too far with this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Wow. People are going way too far with this.
    Aw, you're no fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just heard a couple of the messages. It sounds like a girl. I've heard girls that sound more manly than that. But, Katie Couric's gotta be stupid in her questions.

Te'o: It sounded like a girl

Couric: Are you gay?

Because that makes sense.