Thread: NCAA football

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Another issue with polls and rankings and hype is that the announcers and other idiots have to validate their salaries somehow. Doing all this bs preseason stuff is just how they go about it.

The rankings, polls and hype don't mean anything, with the only exception being the preseason AP/Coaches poll - that impacts but for all the wrong reasons (i.e. BCS is out after this year).

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, already bitched about Florida, so I can look at everything else:

Oregon played a crappy opponent, but right now, I'd pick them to be number one over Alabama. Alabama is on a down slope right now. Even though they dominated Virginia Tech, they only did so through defense. Kind of like a few years ago, where they couldn't score to save their life, but kicked ass because neither could their opponents. I enjoy their wins over high profile out of conference teams, but it's not very impressive when it takes your defense to carry you. Especially when you're supposed to have some awesome offense.

That said, next week is the big game for them against Texas A&M. I gotta say, I pick A&M to win it. Bama has a young offensive line, so if they can't establish that power run game they're so famed for, then their defense is going to be on the filed a whole lot, dealing with Johnny Manziel. I don't think they can handle it.

Georgia beat South Carolina. I'm not even going to begin to figure out who's gonna win the three-team race in the SEC East (assuming Florida gets their shit together. At least they have a loss out of conference), but what it really means is, Clemson looks a whole lot better right now. I think they definitely deserve their ranking, and I wouldn't forget them when the national title game comes up. Again, the SEC I think is in more chaos this year than it normally is. No definite winner, so a chance they could all lose one or more games.

Speaking of, I'll believe LSU has an offense when I see it. They played UAB....

I feel bad for Georgia though. Three top-ten teams in the first four weeks. Bama is sitting there with a week off before A&M, and Georgia's going through a gauntlet to start the season.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2013-09-09 at 06:16 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I didn't look at the Georgia SCAR result. I can't believe Andy Murray not only won a big game, but actually showed up. Good old SCAR, always disappointing.

I'm so happy Michigan could put down Notre Dame before they could roll to a good record on their easy schedule and people would overly hype them again.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    I didn't look at the Georgia SCAR result. I can't believe Andy Murray not only won a big game, but actually showed up. Good old SCAR, always disappointing.

I'm so happy Michigan could put down Notre Dame before they could roll to a good record on their easy schedule and people would overly hype them again.
    Holy god yes - so glad they have a loss under them.

15+ Year Old Account
    SIs 5 part report on their investigation into how Oklahoma St went from nobody to powerhouse overnight starts tomorrow with the section focusing on cash transaction between coaches, boosters, and the players for in game rewards and years of no show jobs. That is followed by sections on academics (focusing on team personnel doing player's coursework and professors passing students for doing no work in class to keep them eligible), drugs (OSU never enforced positive tests and actually put kids into fake counseling services), and sex (the OSU hostess program Orange Pride had a group that would have sex with recruits). Should be a fantastic read. In this case it isn't 1-3 players talking about the alleged programs, it is dozens.

Is it bad I wanted ND to win last year just because of how insufferable Bama fans have gotten?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drikkink View Post
    Is it bad I wanted ND to win last year just because of how insufferable Bama fans have gotten?
    Yes, yes it is. No one can out pompous ND fans, not even Bama drunks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ouch: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--...202513237.html

That's some high-profile names on that list. At least, when they were college players.

Also, Top 25 updated. No surprise Florida dropped down as far as they did. Northwestern is a big surprise. I know they had a huge incline last year, but they just keep rising. Hope they keep it up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh look, another purported scandal relying on disgruntled players with questionable credibility.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    Oh look, another purported scandal relying on disgruntled players with questionable credibility.
    Disgruntled? You expect me to believe that dozens, yes DOZENS, of former OSU players who corroborate the story are all disgruntled? 64 former OSU players gave information to SI. This wasn't other times when there were one or two guys saying such and such happened. This is dozens of former players with no axes to grind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Disgruntled? You expect me to believe that dozens, yes DOZENS, of former OSU players who corroborate the story are all disgruntled?
    No. But it's worth noting some of the more serious charges come from players who were kicked off the team.

64 former OSU players gave information to SI. This wasn't other times when there were one or two guys saying such and such happened. This is dozens of former players with no axes to grind.
    And it's already drawing a number of complaints.

Look, I'm not saying nothing happened, and I don't have any ties whatsoever to Oklahoma State. I'm saying I'm sick to fucking death of these over-hyped exposes that rely on testimony and questionable methods, and I don't trust the likes of SI to get the actual stories right (unless maybe Stewart Mandel were writing them).

Even if damning evidence were available and forwarded to the NCAA, will there be any actual consequences, or will it be Miami 2.0? I similarly remember getting sucked in to SI's piece on Shapiro and his hookers and stripper pole in the luxury box, paying for hookers to have sex with Hurricanes players and later abortions to cover their asses. That all netted us what, a handful of suspensions? Shapiro was a piece of shit, no question, but how much of that saga got embellished? We may never know.

Programs that violate NCAA rules need to be punished, and I'd like to think we can do better than tabloid soap opera journalism to achieve that end.

15+ Year Old Account
    The NCAA should stop pursuing players for money received from boosters and agents and solely go after schools for the academic violations. Colleges need to decide if they are sports institutions or educational institutions. I could give a damn if dudes are getting handshakes containing money, but if they are taking fake classes, that is what the NCAA should be cracking down on.

I really hope the NCAA doesn't end up stripping Bama of their title, which they frankly should if they are going to follow precedent. That financial assistance from agents crap doesn't impact field performance. USC deserved to maintain their title and Alabama deserves to keep theirs. I wonder what it would take for the NCAA to just give it up and declare Wild West on payments to players from boosters, alumni, and agents? Jeremy Lin coming out and saying that boosters were giving him money handshakes at Harvard?

Disgruntled? You expect me to believe that dozens, yes DOZENS, of former OSU players who corroborate the story are all disgruntled? 64 former OSU players gave information to SI. This wasn't other times when there were one or two guys saying such and such happened. This is dozens of former players with no axes to grind.
    College kids smoke pot and party. More at eleven.

The SI writer did not vet his sources properly. I'm not saying the Pokes are squeaky clean but this "exposé" is a boat full of holes waiting to sink.

Rutgers retiring Legrand's number today at halftime.

And continue the nightmare that is the old Big East vs the MAC. 14-10 Rutgers over EMU at the half.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drikkink View Post
    Rutgers retiring Legrand's number today at halftime.

And continue the nightmare that is the old Big East vs the MAC. 14-10 Rutgers over EMU at the half.
    Yep. I think it's the one thing that will hurt Teddy Bridgewater's chance of getting the Heisman. I was reading an article last night, and it was boasting that Louisville was playing Kentucky this weekend. ...Because beating Kentucky in football is a feat.

Neb up 21-3 over UCLA. Now, UCLA up 38-21.

lol...

10+ Year Old Account

Made me laugh.

15+ Year Old Account
    lol at michigan. that pass interference right before there final score? the facemask on the tackle that put the ball on the 1 yard? yeah totally got helping from the refs.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post

Made me laugh.
    wow... usc's stadium is empty.

- - - Updated - - -

If you were to compare Kentucky and Eastern Mich, who would you say is better? Neither Rutgers or Lville impressed today, but both seem like they'll win.

- - - Updated - - -

Rutgers RB James has almost 200 yards today and THREE TDs. He's currently T-5 in the FBS in rush yards at 301 prior to today, 44 off the lead. He also has 6 TDs this season.

If he keeps this up (yes, I know, Fresno State, Norfolk State and EMU were his opponents), chances he gets some Heisman and/or Doak Walker consideration?

10+ Year Old Account
    Welp, Bama still can't stop Manziel. Gonna be a long game.