1. #1
    Bloodsail Admiral Xarganthos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    1,168

    cant figure out my real calorie needs

    first: pardon my english, its not my first language..

    so i've lost around 65kg (around 143lbs? dunno) by reducing my calorie intake to around 1200kcal/day

    but since then i find it hard to Keep my weight, and no Website could give me a proper answer (some say 1700, some say around 2300).

    i'm male, 25 years old, i'm 172cm tall (5'7 or something) and weigh 65kg (around 143lbs).

    i'm working in an Office, go to the gym aroudn 2-3 times a week, mostly for gaining musclemass. in my free time i'm playing Video games and stuff.


    maybe some of you can help me ^^

  2. #2
    I'd suggest you google "Calculating Calories and Macronutrients " and take a look over that forum.
    My Twitch channel streaming Heroic content from Mage PoV. Armory. -Currently- retired. Dotabuff.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarganthos View Post
    first: pardon my english, its not my first language..

    so i've lost around 65kg (around 143lbs? dunno) by reducing my calorie intake to around 1200kcal/day

    but since then i find it hard to Keep my weight, and no Website could give me a proper answer (some say 1700, some say around 2300).

    i'm male, 25 years old, i'm 172cm tall (5'7 or something) and weigh 65kg (around 143lbs).

    i'm working in an Office, go to the gym aroudn 2-3 times a week, mostly for gaining musclemass. in my free time i'm playing Video games and stuff.


    maybe some of you can help me ^^
    172 cm and 65kg as an exercising male is very little.
    Use harris benedict formula. http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-ca...dict-equation/

    Edit: checked it for you. Both sites are right.

    1700 would be your base need. So lets say ur in a coma, thats how much ur body needs.
    Since ur exercising, u need a little more. All in all it comes to 2300kc per day.

    Eat more than that, ull gradually gain weight.
    Eat less than that, ull gradually lose more weight.
    Last edited by Shiift; 2014-07-02 at 05:45 PM.

  4. #4
    Bloodsail Admiral Xarganthos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    1,168
    thank you, using the method mentioned in tuwods answer i got around 1900kc.

    so i should avoid eating below 2300 kcal/day? i have days were i dont even get to 1500kcal :/

  5. #5
    Mechagnome Nocturnes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Noitacol
    Posts
    685
    Grtz on loosing 65kg! Excellent!

    Your calories needed a day = 2500.

    How long did it take you to get so much weightloss? Did you do something special? No operation? Just by eating less and healthier?
    It's like we are all Red Jelly Beans in a Jar full of various colors. Every now and then they reach in and get a Red Jelly Bean.
    We know we are in there, we can see the color, we just can't do anything to speed up our being taken out of the jar -- Jelly Beans can't speak.

  6. #6
    Bloodsail Admiral Xarganthos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    1,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnes View Post
    Grtz on loosing 65kg! Excellent!

    Your calories needed a day = 2500.

    How long did it take you to get so much weightloss? Did you do something special? No operation? Just by eating less and healthier?
    thank you^^

    yes simply by eating less (and healthier ofc). a Little bit exercise too but not much. took me two years and a few months, i was originally aiming for a loss of 60kg

  7. #7
    The Unstoppable Force Wildtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa - Franconia
    Posts
    20,348
    Surprised this thread is still open...... Since these kind of threads aren't allowed here, for obvious reasons.

    You need to talk to your doctor, and get a dietician for a tailored diet plan, that suits you personally.
    Any other answer is unreasonable.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

  8. #8
    Bloodsail Admiral Xarganthos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    1,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Surprised this thread is still open...... Since these kind of threads aren't allowed here, for obvious reasons.

    You need to talk to your doctor, and get a dietician for a tailored diet plan, that suits you personally.
    Any other answer is unreasonable.
    i just have to find a good balance. i'm already talking to my doctor and my dietician (for 3 years now). i simply have to keep my weight. sorry didnt know such threads weren't allowed :/

  9. #9
    Stood in the Fire Snorkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    407
    Eat 2300kcal for 2-3 weeks, weigh your self each week and if, by the end of the 3 weeks you've consistently lost (or consistently gained), cut/add 100-200kcal. Repeat process until you don't lose (or gain) any weight.

    Things like BMR are only estimates, they give you a rough number to go off but ultimately you need to track your weight to see what works for you.

  10. #10
    Don't underestimate how easy it is to track calories. I'd suggest using some sort of kitchen scale and weigh all your food + look up their calories if you want to be precise about it and not eye-measure and log it in a tracker; I'm using an online one so I can easily access it wherever I am when I eat something.
    Bad/not tracking is the reason so many people complain that "I'm eating 1500kcals daily, can't lose weight" or "I'm binging 4000kcals a day but can't gain weight".
    My Twitch channel streaming Heroic content from Mage PoV. Armory. -Currently- retired. Dotabuff.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by TUWOD View Post
    Don't underestimate how easy it is to track calories. I'd suggest using some sort of kitchen scale and weigh all your food + look up their calories if you want to be precise about it and not eye-measure and log it in a tracker; I'm using an online one so I can easily access it wherever I am when I eat something.
    Bad/not tracking is the reason so many people complain that "I'm eating 1500kcals daily, can't lose weight" or "I'm binging 4000kcals a day but can't gain weight".
    Wondering why im still replying caus OP ingores me completely but in addition to this quote: I used Google´s excel to pen down calories and P/C/F values of everything i usually ate. I went as far as measuring 1 tortilla wrap and portion sizes (just for ease). Every time i ate something i hadnt penned down, it got on the list. Dont forget to differentiate brands. That way u avoid differences in value (yoghurt A has 0,3 more saturated fat than yoghurt B) and get a pretty clean list with only the food ur usually eating.

  12. #12
    Bloodsail Admiral Xarganthos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    1,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    Wondering why im still replying caus OP ingores me completely but in addition to this quote: I used Google´s excel to pen down calories and P/C/F values of everything i usually ate. I went as far as measuring 1 tortilla wrap and portion sizes (just for ease). Every time i ate something i hadnt penned down, it got on the list. Dont forget to differentiate brands. That way u avoid differences in value (yoghurt A has 0,3 more saturated fat than yoghurt B) and get a pretty clean list with only the food ur usually eating.
    i didnt ignore you, i even replied to your post just didnt quote you..

    also i already started doing something similar to what you did, making a list of Food i'm usually eating. its just i have Problems even reaching 2300kcal/day. as already mentioned in a post above there are days i'm not even at 1500kcal.

    i usually have a straight eating "pattern", most days of the week i'm eating more or less the same, so its easy to track. but if i'm cooking something, thats where i seem to have Problems. i weigh most of the food i'm eating already but its still not enough

  13. #13
    I don't understand how it can be hard to eat more than 1500 kcal a day. 1500 kcal is extremely low.
    Maybe you should mention what your diet looks like so people can help you better.

    1500 kcal a day for your height, weight, age and how much you exercise sounds really unhealthy. I think you focused too much on losing weight. Congratulations on losing 65 kg though!

    And like Wildtree mentioned, you are better off asking a professional.
    Last edited by Gilian; 2014-07-08 at 12:06 PM.

  14. #14
    Bloodsail Admiral Xarganthos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    1,168
    well i'm not following any certain diet, i'm eating what i like (except for chocolate or any sweet stuff) but i have to admit my eating Habits really changed due to my diet back then. i'm not eating White bread anymore (unless i cant avoid it)

    i always liked White meat like Turkey or chicken, so i never was eating much pork or Beef anyway. just eating what i like, sometimes even McDonalds or Burger King, but even then i'm not eating that much because i'm full pretty fast.

  15. #15
    I'm so lost on counting macros...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •