Thread: NCAA football

Page 3 of 141 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think that it is crazy how Bama could possibly slide into a championship. I just don't see them losing to LSU again. It will not come down to missed FGs.

I think Arkansas is overrated. I doubt they will even hang w/ LSU. Look at what Bama did to them and realize that LSU's secondary is just as good, if not better at some spots.

Really though, how can you take Bama's spot away from them if they smash Auburn? They clearly have the best loss and will already be at #2. I am one of those ppl that thinks BCS championship should be played by conference winners, but this is clearly an exception. Why should Georgia even be playing when they are clearly 4th at best in the SEC?

Best reasons ever for some changes! Although, I am not upset one bit that it is falling in Bama's favor.
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah Bama is ranked #2 on the BCS polls so for us not to get in if we beat Auburn would be them admitting that their own system is flawed
    but then again at least 5 regions will say the same thing if we do get in

which leads to the almighty argument of why there is no playoff system for college football and i would love it if there was
    but im definitely not angry with how things turned out this year with Bama having the possibility of playing in the title game without winning the SEC championship

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Auloria View Post
    My boyfriend is desperately trying to figure out how to get Virginia Tech in the running.

I'm pretty nervous about LSU-Arkansas, to be honest. Arkansas definitely has better kickers than Bama. It's hard for me to make an unbiased judgement call on who would break that 3-way tie.
    It's hard to say but i'm pretty sure they judge it by BCS ranking (retarded system), which in the end if Arkansas somehow wins will probably end up being Bama #1 but this system is so unpredictable it's possible Arkansas might just trade places with LSU if they win.

Quote Originally Posted by Nino View Post
    Yeah Bama is ranked #2 on the BCS polls so for us not to get in if we beat Auburn would be them admitting that their own system is flawed
    but then again at least 5 regions will say the same thing if we do get in

which leads to the almighty argument of why there is no playoff system for college football and i would love it if there was
    but im definitely not angry with how things turned out this year with Bama having the possibility of playing in the title game without winning the SEC championship
    It wouldn't be them admitting their system is flawed. The people who run the BCS don't get a say. It's the media members with votes that will make the decision. And they already dislike the system for the most part. They've bumped teams before and could do it again.

Speaking of a playoff though, this was an interesting read. http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2011...e-this-season/

Some of the potential matchups would be epic. But until the schools themselves realize how much money they lose with the BCS and decide to do something about it we're stuck with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RollTide View Post
    It wouldn't be them admitting their system is flawed. The people who run the BCS don't get a say. It's the media members with votes that will make the decision. And they already dislike the system for the most part. They've bumped teams before and could do it again.

Speaking of a playoff though, this was an interesting read. http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2011...e-this-season/

Some of the potential matchups would be epic. But until the schools themselves realize how much money they lose with the BCS and decide to do something about it we're stuck with it.
    that is an interesting scenario i dont get why the BCS wont combine what they are already doing and merge it with a top 16 playoff and give the remainder of the top 25 teams bowl biddish type games that could be played before the playoffs started if they are so hell bent on keeping some semblance of the system they have in place atm

15+ Year Old Account
    i absolutely positively hate the BCS. and this year the big ten is a classic example of why.
    Michigan State will be playing either Penn State or Wisconsin this year in the B10 Championship game.
    yet whoever loses said championship game is not going to get a BCS at large bid, meanwhile, University of Michigan, who didn't even GO to the Championship game, play a remotely challenging schedule, and had 75% of there games at home will be getting said BCS at large bid, pending they beat Ohio State next week.
    anyone else see anything wrong with this picture?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    i absolutely positively hate the BCS. and this year the big ten is a classic example of why.
    Michigan State will be playing either Penn State or Wisconsin this year in the B10 Championship game.
    yet whoever loses said championship game is not going to get a BCS at large bid, meanwhile, University of Michigan, who didn't even GO to the Championship game, play a remotely challenging schedule, and had 75% of there games at home will be getting said BCS at large bid, pending they beat Ohio State next week.
    anyone else see anything wrong with this picture?
    Yes, I'm with you 100%.

And let's not forget the Big East, who get a bid each year because they're a major conference. But, I'm sorry to whoever this offends, they've been absolutely piss-poor the last few years, and don't deserve it. Meanwhile, Houston, TCU, and Boise have to fight for one spot, that each of them has deserved.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Yes, I'm with you 100%.

And let's not forget the Big East, who get a bid each year because they're a major conference. But, I'm sorry to whoever this offends, they've been absolutely piss-poor the last few years, and don't deserve it. Meanwhile, Houston, TCU, and Boise have to fight for one spot, that each of them has deserved.
    agreed, the Big East is lame. and University of Michigan in a BCS game? if they couldn't even do respectable work at Michigan State, while being gifted a football field and a half of yardage, what makes anyone think they actually deserve a legit bowl?

Quote Originally Posted by tj119 View Post
    It's hard to say but i'm pretty sure they judge it by BCS ranking (retarded system), which in the end if Arkansas somehow wins will probably end up being Bama #1 but this system is so unpredictable it's possible Arkansas might just trade places with LSU if they win.
    Unless they changed it recently, the BCS is only 1 of 3 polls that determine your actual rank. It gets rather confusing because different sources report BCS and other's report the composite score which is coaches poll + AP poll + BCS averaged out.

that is an interesting scenario i dont get why the BCS wont combine what they are already doing and merge it with a top 16 playoff and give the remainder of the top 25 teams bowl biddish type games that could be played before the playoffs started if they are so hell bent on keeping some semblance of the system they have in place atm
    The biggest problem with that is you would pretty much extend the season to year round. Bodies need a recovery period and it really stresses a student, who the schools are claiming they're bringing there for their education. While a playoff would make sense in determining a winner, it would come at the cost of the students. Just got to remember that many of them don't go to the NFL and even fewer can expect to last more than 3 years in the NFL. Many of those guys are going to need something to fall back on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dlouhys View Post
    Unless they changed it recently, the BCS is only 1 of 3 polls that determine your actual rank. It gets rather confusing because different sources report BCS and other's report the composite score which is coaches poll + AP poll + BCS averaged out.
    In the end, the BCS poll determines everything, but as I recall, its rankings are partially decided on the other polls. But I think what is being mentioned is the SEC's personal tiebreaker. If Arkansas beats LSU, we have a three-way tie. Which then goes to the BCS ranking, which may be too close to determine an SEC West winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    In the end, the BCS poll determines everything, but as I recall, its rankings are partially decided on the other polls. But I think what is being mentioned is the SEC's personal tiebreaker. If Arkansas beats LSU, we have a three-way tie. Which then goes to the BCS ranking, which may be too close to determine an SEC West winner.
    I thought it was pretty much determined that if Arkansas beats LSU (they wont) and Bama beats Auburn (they will) then Bama takes the west? It would go to a points system and Bama takes that from Arkansas by a large margin from the defensive standpoint plus they beat Arkansas. I'm thinking it will be LSU vs. Bama for the BCS National Championship which I'm not looking forward to. Mostly because I don't want to play Bama again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezrail View Post
    I thought it was pretty much determined that if Arkansas beats LSU (they wont) and Bama beats Auburn (they will) then Bama takes the west? It would go to a points system and Bama takes that from Arkansas by a large margin from the defensive standpoint plus they beat Arkansas. I'm thinking it will be LSU vs. Bama for the BCS National Championship which I'm not looking forward to. Mostly because I don't want to play Bama again.
    i don't think it would be too much on the players because the teams not in the top 25 would play bowl bid games as normal which would leave 9 teams left in the top 25 + which ever team that's 26th those teams would play the bowl games as normal like it is now in the 1st bowl week and the 2 remaining weeks would be dedicated to the playoffs all within the same time frame as the current format is

but on to you Ezrail i would love a rematch with LSU and so would Leslie Miles (i call him that with all the love in the world) according to his own statements after the game i wont lie LSU did a great job defensively and limited most their mistakes offensively but all in all we beat ourselves that game on more than one level which i don't think would play out like that again for either team u would see more points this time and mistakes would have to be limited by the offenses and defense and special teams for both teams this time around

but on to you Ezrail i would love a rematch with LSU and so would Leslie Miles (i call him that with all the love in the world) according to his own statements after the game i wont lie LSU did a great job defensively and limited most their mistakes offensively but all in all we beat ourselves that game on more than one level which i don't think would play out like that again for either team u would see more points this time and mistakes would have to be limited by the offenses and defense and special teams for both teams this time around
    You're right. No doubt about it, the two best teams this year are LSU and Alabama so a rematch would be a true national championship. And a deserving one if the season plays out as predicted. Historically, LSU and Bama play each other better on the road but LSU in the dome is a different story.

But we still have Arkansas to worry about so we can't count ourselves in just yet (even though I think we'll win by a good margin). You guys should roll Auburn and the east doesn't have a chance in the SEC title game regardless of who they play.

It won't be an 2x SEC teams in the title game, I don't care how anyone looks at their rankings.

Quote Originally Posted by Mass0wnage View Post
    It won't be an 2x SEC teams in the title game, I don't care how anyone looks at their rankings.
    Quote Originally Posted by mynameisjona View Post
    This is how I see it going down. A few options:

#1: LSU wins out, Oklahoma beats OK State, Auburn beats Alabama, VTech wins out. LSU vs. VTech in the championship
    #2: LSU and Alabama win out. LSU vs. Alabama in the championship
    #3: LSU loses to Arkansas, Alabama wins out. Arkansas vs. Alabama in the championship
    #4: OK State wins, LSU wins out, Alabama loses to Auburn. OK State vs. LSU in the championship
    #5: LSU wins out, OK State/VTech/Alabama lose, Stanford wins out. LSU vs. Stanford in the championship
    #6: LSU loses to Arkansas, Alabama beats Auburn and then loses to Georgia, OK State beats Oklahoma. OK State vs. Arkansas in the championship
    #7: LSU beats Arkansas and loses to Georgia, Alabama beats Auburn, OK State beats Oklahoma. OK State vs. Alabama in the championship
    #8: LSU beats Arkansas and loses to Georgia, Alabama loses to Auburn, Oklahoma beats OK State. VTech vs. Stanford OR VTech vs. LSU (I highly doubt a loss to Georgia would drop them far and with that other chaos they would probably retain #2)

I don't see how Oregon/Houston/Boise State could possibly make it into the championship
    Unless LSU or Alabama loses, it will be. Even then there is still a potential that it'll be a SEC filled championship.

Also I'd love to hear disputes on these. Discussion is awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Ezrail View Post
    You're right. No doubt about it, the two best teams this year are LSU and Alabama so a rematch would be a true national championship. And a deserving one if the season plays out as predicted. Historically, LSU and Bama play each other better on the road but LSU in the dome is a different story.

But we still have Arkansas to worry about so we can't count ourselves in just yet (even though I think we'll win by a good margin). You guys should roll Auburn and the east doesn't have a chance in the SEC title game regardless of who they play.
    Would it really though? If Bama beats LSU, all that proves is that they've beaten each other once.

College football is more of a "what have you done for me lately" sport though. A loss in week 6 means much less than a loss in a bowl game. As long as you get your loss out of the way early and it wasn't to an exhibition team you paid to come get trampled on you still have a shot at working your way back up the ranks.

Or you can go the playoffs/SB route. Who cares if the Packers run the table this year and finish 16-0? If they lose in the playoffs/SB they're out. Last year they went in as a wild card, but they won when it mattered the most.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mass0wnage View Post
    dont hate it probably will be no1 wants to watch a championship where u already know whos gonna win

dont hate it probably will be no1 wants to watch a championship where u already know whos gonna win
    I mean, as of now Alabama and LSU are the two best teams with far and above the best defenses in the nation while being in the toughest division in college football right now. Arkansas is right with them in the division and they're just as good. This is coming from a hard core Michigan fan too

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mynameisjona View Post
    I mean, as of now Alabama and LSU are the two best teams with far and above the best defenses in the nation while being in the toughest division in college football right now. Arkansas is right with them in the division and they're just as good. This is coming from a hard core Michigan fan too
    i agree without being biased and i promise you LSU is on upset alert mode right now they cant sleep on Arkansas we did in the 1st half and had to readjust our whole game plan
    with that being said we (Bama) cant necessarily sleep on Auburn either sure they have had a roller coaster season with some blowouts along the way but they have had some early season close call miracles as well and held LSU for much of the first half
    and im not a big fan of Michigan but i keep up with them because thats where my moms from and id be lying if i said i wasnt rooting for them this season
    though i have to admit as much as i love Denard Robinsons highlight reel playstyle he has to give you Michigan fans heart attacks every play hes behind center
    think he got a shot at the pros though?