Thread: NCAA football

Huge Gator fan here, watched every game this season.

1. They had a shot at playing Alabama for the national title if ND lost to USC because their strength of schedule was among the best in the country and they had 4 wins against top 12 teams. No one else had close to that. If they had beaten Georgia, they would have been in almost for sure. @stommped: UF lost to UGa on a neutral field in a close game. They play that game 10 times, it probably goes 5-5. It didn't factor into the voter's decisions much. This is what happens when you vote on champions instead of playing it out on the field.

2. Florida's defense was dominant. They might have been the best in the country. The offense just wasn't as good, and it showed in every game where the team played poorly. The offense constantly put the defense in bad spots and Muschamp got maddeningly conservative with the plays because it just seemed like our QB couldn't handle much else. I have confidence that side of the ball will improve next year with more reps.

3. They lost to Louisville because the Cardinals showed up to play and they didn't. That game was over in the first 10 minutes. Louisville had something to prove, were clearly pissed that everyone was basically comparing them to NIU and claiming they didn't even belong in a BCS game (which they arguably didn't even though they ended up winning. Same as the 7-9 Seahawks shouldn't have made the playoffs even though they won a game.) The Gators were let down by not playing for the championship and couldn't care less about that game. They played terribly. I stopped watching, it was so bad. I can live with a loss, but not a complete and utter lack of effort. Really pissed me off. I knew as it was happening that people were going to use that as a "lol overrated SEC" argument. The only people that think that are fans of teams in other conferences that can't think rationally. You don't accidentally win that many national titles in a row. It actually works against them now. If the voters could have found any way at all to put a team in over Alabama, you can be damn sure they would have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    Honestly, I am much more concerned about Bama's chances in the title game now. Not because I doubt their skills, but because I have obviously underestimated the abilities of the rest of the FBS, as well as overestimating the SEC.

Looking forward to the A&M game tonight. SEC can still come out of this looking alright if we win out. Also, if Bama wins it will be 7 years in a row of SEC champions, so all is not lost.
    I'm not sure why people keep thinking Alabama has less of a chance to win because another team lost another game completely unrelated. The stats still show it. Alabama is number one in every defensive stat, except one, which belongs to Notre Dame. They have one of, if not the best, offensive lines in the country, and as long as they don't come out throwing like they tried to do last year, they will be fine.

I'm more worried about TAMU tonight. I don't know anything about Oklahoma.

Right now the PAC-12, SEC, and Big 12 are all at .500, with the Big 12 having one game left, and the SEC two. I'd say that's pretty even.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    I'm not sure why people keep thinking Alabama has less of a chance to win because another team lost another game completely unrelated. The stats still show it. Alabama is number one in every defensive stat, except one, which belongs to Notre Dame. They have one of, if not the best, offensive lines in the country, and as long as they don't come out throwing like they tried to do last year, they will be fine.

Right now the PAC-12, SEC, and Big 12 are all at .500, with the Big 12 having one game left, and the SEC two. I'd say that's pretty even.
    You can throw all over Oklahoma. Expecting Johnny Football to have a big day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by buck008 View Post
    They had a shot at playing Alabama for the national title if ND lost to USC because their strength of schedule was among the best in the country and they had 4 wins against top 12 teams. No one else had close to that.
    ^ This.

A Notre Dame loss to USC was the primary ingredient required for that scenario. Florida finished a solid #2 in the computer rankings as is based upon those merits. Had USC won, all hell would have broken loose; Oregon likely wouldn't have been able to catch up in the final BCS standings even with a lot of voter lobbying. Part of me wishes I could see all the fallout in that alternate reality.

---------- Post added 2013-01-04 at 04:06 PM ----------

I wouldn't be terribly concerned.

OU had a tough time with Baylor, barely squeaked past WV and Okie State, and still experienced frustrations against TCU to close out the season. They haven't faced a team as well-balanced as A&M, much as it pains me to give them props. Naturally the focus is on Manziel, but the Aggies run well too, and Oklahoma's rushing defense is not good. Barring some inexplicable meltdown or aberration, I think OU's in for a really long night.

Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    OU had a tough time with Baylor, barely squeaked past WV and Okie State
    Baylor dominated the 2nd best team in the pac10, they arent that bad

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    Baylor dominated the 2nd best team in the pac10, they arent that bad
    I didn't say they were.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by buck008 View Post
    You can throw all over Oklahoma. Expecting Johnny Football to have a big day.
    Well, neither defense seems to be playing well so far, though TAMU's is doing better. Oklahoma can't stop Johnny Manziel.

I just love how this commentator doesn't even know what the hell defensive holding. Thinking you can "manhandle them" as long as the ball's not in the air. What an idiot.

---------- Post added 2013-01-04 at 10:10 PM ----------

"Oklahoma's defense did a good job despite 14 points."

No they didn't. Their offense did a good job keeping Manziel off the field, notice the number of plays of each team in the first half and time of possession. This commentator gets dumber and dumber.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2013-01-05 at 03:11 AM.

No they didn't. Their offense did a good job keeping Manziel off the field, notice the number of plays of each team in the first half and time of possession. This commentator gets dumber and dumber.
    It's Fox. I've never really felt their college coverage to be that great, especially the regional stuff like FSN.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was so relieved when ESPN got the BCS rights back a few years ago. FOX coverage of CFB is and has been terrible. It's like they go out of their way to hire the worst possible studio and broadcast personnel and try compensate for it by parading Erin Andrews around.

A&M was pretty sloppy in the first half; for a while I thought they were going to kill themselves with penalties and blown assignments. Whatever happened at halftime must've been interesting though since the team I expected actually showed up in the second half.

10+ Year Old Account
    This team is not as good as last year's. We are open to big plays because we do not have the pass rush and elite corners that we had last year. Part of why I was so confident in Bama's chances were because I still felt that the SEC was the dominant conference. I think that the bowls have shown that there is not the big gap between the SEC and the rest of the nation this year.

Only thing that keeps me confident is that I watched Notre Dame play a decent bit this year. I was never impressed and still think that they skated in, but ugly wins still count.
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    After matching their win total over the course of the previous two seasons, I guess Ole Miss fans were eager to get out and take in a bowl game this year. The relatively short drive to Birmingham helps I'm sure, but that's still a pretty decent showing.

BBVA Compass Bowl draws an announced crowd of 59,135, outdrawing the Sugar Bowl

10+ Year Old Account
    Kudos to Chip Kelly for not pulling a Pete Carroll.

Here at last, the national championship

all day ive been telling myself "dont pick Alabama because of your great hate towards Notre Dame"

So after carefully not being a jerk about it (and the uncontrollable bias anyway), I still stick with Bama to win tonight. 27-17
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsabathia View Post
    heat ≠ light
    it...i....what?

"They was WATERING them. They was trying to GROW WHEELBARROWS."

10+ Year Old Account
    Heh, whoops.

Quote Originally Posted by ESPN
    Some fans of Notre Dame and Alabama woke up to a strange message Monday morning.

They received an email congratulating their team on winning the Discover BCS National Championship that hadn't yet been played.

The note came from Amazon.com, the world's largest online retailer.

"Dear Amazon.com Customer," the email that was sent to Irish fans read. "Congratulations to the Notre Dame Fighting Irish, NCAA National Football Champions. Customers who have shown an interest in the Notre Dame Fighting Irish might like to see NCAA championship merchandise and additional team fan gear."

The same note, substituting in Alabama, was sent to those whom the website had identified as Crimson Tide fans, presumably because of their past ordering profiles.

Later in the day, Amazon sent out an apology.

Meanwhile, as we count down to the game... I don't think I've ever actually typed this before, but under the circumstances: Roll Tide!

15+ Year Old Account
    I am fairly surprised at how little I give a shit about this game. I honestly don't even feel like watching it. You know what would be super? If the NCAA played the game less than a month and a half after the fucking season ended. I have no horses in this race. I hate both teams about equally.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Radio and TV would love for ND to win it would be non stop talk till Sunday. If Alabama wins like 21-0 it won't even tilt the ratings nobody will care because it's expected.
    @Conscript Do you like any SEC teams lol also I agree they should not have to wait 2 months to play the game and they should cut down the number of bowl games by like half.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think Notre Dame will remain irrelevant just because they lose. I'm not sure why people (not here) keep insinuating that.

So, I'm sure I've bitched about this before, but why the hell does ESPN3 even exist? Who would watch the game on their computer instead of on their TV, when they are required to have freaking cable TV to watch ESPN3?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    @Conscript Do you like any SEC teams lol also I agree they should not have to wait 2 months to play the game and they should cut down the number of bowl games by like half.
    I hate almost everything about the South, so not really lol. Although I will tolerate TAMU even thought they are now SEC.

---------- Post added 2013-01-07 at 08:23 PM ----------

I don't think Notre Dame will remain irrelevant just because they lose. I'm not sure why people (not here) keep insinuating that.

So, I'm sure I've bitched about this before, but why the hell does ESPN3 even exist? Who would watch the game on their computer instead of on their TV, when they are required to have freaking cable TV to watch ESPN3?
    People on a train or something lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol pac 12 refs. The pain is just starting.

10+ Year Old Account
    That third down should have been a catch, or at least a review, for Notre Dame.

And the muffed punt should be reviewed too.