Thread: NCAA football

Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    http://espn.go.com/college-sports/re...er-sources-say This shit will be all over my local radio show today I haven't about it locally but in about 30 mins I will be bombarded with this shit.
    Because sending another fax is impossible...

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So Alex Collins father signs his letter to commit hopefully I don't have to here about this shit anymore.

I always wondered. Is it better to win a crappy conference like the ACC or the Big Least or finish 2nd,3rd, hell even 5th in the SEC? Im just sick of hearing all my friends who are Clemson fans talk shit about how good they are. Seriously look at your schedule. You play teams like Wake Forest, UVA, GA Tech, NC State, BC, UNC, and Duke every year. Of course you are going to go 10-2 or even 11-1 playing garbage cupcake teams. Load up your schedule with good teams and then go 10-2 instead of playing a bunch of nerdy basketball schools every single season and then beating your chest when you beat them by 30 points.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man I have never been a fan of the Big Ten except for WI which comes down to how they play anyways http://sports.yahoo.com/news/alvarez...02--ncaaf.html Big Ten teams are going to stop playing FCS schools in the near future. That makes me not hate them as much and I wish SEC, Big 12, Pac 12, and ACC would do the same I didn't mention Big East because there not even as good as some of the FCS schools are anyways.

10+ Year Old Account
    but but now we won't get to see Appalachian State beat Michigan!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    ehh yeah sometimes like 1 out of 5 years a FCS school will beat a BCS school but most of the times those games are blowouts and are not fun to watch.

10+ Year Old Account
    They still have one more chance before the proposal goes into effect.

<< dramatic chord >>

App State was a very good team back then. I dont know if they are still good but they dominated their conference. I wasnt surprised at all. I had to watch App State beat the hell out of my school for 4 years.

---------- Post added 2013-02-16 at 02:01 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    Man I have never been a fan of the Big Ten except for WI which comes down to how they play anyways http://sports.yahoo.com/news/alvarez...02--ncaaf.html Big Ten teams are going to stop playing FCS schools in the near future. That makes me not hate them as much and I wish SEC, Big 12, Pac 12, and ACC would do the same I didn't mention Big East because there not even as good as some of the FCS schools are anyways.
    You can lump the ACC in with the Big East when it comes to being terrible at Football. Also why should the SEC add harder out of conference teams? You already have to play people like SC, GA, FL, LSU, Bama, A&M, Miss State every year. Not to mention Vandy did very well last year and are rising up. Also Tennesse, Arkansas, and Auburn wont be down for long. I mean who would we add to an already brutal conference schedule filled with a plethora of top 10 teams? Texas, Oklahoma, OK State, Oregon, Michigan, Ohio State? Hell why not play a few NFL teams while we are at it.
    Last edited by Lilly32; 2013-02-16 at 07:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    App State was a very good team back then. I dont know if they are still good but they dominated their conference. I wasnt surprised at all. I had to watch App State beat the hell out of my school for 4 years.

---------- Post added 2013-02-16 at 02:01 AM ----------

You can lump the ACC in with the Big East when it comes to being terrible at Football. Also why should the SEC add harder out of conference teams? You already have to play people like SC, GA, FL, LSU, Bama, A&M, Miss State every year. Not to mention Vandy did very well last year and are rising up. Also Tennesse, Arkansas, and Auburn wont be down for long. I mean who would we add to an already brutal conference schedule filled with a plethora of top 10 teams? Texas, Oklahoma, OK State, Oregon, Michigan, Ohio State? Hell why not play a few NFL teams while we are at it.
    You don't have to schedule Oregon,Michigan or anybody like that you can schedule Arizona State, Vandy, Indiana, Iowa State, and other teams like to your schedule at least those teams would give up more of a fight on a constant level. When I buy a ticket to see the Razorbacks play I don't want to see them play Nevada state I want to see them play Oregon State.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    Theres still plenty of WAC, MWC, MAC, Sun Belt ect teams you can beat up on that maybe someone has heard of.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    Theres still plenty of WAC, MWC, MAC, Sun Belt ect teams you can beat up on that maybe someone has heard of.
    Quick, everybody schedule Boise State!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm all for dropping FCS opponents, particularly with the upcoming championship format change (and I'm all for increasing the number of conference games wherever possible). Oddly enough, it looks like the B1G to date has played the fewest number of FCS opponents out of all the AQ conferences since the 1978 divisional split (nice link of football geekdom).

10+ Year Old Account
    Good grief. If these allegations can be substantiated... ouch.

Auburn's football program changed players' grades to secure eligibility, offered money to potential NFL draft picks so they would return for their senior seasons, and violated NCAA recruiting rules under former coach Gene Chizik, according to a report by former New York Times and Sports Illustrated writer Selena Roberts.

The report appears on Roberts' website, Roopstigo.com. According to three former Auburn players, as many as nine players' grades were changed before Auburn's win in the 2011 BCS national championship game.

The 2010 national champion Auburn Tigers were gripped by an epidemic of synthetic marijuana use that led to a rash of failed drug tests and a decision at the highest levels of the university's athletic department to keep the results confidential, ESPN has learned.

A six-month investigation by ESPN The Magazine and "E:60" into the spread of synthetic marijuana at Auburn reveals that a dozen students on the football team, including its star running back, Michael Dyer, failed tests for the designer drug.

The school did not implement testing for the drug until after it won the national championship in January 2011, and as many as a dozen other seniors who used synthetic marijuana were never caught, the investigation also found.
    Gotta love the off-season, eh?

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't hear about the marijuana thing, just the grade fixing and money. The paying college kids secretly could be found it tons of schools. Auburn was just unlucky enough to get caught. I'm surprised that there were that many players on the team smoking marijuana at all. It's actually kind of suspect. 24 players potentially on the same team? That's, what, a third? Somehow I don't believe that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    That's, what, a third? Somehow I don't believe that.
    Yeah, despite the known spate of problems on that roster, I'd have a difficult time thinking his players were that far out of control. And if they somehow were allowed to run amok to that extent, break out the torches and pitchforks. But as usual, we have to sit around and wait while these claims are vetted independently in order to see what has traction and what's just trumped up to make a splash in the headlines. That gets so damned tiresome.

Roberts' story focuses on the 2011 arrest of former Auburn safety Mike McNeil, who is awaiting trial for robbery, a fact Chizik pointed out in his statement. Chizik also wrote he believes any misconduct would have been discovered by the NCAA investigation that Newton's father had asked for money during his son's recruitment.

"The notion that the conduct inferred by Ms. Roberts was occurring under the NCAA's nose, at the very same time the NCAA is conducting its thorough investigation, lacks merit," Chizik wrote.
    ^ I'd like to think so too, but we've seen glaring examples of incompetence from the NCAA also.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://espn.go.com/college-football/...otball-program Ducks punishing themselves 1 scholarship a year for the next 3 years....I love how a coach leaves for the NLF after he knows the program is about to get hit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice. So whatever violations they have, they're allowed to propose their own punishment for it. And the one they have proposed isn't going to change a thing. One scolarship, lah-dee-freaking-dah.
    Last edited by Skarsguard; 2013-04-17 at 12:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Nice. So whatever violations they have, they're allowed to propose their own punishment for it. And the one they have proposed isn't going to change a thing. One scolarship, lah-dee-freaking-dah.

Yeah I was thinking the same NCAA will come down on them I'm sure colleges always try to "punish" themselves but lol yeah this one is a joke.
    Yeah I was thinking the same NCAA will come down on them I'm sure colleges always try to "punish" themselves but lol yeah this one is a joke.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skarsguard View Post
    Even then seems very fishy considering Chip declined the deal with the Eagles, then suddenly decided to. My guess is more is to come.

10+ Year Old Account
    So they came up with a name for the four team championship..........http://espn.go.com/college-football/...layoff-sources /yawn.