Thread: NCAA football

10+ Year Old Account
    Was it like a two-second phone call, or did they actually have to go to the office, drink some coffee, and perform an all-nighter for that kind of decision?

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    lol IDK man I think they just pulled some names out of a hat.

10+ Year Old Account
    They actually got this done. I'm almost amazed.

"The league's athletic directors and presidents also approved a scheduling model that includes at least one team from a major FBS conference per year and no FCS teams. Delany hopes the model will be in place league-wide by 2016."

---------- Post added 2013-04-29 at 05:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Skarsguard View Post
    So they came up with a name for the four team championship..........http://espn.go.com/college-football/...layoff-sources /yawn.
    That's hysterical. My favorite part is that, in reality, it's no more a playoff than the BCS was a series. I almost envy these entities who can freely name themselves things they're not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aww, no "Legends" and whatever? Then how will I make fun of the Big 10?

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    With the exception of Nebraska west looks like a basketball conference. East looks solid though for football.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm in the camp that doesn't favor a 9 game conference schedule when other conferences play 8, all it does is add a bunch more losses to your conference, you ain't got 10 teams any more, quit fooling yourselves

that goes for the pac-12 too

edit - actually in this context it might add wins to the Big Ten since they would just lose the out of conference games anyway, I guess half the teams are guaranteed to win that 9th game which is sadly better than they would fare out in the wild

10+ Year Old Account
    ^ I'm not sure how much of your post is meant to be taken seriously, but the B1G (.747) comes in third amongst AQ conferences for OOC win percentage over the last decade, behind the SEC (.800) and Big XII (.782). (And like we learned on the last page, while scheduling fewer FCS opponents.)

Even if the 9-game schedule weren't a three-pronged strategic approach with good elements to consider, I'd still enjoy it for the B1G, -- mainly for a nice slate of cross-division games, post-expansion. I can't be the only follower of the conference who's sick of meaningless MAC or non-AQ beatdowns. Is there really anyone who wouldn't prefer to tune in to parity-based conference matchups instead?

I don't see how it's a bad thing in the slightest, whether or not other conferences play 8 or 9.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skarsguard View Post
    So they came up with a name for the four team championship..........http://espn.go.com/college-football/...layoff-sources /yawn.
    I can't believe they are including the fucking Chick-fil-A bowl with all those other greats. I know it was because of politics/money but jesus, wtf?!?!?!?

10+ Year Old Account
    460–690 66.7% 5,956 yards 49 TD 8 int

Those are AJ McCarron's numbers going into this upcoming season. The Tide has another stud team. Will this be the year that AJ claims the title of best QB in college history?
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    460–690 66.7% 5,956 yards 49 TD 8 int

Those are AJ McCarron's numbers going into this upcoming season. The Tide has another stud team. Will this be the year that AJ claims the title of best QB in college history?
    Not even close. Not without more yards, and not without having any kind of scrambling capability. Like most Bama QB's, he's great at not screwing up, and letting the defense and running. And he's not going anywhere after that, either. Just like McElroy, he's gonna end up a third-string quarterback somewhere, assuming he even tries for the NFL.

10+ Year Old Account
    So even if the guy wins 3 titles as a starting QB he will still get little respect?

Compare his numbers to the other greats going into their final years. Dude has a shot at Heisman and another national title on top of those absurd numbers playing in the SEC.
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    Titles don't mean anything to anybody. Not the Heisman, not the NFL.

His stats are low. He doesn't put up enough yards. Not even 3,000 either year. Manziel put up 3700 yards in the air alone last year, and there was still talk about him not winning the Heisman. McCarron is very efficient, but the Heisman goes to people who put up "gaudy" numbers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Two things:

• What happens to Selena Roberts (or ESPN and/or E:60) now that those claims about Auburn's program have all but withered and died? Shouldn't these journalists be held responsible for trying to stir up shit when their allegations are unfounded?
    • Also, how 'bout that Gordon Gee? If he were something other than a prominent university president, I might be mildly amused by his commentary.

---------- Post added 2013-05-30 at 11:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    ...the Heisman goes to people who put up "gaudy" numbers.
    Like Leinart, who put up an average of 33 TDs a season.* Sorry, A.J.

* = (May include some loss of institutional control.)
    Last edited by Sayl; 2013-05-31 at 04:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently Manziel tweeted this last night, was quickly deleted.

10+ Year Old Account
    He's gonna end up ruining his career. Already hard at work in the process, and he's only, what, a sophomore in college?

10+ Year Old Account
    He's gonna end up ruining his career. Already hard at work in the process, and he's only, what, a sophomore in college?
    Calling the second coming of Ryan Leaf.

Hes already declared he will be in the 2014 draft, of course not official.

I just think of him as another great college QB that'll be fairly irrelevant in the NFL.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder how badly Oregon will get hit tomorrow. Any resident fans nervous?

10+ Year Old Account
    With a new coach and whatever happens with this, I say Oregon is gonna drop out of the PAC-12 race. USC has been a non-factor, so that leaves, what, Stanford?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ducks-findings

Oregon will continue to do well because they've had success. I love TV sports analysts and their ability to say the stupidest things.

10+ Year Old Account
    USC has been a non-factor, so that leaves, what, Stanford?
    Unless violations keep them out of the postseason, I wouldn't count Oregon out. I'm guessing USC will improve, and that Arizona and UCLA might be worthy of attention. Honestly I'd like to see Washington competitive again, but I don't expect that in the near term.