Thread: NCAA football

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    With a new coach and whatever happens with this, I say Oregon is gonna drop out of the PAC-12 race. USC has been a non-factor, so that leaves, what, Stanford?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ducks-findings

Oregon will continue to do well because they've had success. I love TV sports analysts and their ability to say the stupidest things.
    I'll have to see them play tbh... I feel like they have a ton of talent not to do good in the PAC 12. I mean, like you said there is Stanford and now UCLA. Oregon State also had a good year last year. I'm not a Keith Price believer like some so I don't have much faith in the Huskies. I kinda hate the current coach of the Cougars, I don't see them doing too well either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Arizona had a 4-5 conference record last year. Not really expecting much from them. UCLA maybe, don't they have a new fancy coach?

10+ Year Old Account
    Arizona had a 4-5 conference record last year. Not really expecting much from them.
    They suffered a pair of blowouts but the other three were close contests, and that's in the first year of RichRod (not like I want him to succeed after what he did to Ann Arbor... just saying). They improved as the season progressed, and I'd expect that to continue. They can score, the question will be if they can stop anyone. Someday I'll stop having nightmares about maize and blue clad defenders lining up in the 3-3-5 stack. Ugh.

UCLA maybe, don't they have a new fancy coach?
    And enough young talent to mold into something decent if he plays his cards right.

These are just quasi-educated guesses on my part anyway. Right now I think it's much easier to pick the five weakest than a pair of conference standouts.

---------- Post added 2013-06-26 at 09:53 AM ----------

Well, the way Stew Mandel was talking yesterday, he thought they were going to throw the book at Oregon. But in reality, they're almost unscathed... no bowl ban, probation, one scholarship loss, and pretty much all the blame's on Chip Kelly. Looks fair to me, I have to say.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think its funny that 2 of the best pac 10 teams in the last 7 years had to cheat and still couldn't get past the sec. I'm surprised they didn't do a one year bowl ban and a few more scholarships but whatever I bet USC fans are like WTH and are pissed.

10+ Year Old Account
    So basically Chip Kelly did pull a Pete Carroll expecting the sanctions to be as bad as USC's.

lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Skarsguard View Post
    I think its funny that 2 of the best pac 10 teams in the last 7 years had to cheat and still couldn't get past the sec. I'm surprised they didn't do a one year bowl ban and a few more scholarships but whatever I bet USC fans are like WTH and are pissed.
    A&M, LSU, among many other schools have had questionable dealings with Willie Lyles. Oregon is not the only team.

I honestly think if the sketchiness of Lyles dealings with Kelly at Oregon was a lone incident, the NCAA would have come down a bit harder. As it stands even as an Oregon fan, we got out laughably easy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, we're in the final month. Season beings at the end of August. The latest on Johnny Football isn't good though. He's been alleged of making money off of autographs. I don't know if he did it, but it just piles on to an offseason full of things he's done. If it affects him on the field (whether he's suspended, or dropped completely, or not), expect another Bama SEC title.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only reason the NCAA cares is because they didn't get a cut of the earnings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, we're in the final month. Season beings at the end of August. The latest on Johnny Football isn't good though. He's been alleged of making money off of autographs. I don't know if he did it, but it just piles on to an offseason full of things he's done. If it affects him on the field (whether he's suspended, or dropped completely, or not), expect another Bama SEC title.
    they should probably ban him from interviews again, he was so much more popular when nobody was being exposed to his winning personality...

15+ Year Old Account
    You can chalk up the Bama SEC title anyways whether Manziel can play or not in the Bama/A&M game. Talk about a complete moron though. The last month has just been this kid making one stupid move after another to destroy his future. He gets kicked out of the Manning camp for being hungover and skipping events with the kids the night after several hundred people tweeted about being out drinking with Johnny Football at the local bars (but nah I'm sure he just "overslept"). Then he goes to a frat party at Texas and gets thrown out. Tack on his tweets, his constant association with alcohol despite being 20, his recent arrest and conviction for giving police a fake id (a misdemeanor), not selling autographs for money essentially the same stupid thing that destroyed OSU for a couple years. He is either an absolute idiot or the most spoiled, entitled, manchild in a league that features hundreds of them.

With a new coach and whatever happens with this, I say Oregon is gonna drop out of the PAC-12 race. USC has been a non-factor, so that leaves, what, Stanford?

Oregon will continue to do well because they've had success. I love TV sports analysts and their ability to say the stupidest things.
    DId they lose many players? If not you can give that team a monkey for a coach and they will do well. I think they should compete for the PAC 12 this year. Also im kinda bugged with the media that Ohio State keeps getting considering they play a cup cake schedule again this year. Cant see them losing any games in the regular season.

If i had to made a prediction now, id put Bama and Ohio State (OS just because of them having a lax schedule that nobody will complain about) up for the BCS championship game. Cudos to Nick Saban for having another stout team this year.

Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    DId they lose many players? If not you can give that team a monkey for a coach and they will do well. I think they should compete for the PAC 12 this year. Also im kinda bugged with the media that Ohio State keeps getting considering they play a cup cake schedule again this year. Cant see them losing any games in the regular season.

If i had to made a prediction now, id put Bama and Ohio State (OS just because of them having a lax schedule that nobody will complain about) up for the BCS championship game. Cudos to Nick Saban for having another stout team this year.
    Key players we lost were Kenjon Barner (RB), John Boyett (S), Kiko Alonso (LB), Michael Clay (LB), Dion Jordan(DE), OL's Carson York and Kyle Long and Isaac Remington (DT). We lost a few other seniors but we have huge depth on defense and offense.

Despite not having seen Helfrich in a head coach role other than spring game, this is the same kind of transition we made going from Coach Bellotti to Kelly. Aliotti is still the D Coordinator. I see very little chance of Oregon losing momentum this season. Stanford will be a difficult game and despite recent history, Washington may have upset potential in the first half until they get gassed. Beat Stanford to take Pac North and we're set.

If our cornerbacks stay healthy, expect picks all day. Ekpre-Olomu is like a bigger, better Cliff Harris with better tackles and no criminal record. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM5-orWujdU
    Last edited by Projali; 2013-08-05 at 09:21 PM.

AH ok, didnt think they lost that many people. Still, the offense still has a lot of speed and potential to carry a weeker defense for a while.

10+ Year Old Account
    AH ok, didnt think they lost that many people. Still, the offense still has a lot of speed and potential to carry a weeker defense for a while.
    I was thinking more because of the head coach leaving plus the trouble they're in. Wasn't really thinking about the roster, other than Barner.

- - - Updated - - -

And speaking of Alabama, it looks like they'll be ok after AJ McCarron leaves http://espn.go.com/college-sports/re...a-crimson-tide

15+ Year Old Account

The only tough game OSU even plays is Michigan who they should play twice this year unless Michigan blows it which, as a Michigan fan, would surprise me since Michigan lost their biggest weakness this offseason, namely Denard Robinson. There is no excuse for either of those teams to not win their division and play in the Big 10 Championship game. Maybe Northwestern is okay again and can give OSU a tough game. Maybe the Buckeyes nearly blow it to Cal again. Even with one loss though, the Buckeyes should walk out of their division because wow is the Leaders (or Legends who the fuck can remember) is bad.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Oregon should do as well or better than last year. They keep their marquee qb and bring back a lot of talent. Sure, they lost some people, but what team doesn't.

Yeah, sports analysts can be such idiots. How do they get paid for that crap?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Projali View Post
    Key players we lost were Kenjon Barner (RB), John Boyett (S), Kiko Alonso (LB), Michael Clay (LB), Dion Jordan(DE), OL's Carson York and Kyle Long and Isaac Remington (DT). We lost a few other seniors but we have huge depth on defense and offense.

Despite not having seen Helfrich in a head coach role other than spring game, this is the same kind of transition we made going from Coach Bellotti to Kelly. Aliotti is still the D Coordinator. I see very little chance of Oregon losing momentum this season. Stanford will be a difficult game and despite recent history, Washington may have upset potential in the first half until they get gassed. Beat Stanford to take Pac North and we're set.

If our cornerbacks stay healthy, expect picks all day. Ekpre-Olomu is like a bigger, better Cliff Harris with better tackles and no criminal record. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM5-orWujdU
    Alabama and Ohio State have such lax schedules this year (and I say that knowing that Oregon has their open at home against Nicolas State, or w/e their name is) how can anyone expect to advance past the already picked #1 and #2? I mean, the only real game Bama has is TX A&M, and Johnny seems determined to get booted from the NCAA, so that might be an easy win, even as an away game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I sure hope Johnny Foosball is playing. We owe him a pounding. Sucks seeing the guy go downhill all off season, because he was fun to watch.

So I guess the question is who will Alabama be playing in the championship. Bama has an easy schedule and could easily be undefeated this year. I would love to see Bama whoop up on Ohio State. Looking at our recruiting will tell you that Bama domination is not going away for a while.

Oh yes, the only really good time of year in this town is approaching. I for one am stoked.
    Last edited by Roose; 2013-08-07 at 12:14 AM.
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes the sports analysts get it right and make me laugh http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...220716523.html

@Roose, so...who wins the SEC east? Seems no one preseason is a definite choice. Maybe...Georgia?

10+ Year Old Account
    I am thinking UGA. They will have an awesome offense. Some are saying that Florida may surprise, but just as many say UF overachieved last year. SC is always dangerous and could take it too, if they can score some points. More interesting than the West this year, but I could be very wrong depending on how LSU comes out.

Looking at the schedules, I think it is pretty wide open. I say Bama will plow through, but shit happens. I am ready for kickoff for sure.

Really missing Paul Finebaum right now.
    Last edited by Roose; 2013-08-07 at 05:59 PM.
    I like sandwiches