Thread: NCAA football

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    When it says it starts at 3:30, I wish that actually meant the game, not "the players aren't even in the damn stadium yet".
    Lol, totally. Blowouts in the Top 5 so far. For some reason, I thought Tenn would give Bama a bit of a run. FL St looks insanely good right now, although it is NC St.

Furman has scored more on LSU in the first quarter than Florida did the entire game.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm so tired of the announcers bitching about how Oregon is doing vs a #12 team compared to the other top 4 teams when they are playing pussycats.

Furman's chances were short lived, haha.

Oregon finally holding onto the ball and converting like they should.

10+ Year Old Account
    I get home and Mizzou/South Carolina going into OT, wow.

Mizzou scores first.

- - - Updated - - -

You gotta be kidding me. Missouri misses a 24 yard field goal in 2OT, and loses...

Thomas Tyner showed how crazy good he's gonna be in the next few years.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Projali View Post
    Thomas Tyner showed how crazy good he's gonna be in the next few years.
    He's just amazing. Marshall is crushing it. I wonder what is up with DAT sitting the second half?

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow. Duke beat Virginia Tech. I guess I was right.

OSU's not gonna beat Stanford if they keep putting the ball on the ground.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2013-10-27 at 04:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I'm so tired of the announcers bitching about how Oregon is doing vs a #12 team compared to the other top 4 teams when they are playing pussycats.
    UCLA is severely overrated right now, they're starting 3 freshman on the offensive line and missing their starting RB and hundley has been severely exposed the past 2 weeks. they were overrated for their matchup with stanford, but right now they're not a top 20 team and their offense is just bad. hundley is not a good passer against a halfway decent defense, the zone confused the fuck out of him and they can't run the ball well enough to live on that. UCLA's defense is good but has no depth at all, they just got tired and had no chance in the second half.

they're the VT of the west coast, nothing more. duke would beat their asses too i'm sure. hundley looks so much like logan thomas to me it's not even funny.

bama and FSU had their games won in the first 15 minutes. oregon couldn't pull away from UCLA's skeleton crew until the final 15 minutes. that's the main difference. oregon had a chance to shine and didn't. cal and stanford shut UCLA's running game down, stanford just shut UCLA down completely. oregon should have done the same

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wowhasnothrone View Post
    UCLA is severely overrated right now, they're starting 3 freshman on the offensive line and missing their starting RB and hundley has been severely exposed the past 2 weeks. they were overrated for their matchup with stanford, but right now they're not a top 20 team and their offense is just bad. hundley is not a good passer against a halfway decent defense, the zone confused the fuck out of him and they can't run the ball well enough to live on that. UCLA's defense is good but has no depth at all, they just got tired and had no chance in the second half.

they're the VT of the west coast, nothing more. duke would beat their asses too i'm sure. hundley looks so much like logan thomas to me it's not even funny.

bama and FSU had their games won in the first 15 minutes. oregon couldn't pull away from UCLA's skeleton crew until the final 15 minutes. that's the main difference. oregon had a chance to shine and didn't. cal and stanford shut UCLA's running game down, stanford just shut UCLA down completely. oregon should have done the same
    Nothing in this entire statement is correct. I love it when east coast people try and tell me that a pac-12 team is overrated, for whatever contrived reason they feel will work, yet when the SEC has teams getting beat down, and are in the same position, they claim they are the toughest conference in the nation.

It's all bullshit. The SEC hype is all bullshit. Yes, they are a good conference - no question about it. So is the Pac-12. The same reasoning used to say the SEC is good cannot be ignored when discussing the Pac-12.

Duke wouldn't last six seconds against UCLA. Most of the SEC would have significant trouble against the varied styles of the Pac-12 teams.

And remember, Oregon was one of two top-5 teams playing a top-25 opponent this week, and they were the only ones who won - and Oregon's opponent was top 15.

And talk about overrated - fucking FSU - it's ridiculous that a team with that kind of cupcake schedule is ranked second in the nation - there's a conference we could have a serious discussion about being overrated. I will not be missing the BCS whatsoever. Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, Arizona State and possibly Oregon State would beat Clemson in any venue.
    Last edited by cubby; 2013-10-27 at 05:27 PM.

OSU's not gonna beat Stanford if they keep putting the ball on the ground.
    Overall it was a good game, I think. I enjoyed how it really came down to defense. Both teams committed terrible turnovers that lead to the other scoring, but Stanford only gave up a field goal out of it. Had OSU not given up that touchdown at the start of the second half, I think they would have come out on top. Regardless, great display of defense by both teams in a time when games seem more about who can keep offensive momentum in a shootout than hard-fought, "old school" football.

- - - Updated - - -

So is the Pac-12.
    PAC-12 gets better every year. I wouldn't be shocked if they're considered the better conference next year. If OSU's offensive duo stays on as seniors, that would be three teams (UO, OSU, UU) with elite (or at least elite-ish) quarterbacks. Washington State also seems like a sleeper team to me next year; they seem to give teams fits even if they lose.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wowhasnothrone View Post
    UCLA's defense is good but has no depth at all, they just got tired and had no chance in the second half.
    Nah, that's really more a product of Oregon's insane offense waking up in the second half.

10+ Year Old Account
    And talk about overrated - fucking FSU - it's ridiculous that a team with that kind of cupcake schedule is ranked second in the nation - there's a conference we could have a serious discussion about being overrated. I will not be missing the BCS whatsoever. Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, Arizona State and possibly Oregon State would beat Clemson in any venue.
    I was with you until you said Arizona State and Oregon State could beat Clemson. The ACC is always overrated. Maybe not to the extent of treating them like the Big East, but still. I would love to see more games like that. Clemson would manhandle those two.

I wish I understood how strength of schedule is calculated. Because I'm not so sure I agree with the list.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I was with you until you said Arizona State and Oregon State could beat Clemson. The ACC is always overrated. Maybe not to the extent of treating them like the Big East, but still. I would love to see more games like that. Clemson would manhandle those two.
    I may have gotten carried away there at the end. I could see those last two teams having some trouble.

I wish I understood how strength of schedule is calculated. Because I'm not so sure I agree with the list.
    Same here.
    Last edited by cubby; 2013-10-27 at 07:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Clemson would manhandle those two.
    One would think, but then again I'd have expected the same about BC and Maryland, and they both gave Clemson fits for a while.

I wish I understood how strength of schedule is calculated.
    There hasn't been a unified standard for working it out since the BCS dropped its SOS component in 2003. I think the current problem is twofold: 1) everyone seems to calculate and weight it differently, and 2) we can't objectively measure how tough a given schedule was until season's end.

That's no fun though when people want to argue over incomplete datasets now.

Because I'm not so sure I agree with the list.
    Hell, Buffalo was once the #1 according to their list (presumably due to Ohio State), as was San Jose State (...Stanford) and Temple (...Notre Dame) -- which gives the impression their system is giving preference to highly ranked opponents with home field advantage rather than looking at complete schedules. (I hate when those things are posted without a formula or explanation.) But even as a current snapshot, I don't buy eight of the top ten being SEC. Even Sagarin's SOS rankings aren't that wonky.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Overall it was a good game, I think. I enjoyed how it really came down to defense. Both teams committed terrible turnovers that lead to the other scoring, but Stanford only gave up a field goal out of it. Had OSU not given up that touchdown at the start of the second half, I think they would have come out on top. Regardless, great display of defense by both teams in a time when games seem more about who can keep offensive momentum in a shootout than hard-fought, "old school" football.
    It was a fun game to watch, I just got frustrated watching Mannion get sacked again and again. I got the impression that he was so worried about tossing picks that he'd resigned himself to getting drilled in the pocket instead. I know their OL was overwhelmed most of the time, but sheesh -- if you can't deal with the pass rush, run out of the tackle box and at least make an effort to throw it away. Or something.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    And Oregon "rockets" ahead of FL St (ahem, ACC sucks!) to take their rightful place at #2. Certainly will stay that way if both teams win out, too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only the final standings count...

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    Only the final standings count...
    So true, but that's what they will be assuming AL and OR win out. So in this case, current standings have some relevance - if anything, to my sanity.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm just glad this is the last year of it. No more parading incomplete numbers around for months on end just to generate conversation and arguments. ESPN and ABC are milking it for all it's worth, too. DIE BCS DIE.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    I'm just glad this is the last year of it. No more parading incomplete numbers around for months on end just to generate conversation and arguments. ESPN and ABC are milking it for all it's worth, too. DIE BCS DIE.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

Any good word on how the new system will work?

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Any good word on how the new system will work?
    By committee: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College...tion_committee