Thread: NCAA football

15+ Year Old Account
    i'd love to see a superbowl or bowl game at lambieu field (spelling?)

Quote Originally Posted by Vampiroth View Post
    Dude you are crazy. Duke's year more impressive? Come on be real.
    Clemson always has 10 win years. This is the first time in school history that Duke has. Please tell me how doing something for the first time is less impressive than a school that does it every few years?

Clemson doesn't always have 10 win years.How is it more impressive? Because Clemson is the better team. Easily.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    Clemson always has 10 win years. This is the first time in school history that Duke has. Please tell me how doing something for the first time is less impressive than a school that does it every few years?
    It's a matter of who they do it with, to a certain degree. I know the conversations about which conference is better and which schedules are tougher can go on forever, but at some level, some conferences are better than others. Some schedules are tougher than other.

Given that, while it is an impressive feat for a team to finally achieve 10 wins for the first time, it is also very qualified to the teams they "finally" beat. And then taking those wins and comparing them to other team's wins, it is overall less impressive as it relates to choosing the best teams to battle for the national title.

So yes, impressive that Duke finally did it, but no, not so as we look to choosing a team to compete for overall superiority in the country, or to be chosen for one of a few slots in major bowl games.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampiroth View Post
    Clemson doesn't always have 10 win years.How is it more impressive? Because Clemson is the better team. Easily.
    lets comparing it using other sports

Whats more impressive the Red Sox having a 100 win season or the KC Royals?
    Whats more impressive the Patriots having a 14 win season or the Jaguars?
    Whats more Impressive the Miami Heat winning 62 games or the Charlotte Bobcats?

Its more impressive when a team that hardly ever wins does the same thing as a good team. Also people in Clemson expect to win 9 or 10 games every year. No one in the country, even people in Durham, expects Duke to win more than 5 or 6.
    Last edited by Dabrix32; 2013-12-05 at 06:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Today we find out about the investigation on Winston.

No matter what the outcome, I am sad to hear that Ron Burgundy and Champ Kind will not be reporting it.
    I like sandwiches

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    It's too bad mediocre conferences are locked into bowl games. For second year in a row, a LOT of people would love to see the Ducks/Tide matchup, and it once again won't happen.
    It has nothing to do with conference tie ins. That only applies to the Conf. champions. Since FSU will likely be in the NC game, they are free to pick ANY suitable replacement team, provided they aren't locked into another bowl (and other restrictions I noted). So as I explained a few pages ago, there's nothing stopping the Orange Bowl from picking Oregon vs. Alabama if they so choose. But with Oregon's recent performances, many people are predicting that they will go with Clemson. They could go with Baylor as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Winston won't be charged.
    Last edited by Stommped; 2013-12-05 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    Winston won't be charged.
    Yep. No charges.
    http://www.tallahassee.com/article/2...on-not-charged

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nbm02ss View Post
    Press conference was pretty damned disgusting. Apparently rape is funny stuff in Tallahassee.

http://thebiglead.com/2013/12/05/vid...ss-conference/
    I like sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    Press conference was pretty damned disgusting. Apparently rape is funny stuff in Tallahassee.

http://thebiglead.com/2013/12/05/vid...ss-conference/
    I don't think anyone was chuckling over the case itself, but rather over some of the silly questions the press were asking.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    It has nothing to do with conference tie ins. That only applies to the Conf. champions. Since FSU will likely be in the NC game, they are free to pick ANY suitable replacement team, provided they aren't locked into another bowl (and other restrictions I noted). So as I explained a few pages ago, there's nothing stopping the Orange Bowl from picking Oregon vs. Alabama if they so choose. But with Oregon's recent performances, many people are predicting that they will go with Clemson. They could go with Baylor as well.
    Just to finish my thought, while it's not in the rules that the Orange Bowl would have to take Clemson, it's generally perceived as the "right" thing to do given their partnership. Since Oregon and Baylor aren't going to bring anything more in terms of $ than Clemson would, there's really no reason for them not to stay true to their partner. This Yahoo columnist summed it up nicely:

The Orange Bowl gets to replace number one Florida State first and does so by taking two-time defending champ Alabama, whose regular season is over at 11-1. With the first at-large pick, they’ll likely hold true to their ACC contracts and take Clemson as the opponent. If the Orange decides honoring the ACC (who they just signed a long-term deal with) isn’t their first priority, you could easily see Alabama vs. Oregon or Baylor.
    As a fan of none of the 3 teams, I think I would like to see Baylor the most vs. Bama. They've been a point scoring machine all season with the exception of one road, primetime game against a great team. Would like to see that offense go against Bama's defense.
    Last edited by Stommped; 2013-12-05 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    lets comparing it using other sports

Whats more impressive the Red Sox having a 100 win season or the KC Royals?
    Whats more impressive the Patriots having a 14 win season or the Jaguars?
    Whats more Impressive the Miami Heat winning 62 games or the Charlotte Bobcats?

Its more impressive when a team that hardly ever wins does the same thing as a good team. Also people in Clemson expect to win 9 or 10 games every year. No one in the country, even people in Durham, expects Duke to win more than 5 or 6.
    I know what you are saying, but that's just not how it works. You can't beat shit teams and have 2 loses to shit team and expect to get to a BCS bowl. They should be happy with the chick-fil-a bowl if they even end up there.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Ah, ok. I wasn't sure exactly how that was going to work. While I am a huge fan of Oregon, their performance over the last 1/3 of this season has me worried about a matchup against Alabama.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nbm02ss View Post
    Just as I figured. It was probably an Alabama fan that wanted to sabotage FSUs team so they could go after the championship again. Then they lost anyway

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm gonna vote against the ice bowls mentioned on the previous page, that doesn't sound fun.

I think it snowed here once in my lifetime, like 23 years ago. Brrrrr I'm cold just thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Just as I figured. It was probably an Alabama fan that wanted to sabotage FSUs team so they could go after the championship again. Then they lost anyway
    Please please please tell me you're being sarcastic.

Because the report was filed almost a year ago: before he was anyone to care about.

And we all knew he wasn't getting charged because it's he said/she said at this point AND Tallahassee's DA would be crucified and burned for charging FSU's superstar. Hell, half of the people in Tallahassee would give their own daughter to FSU's QB if he were doing what Winston is.
    Last edited by Drikkink; 2013-12-06 at 05:00 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Northern Illinois just watched it's BCS chance dissapear.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    Northern Illinois just watched it's BCS chance dissapear.
    Yep, thank god too. I still can't believe UCF is going to presumably get one too. NIU shouldn't be playing against any of the big boys.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Yep, thank god too. I still can't believe UCF is going to presumably get one too. NIU shouldn't be playing against any of the big boys.
    i agree, watched them play today and it was just embarrasingly bad BG made them look

And the good games today get started at 4. SEC championship should be interesting, I think Auburn has enough momentum to knock off Missou but I'd like to see Missou win the SEC championship after all the shittalking I've heard from the SEC about how they're so much better than other conferences. It's been fun watching you try to dominate the two middle of the pack Big 12 teams you let in and failing.

Go Bucks! Have to say I'm worried about this game though. All SEC rhetoric aside, MSU is a very good team and they're going to bring it.