Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Coming back to Rift

Going to try out the game again and for my first character I want a dps machine that can farm effectively too. I would also like to hold some pvp viability. I don't know what specs perform what way so just curious as to current players opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Necrocurious View Post
    I played a paladin as my main for 6 years and I've recently switched to a combat rogue to spice it up. I highly recommend trying a rogue out, they're fun and I'm finding my firelands/tol'barad dailies to be pretty easy on him. I never PVP, but I can't imagine that rogues are bad at it.
    MMO-Champion
    » Forum
    » Video Games
    » Rift

Think he was talking about Rift.
    Hi

Deleted
    I played a paladin as my main for 6 years and I've recently switched to a combat rogue to spice it up. I highly recommend trying a rogue out, they're fun and I'm finding my firelands/tol'barad dailies to be pretty easy on him. I never PVP, but I can't imagine that rogues are bad at it.
    Think you are in the wrong forum bro

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    *Rift Subforum*

Go rogue with a Ranger/Assassin build, they are pretty badass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Think you are in the wrong forum bro
    Cut the Guy some slack <3

The game name wasn't mentioned in the title some people only look at the new posts and don't venture into the sub forums or off topic ones.

Deleted
    And not a single slack was cut that day !!

Well I picked up rift again a few days ago. I went back to my mage and a lot have changed since lunch. I'm inn no way any expert on rift but mages do look quite good atm. Wariors are still a beast, rogues aint to shaby from what I understand and clerics are strong healers but lacking inn dps atm.

For soloing both clerics and mages are strong. They are also fairly good inn pvp. So it depends what role you want to do inn pve? but if you want to go pure dps as the op suggest, I would say warrior or mage based on my casual approach to the game. Those two classes hold the top dps souls atm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bany View Post
    And not a single slack was cut that day !!
    Haha, I modified the title to avoid confusion, I doubt it will be the last stray post.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you are a melee kind of person I'd say warrior. Good AoE and single target grinding/soloing while leveling...gods on the battlefield in every bracket I've played so far...suppose to have really good dps for end game pve if that's your thing.

If you want a melee and ranged option then go for rogue. I have a 48 Assassin which is a ton of fun and good dps ...but if there is a dps warrior or mage is in the group they just make my dps look stoopid (and I have 4/4 transplanar gear).

Here is my take on dps in rift at an endgame level:
    Cleric if played to maximum potential is a 1 button macro spam for single target, ie boring as all hell and is currently massively inferior to other classes except in heavy AoE.
    Warrior is premier single target dps and involves 2-4 buttons and also provides fairly decent AoE.
    Rogue provides very good single target and reasonable aoe with a decent single target rotation and single skill spam for AoE.
    Mage has multiple dps specs of varying complexity with each one providing higher dps at the cost of difficulty. It's single target is great and its AoE is unmatched in an appropriate spec.

I am biased since I main as a mage but I've found every other calling too simple and boring for my tastes.

I love my Cleric for PVP as well as PVE.

Put my Justicar spec on for PVP and I can have 3 people beating on me and still not kill me while they all die.The self healing of my spec setup makes me almost unstoppable in PVP unless you have a group of 5 get on me.Only then can their damage outdo my self healing.Hardly call that inferior.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
    Going to try out the game again and for my first character I want a dps machine that can farm effectively too. I would also like to hold some pvp viability. I don't know what specs perform what way so just curious as to current players opinions.
    Rogue.

Rogues have competitive DPS with the pure melee Warriors and pure range Mages. With the benefit Rogues can be both range and melee. They are also beastly tanks and devastating in PVP.

Cleric is the only class with subpar DPS specs. But that's because their healing output is greater than any other class. Ironically, cleric are the greatest soloing class and the best farm class- because they have zero down time and are so TOUGH in the open world. But in a raid environment, clerics don't have the overall DPS for a 7+ minute encounter to keep pace.

You def. want to play a rogue based on your above statement.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2011-11-18 at 06:57 PM.

Meh, go with Warrior , they are my favorite calling in RIFT. For soloing though i would go with a Champion/Warden/Paragon. That worked for me, and it would still be good in pvp

Warriors are the weakest class in the open world. Limited heals, contingent based healing, high gearing threshold as a barrier to efficacy.

Warriors also are considered the WORSE PVP class. As the majority of warrior DPS is physical based damage. Physical damage is DOUBLY reduced by natural armor, shields and VALOR in PVP.

Warriors excel in raiding solely. Where compounded raid buffs jack up warriors beyond the % modifiers of other classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Warriors are the weakest class in the open world. Limited heals, contingent based healing, high gearing threshold as a barrier to efficacy.

Warriors also are considered the WORSE PVP class. As the majority of warrior DPS is physical based damage. Physical damage is DOUBLY reduced by natural armor, shields and VALOR in PVP.

Warriors excel in raiding solely. Where compounded raid buffs jack up warriors beyond the % modifiers of other classes.
    Hmm, well i haven't played in a few months because my laptop can barely play the game so maybe things changed : / also never got to lvl 50 XD

10+ Year Old Account
    Mmmm prolly gonna go with rogue, likely the most variable class in the game, melee dps/tank/ranged dps/bard(I have seen bards heal a boss before).

I love my mages especially with the 1.6 pyro changes but in pvp rogues are pretty much the winners, just remember Fan Out, and they can easily farm, can have a tanking pet, etc. Very good all around class. Very good dps in raids as well.
    Farewell WoW Pandaland
    Intel i5 2.67 OC 3.3ghz | ATI 6950 850mhz OC 920Stable 950 Push 1000Insane

Quote Originally Posted by Cts53 View Post
    Hmm, well i haven't played in a few months because my laptop can barely play the game so maybe things changed : / also never got to lvl 50 XD
    Yea. Figures.

My main is a Warrior. Tank/DPS.

Warriors really struggle with normalized valor in PVP. Their open world effectiveness at L50 drops dramatically as well.

Warrior is a great class. But the OP is looking for an efficient farming/soloing class with great DPS. That would be a Rogue, absolutely, non debatable. If a warrior represents the pinnacle of melee DPS and a mage ranged DPS- the rogue falls in the middle while still having constant self heals, tank-like armor and zero downtime killing ability.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Yea. Figures.

My main is a Warrior. Tank/DPS.

Warriors really struggle with normalized valor in PVP. Their open world effectiveness at L50 drops dramatically as well.

Warrior is a great class. But the OP is looking for an efficient farming/soloing class with great DPS. That would be a Rogue, absolutely, non debatable. If a warrior represents the pinnacle of melee DPS and a mage ranged DPS- the rogue falls in the middle while still having constant self heals, tank-like armor and zero downtime killing ability.
    They also all hack in pvp. Trufax.
    Farewell WoW Pandaland
    Intel i5 2.67 OC 3.3ghz | ATI 6950 850mhz OC 920Stable 950 Push 1000Insane

Also a Rogue hitting 8 people in PVP with AOE from range and leeching 50% of the healing from all enemies simultaneously make rogues PVP gods.

Rogues are able to do this with no cooldown and without limitation.

There is no question, the OP wants a Rogue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guess I will be rolling a rogue, easy enough. Are rogues the best farmers of all classes? Or are clerics better?