10+ Year Old Account

Looking to upgrade.

Mainboard : MSI MSI P6N SLI
    Chipset : nVidia nForce 650i SLI SPP
    Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2200MHz
    Physical Memory : 3072MB (3 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )
    Operating System : Windows 7 Professional Professional Media Center 6.01.7601 Service Pack 1 (32-bit) (Also have 64bit Win 7)
    DirectX : Version 11.00
    Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260

This is what I got in this thing now. It's been quite some time since I put this thing together.
    I'd like to upgrade it a bit to more current specs.

One thing I found is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814162062
    I'd like to SLI these and thinking about putting in watercooling since atm I'm running a bit warmer then I'd like.

Also thinking about getting a new processor with a little more power but not sure what be best. I do mostly gaming atm mostly WoW soon D3 and GW2.
    If that helps. I have corporate connections so prices I could get cheaper. Just need a few tips / suggestions I'm a bit out of practice.

I'm also open to even upgrading the mother board. If any other information needed I'll check back often.

Basically what you want is processor+motherboard+ram upgrade first and keep the GTX260 + install 64bit windows, when you have more money, get better graphics card too. That GTX450 is actually slightly worse than your current graphics card.

How much you can spend now on the immediate upgrades, and tell more about your current PSU/HDD/ODD in case those need special care.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Basically what you want is processor+motherboard+ram upgrade first and keep the GTX260 + install 64bit windows, when you have more money, get better graphics card too. That GTX450 is actually slightly worse than your current graphics card.

How much you can spend now on the immediate upgrades, and tell more about your current PSU/HDD/ODD in case those need special care.
    Ok this is what I'm looking at now;
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231427
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128502
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103727
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Going to hang onto the GTX260 card for now.
    HDD/ODD have already been upgraded and PSU I put in I got one with much more then I needed at the time.

So this mesh well?

(EDIT)
    Also looking to spend under $300 but no more then $400 at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by FearXI View Post
    Ok this is what I'm looking at now;
    This is the processor you should pick up http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115078
    (Cant use AMD CPU on Intel board what you picked)

Problem with i3-2100 is that you can't overclock it, but it will run games about as fast as the Phenom x4 965 even if it's only dualcore. If your budget can take it i5-2500K is currently the best processor for gaming use and will work with the motherboard and RAM you picked... just costs $100 more.

With the HDD/DVD I meant that if they're on PATA cables you can't use those on most motherboards since new boards support only SATA discs. There are few specific models supporting the old discs if you need one.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok I found this motherboard;
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131636

And everything's SATA.

Rather get Intel processor and motherboard than AMD because those are currently better for gaming. Better in raw performance and better in value.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought it was the other way around?
    When did this change?

When did this change?
    When Sandy Bridge cpu's came out and AMD hasn't made anything that remotely compares.

Edit: Sandy Bridge refers to the current line of i3-2100, i5-2600, i7-2700 processors. They are incredibly good value for the money and rely on a new architecture that means you can't compare clock speeds 1:1. They are just a really impressive piece of technology and affordable. If you compare even the brand new AMD stuff to them, there's no contest really (except for very small specific niches I believe).

10+ Year Old Account
    Like I said I've been out of practice for a long time.

When did this change?
    When Sandy Bridges came out.

This is the AMD PhenomII x4 964 vs Intel i3-2100, both of which costs the same within $1 in Newegg. As you can see the Intel is better even on low end, and when you compare it to the current king of gaming processors... Difference in games that are CPU capped like WoW for example are pretty significant.

PhenomII 965 is still relevant if you already have AMD motherboard and want to trade up for better processor, but it's not good value for money to buy one new right now and need both mobo and cpu.
    Trolling should be.

I approve! that should get you well on your way to gorgeous-ness

If you have a 300-400$ budget you can get better...

MoBo: MSI P67A-G43 – $109.99 Review
    CPU: Intel i5 2500k – $219.99
    RAM: G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz 2x4GB – $47.99

or

MoBo: ASUS P8Z68-V – $129.99
    CPU: Intel i5 2500k – $219.99
    RAM: G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz 2x4GB – $54.99

Z68 would make it a little more 'future proof', i5-2500k would be soo much better then the i3-2100, and you can get a less expensive brand of RAM (kingston or w/e) to fit the budget. Then upgrade your GPU when you have cash to a 6870/560ti/6950 or something depending on your budget at that time (170-300$; get them on sale)

the i3 2100 is faster in gaming than ANY AMD processor.
    anandtech(dot)com/bench/CPU/2

just slot them in and compare. Has a section for GPU's too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Changed my mind and went with intel and grabbing a i5-2500K processor.
    All said and done only cost me barely $200

Thanks all for the help