10+ Year Old Account

Is It Possible To Copyright/Patent Computer Gestures and Commands?

I'm uncertain as to the difference between copyrights and patents, but I'm wondering... is it possible to copyright gestures used on a computer, things like ctrl + alt + del or right clicking your mouse and moving the cursor downwards to open a new tab (a la Opera Browser)?

Quote Originally Posted by Rec View Post
    I'm uncertain as to the difference between copyrights and patents, but I'm wondering... is it possible to copyright gestures used on a computer, things like ctrl + alt + del or right clicking your mouse and moving the cursor downwards to open a new tab (a la Opera Browser)?
    I know you would not be able to patent it.
    As for copyright, i dont think so either.

Seeing as how the capability to use mouse gestures already exists, and how software developers are free to use hooks to detect such use of a mouse, no.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as I understand it, you can get a patent on something unintuitive and new. For instance, apple has (had?) a patent for pinch to zoom. Key combinations are definitely intuitive.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Deleted
    Americans and their copyright needs..

Why would you want to copyright something like a gesture ;_;

Mod Warning: There's no need to bring country bashing into this. Plus, if you bother to check the information under the OP's avatar, they are from Canada.
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2011-11-19 at 11:20 PM.

Deleted
    I'd like to copywright the human body.

Deleted
    Yes, but it needs to be a specific gesture that performs a specific function/command. It may also require a defined environment as well (only applies to a frame inside a frame, or something similar). Also keep in mind that if its been done before - the patent will likely be invalid.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-11-19 at 12:21 PM.