Poll: Read post

Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

3 million euros and wow difficulty

I want to ask you simple question.

Lets assume there is a contest. We take 28 people with the age of 25-35 that never played World of Warcraft before. They all will be smart and educated enough.
    We put them all into the building without any communication to the world. I mean no internet, no newspapers, no phones, nothing. They will get food, medical treatment etc. Lets say they are mentally stable enough to play wow for several years as well.
    We give them dedicated wow server. Totally new and empty. Exact copy of current live servers.
    We promise that they will get 3 million euros each if they kill Ragnaros 25man HEROIC within 1 year. We promise 1 million euros for killing it within 2 years and 500k for killing it within 3 years.

They will have to start from the beginning. They will have to choose classes, level up their characters, learn their classes and class abilities, learn how to dps properly, discover what buffs give them, discover professions, learn how to gather herbs, how to mine, how to switch raid difficulty, how to CC - everything. Without any help.

Whats your opinion - will they be able to kill Ragnaros 25man heroic? How long it will take them to kill it? And why do you think so?
    Last edited by traen; 2011-11-19 at 05:26 PM.

Yeah they would kill him.
    1 year is a long time, they would get most of the practice/mechanics from gearing up to it/leveling and having no jobs/other worries it would be done.

Deleted
    Considering the fact that Ragnaros is now 30% weaker I would say yes, they should be able to kill him in 1 year, especially because they will have nothing else to do, no jobs, no lives, no other ways of entertainment, no sex..

Deleted
    for a totally new person to the game, it'll take 3 weeks to level up to 85 max, i could see them killing heroic ragnaros within 5 months.

WoW non-stop? Probably 1 year yeah, a lot of people are just bad because they're fairly casual (nothing wrong with that) - Doing it non-stop would probably be very easy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Without a doubt. A year is a very long time. If its all they are doing they will level cap very quickly and begin gearing/practice. SInce they are all working together they will gear very quick. It is all accelerated by your factors.

Deleted
    I can imagine this within few months, half a year tops.

Nope. There isn't an economy in the game, thus a lot of their supplies are limited.
    They probably would all quit a week or two in (if they even last that long).
    They wouldn't know how to theorycraft and the results that come with it, unless someone in that group happens to be interested/knowledgeable in that field of work. (Which I wouldn't bet on)

Assuming fair levels of intelligence and skills, yes, and even more so if at least some of them have previous (MMORPG) gaming experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    As they obviously don't have access to internet, it will probably be a case of having someone that could think of making some kind of theorycraft, as choosing between several stats is pretty hard...
    If you look at how much mods the average WoW user uses, it's the question whether they have someone who knows how to make mods or not.
    But yeah, when they all put a full year of game-time in, and effort, they should be able to down Rag25 in a year... Just so much variables. When none of them ever gamed, none of them ever modded something, none of them are very good at math, and none of them great strategic thinkers, it will be very hard for them...
    Ex-GM and Raidleader of the MoX Purple Kittens Raidteam on Twisting Nether (formerly Grim Batol), RIP, Winter 2010 - Spring 2013.
    Armory. WoWProgress. Might start streaming Soon(tm) http://twitch.tv/szem/

Easily. I believe, with no outside contact, they will communicate more. With all the ingame help (such as dungeon journal and mouseover details) they'll figure it out.

Bear in mind guys, these people have no concept of what an rDPS is or even armour types, they have no access to Elitist Jerks and no theory crafting tools at their disposal, you're underestimating the challenge they face here.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdream View Post
    Bear in mind guys, these people have no concept of what an rDPS is or even armour types, they have no access to Elitist Jerks and no theory crafting tools at their disposal, you're underestimating the challenge they face here.
    But you don't need theory-crafting tools to play. I would imagine that if you were playing for a year you'd start to work these kinds of things out for yourself. Like "Oh look, I've added this extra +20 hit but this creature still isn't dying any quicker than it was before. I'll try something else".

If they literally don't have to anything else other than play WoW, and they are fairly intelligent, they will work it out by themselves by using each others strengths.

Quote Originally Posted by Irraticate View Post
    Nope. There isn't an economy in the game, thus a lot of their supplies are limited.
    They probably would all quit a week or two in (if they even last that long).
    They wouldn't know how to theorycraft and the results that come with it, unless someone in that group happens to be interested/knowledgeable in that field of work. (Which I wouldn't bet on)
    This.

Theorycrafting doesn't just appear out of nowhere. It's taken us seven years to get to the point that we're at now in terms of third-party resources, and just look at how many truly awful players there still are out there, even in deeply progressed raiding guilds. I would make a (wild) estimate (in the dark) that only around a quarter of the WoW-playing community currently makes any meaningful use of theorycrafting sites and forums, and that not all of that 25% even learns anything worthwhile from them.

So I'd imagine that throwing a random assortment of people into a locked room and telling them to figure everything out on their own would have a pretty disappointing result.

Quote Originally Posted by LemonSocks View Post
    But you don't need theory-crafting tools to play. I would imagine that if you were playing for a year you'd start to work these kinds of things out for yourself. Like "Oh look, I've added this extra +20 hit but this creature still isn't dying any quicker than it was before. I'll try something else".

If they literally don't have to anything else other than play WoW, and they are fairly intelligent, they will work it out by themselves by using each others strengths.
    Not to NEARLY the same extent, there's simply no way they'll be able to maximise what they do without those tools, they don't even have a dps meter for comparison!

Also, good luck to the guy calling out when the seeds land in heroic without any timer mods, I fear for your heart.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

i miss options they will become insane D imagine 1 year with same ppl all day long there is always someone who you hate so much that even 2 hours in a week in same raid is too much
    When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all ... Futurama-Godfellas

10+ Year Old Account
    With a 3 million euro incentive they definitely would. They would be able to devote all their time to WoW and have a 100% stable group with instant voice communication. The dungeon journal explains the fights nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by LemonSocks View Post

Path of least resistance. Applies to human psychology just as much as it does to the movements of electrons.

Being "fairly intelligent", as if that were a meaningful description of anything, is not a guarantee that you will be able to figure out this specific thing.

even a really bad player could level up to level 85 in a month. So say 11 months of doing nothing else all day but learning your class and trial and error? yea that 3 million would be in the bag.