Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Like so many said before, once you play the game it makes a lot more sense.

The story helps differentiate the ACs.
    I like sandwiches

ACs are the same as jobs in Ragnarok. You start off as the noob class, then advance to the mid level class (let's say, mage), then to the high level class (high wizard). SWTOR works the same way, except that you have options once you reach level 10.
    Zhenji 90 Mistweaver
    Eonar US

Deleted
    Don't want to create a new thread so i just aski here: Every Advanced Class shares 1 Talent Tree. Why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
    No they're not. Each AC has 3 talent trees just like WoW's classes.
    ^ This

ACs are not specs and its getting quite old that people havn't gotten the destinction yet.

ACs are the same in terms of mechanics as WoW classes only instead of choosing them at level 1 you choose them at level 10.

For example:
    A sith assasin has 2 dps trees and a tanking tree just like a Deathknight
    A sith assassin can be a tank or dps just like a deathknight.
    A sith assasin can respec from a tank to a dps just like a deathnight.
    A sith assasin cannot reroll as a Sith Inquisitor just like a Deathknight cannot reroll as a Shaman.

---------- Post added 2011-11-20 at 10:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Alver View Post
    Don't want to create a new thread so i just aski here: Every Advanced Class shares 1 Talent Tree. Why is that?
    Admittedly that does seem like kinda a lazy move to me but it dpsn't mean the shared tree will be utilized the same way by both classes. The way I see it it will kinda be like how a druids feral tree could be used for both tanking and a rogue cat dps.

With classes like the Sorcerer and Assassin a player using those trees will have to be very careful where they allocate their points. An assassin has stealth and is mostly melee range force attacks whereas a sorcerer has longer range attacks and should put points into those talents. Basically some talents in that tree will be much better suited for a sorcerer while others will be better for assasin and the final builds could go up the trees very different ways.
    Biowares Go-to Plan:
    - Offer something for free
    - Change mind and charge for it
    - ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOUR WORK HAS BUGS
    - Never fix bugs and give crappy CS.

I can't state with any authority for the other classes but for the BH it looks like the shared tree is more PvP related than anything. Some "when stunned/incapacitated" type talents or remove incapacitation type talents. Talents that also reduce the cooldown of X ability that removes incapacitation, increase stealth detection and so forth.

At character creation you pick your class story.

At level 10 you pick your class.

/thread

Quote Originally Posted by Eggoman View Post
    I can't state with any authority for the other classes but for the BH it looks like the shared tree is more PvP related than anything. Some "when stunned/incapacitated" type talents or remove incapacitation type talents. Talents that also reduce the cooldown of X ability that removes incapacitation, increase stealth detection and so forth.
    The shared talent trees are something special. They do tend to have pvp utility but I've noticed while playing that the shared spec played by two different ACs gets played two entirely different ways.

For instance, the Consular shared tree is Balance. This is supposed to be a hybrid melee/force tree, but here's the kicker. Willpower only increases melee damage as a Shadow therefore that shared tree has an inherent major difference--Sages will utilize the Force powers more and Shadows will utalize melee more but it lets both ACs get a taste of what they're missing. A Consular Sage specc'd Balance will likely be played as a sort of Battle Mage. High powered nukes from medium to short range with just enough damage and utility at melee to either finish someone off or break away for another round. A Consular Shadow specc'd Balance seems like it would play like an Enhancement Shaman with the ability to open up hard outside of melee range and get the upper hand before your opponent can even hit you.

A Smuggler's Shared Tree focuses on DoTs and Snares and again, would pay differently depending on AC. A Gunslinger specc'd Dirty Fighting would be devastating to melee--snaring and bleeding them while dealing big crits from cover as they slowly make their way toward you. Once they reach you pop your AoE knockback, resnare, and run-n-gun back to a farther cover point. It would be like a ridiculously strong positional kiting pattern. The Scoundrel AC would take more advantage of it in the short range, snaring and dotting from afar before closing in for the really big melee hits and then jumping out again for some kiting before the hard-hitting close range CDs come back up. Keeping them slow and bleeding allows you to rush in, crit big, rush out without taking too much damage.

I understand the class/advanced class system pretty well, but I am curious: does each advanced class have a different storyline? Meaning, if I leveled, say, an Assassin first, then chose to level a Sorcerer, would it be the same experience since they were the same base class, or different?

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    I understand the class/advanced class system pretty well, but I am curious: does each advanced class have a different storyline? Meaning, if I leveled, say, an Assassin first, then chose to level a Sorcerer, would it be the same experience since they were the same base class, or different?
    Same story. You may occasionally get a half-line reference to your AC in the dialogue but they have the same story line.

Okay, that's what I figured. Thanks for the quick response.

Think of the Advanced Classes as how the class system in Aion works. You play a class until you reach a certain level, at which point that class gets split into 2 smaller classes that share everything, but one is better than the other at certain things and vice versa.

They are functionally classes, not spec. Each AC has 2 trees + 1 shared tree-- and those are specs. So a Bounty Hunter can say, spec Mercenary. But has the choice in a DPS Merc, Support Merc or hybrid of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by galaxiah View Post
    for your comparison to wow, they're more like specs.
    The advance class system deals with specifics (i.e. healing, tank, damage specialties)

BUT with recent interviews it looks as though these choices are permanent so it is considered your class in SWTOR terms. I don't believe you can go "respec" your advance class.

correct me if I'm wrong
    Corrected due to wrongness.

They are classes, they do not focus on one aspect. Trooper vanguard has tank spec and completely viable dps spec, while commando has healing spec and different viable dps spec. Both share a tree that is basic class upgrades. Each AC of each base class has different playstyle, gear, utility.... They are classes not specs

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhamses View Post
    Just curious. Are the Advanced Classes in this game classes like Knight, Paladin, Mage, or specs like Fire Mage, Demonology Warlock, etc?
    Think of it as instead of 8 classes (4 for each side) there are 16 classes (8 for each side). Each AC for each class has completely different talent trees, they are basically different classes, expect they use the same stats, can equip the same items, etc.

Think of it as this (since Jedi and Sith classes counter-parts are basically the same):
    Four main choices > 8 classes > 3 classes a spec (24 specs)

Might seem harder to balance then WoW's, but keep in mind WoW has to deal with 30 specs, it just doesn't have as much of a complicated system.

Quote Originally Posted by Argroth View Post
    A sith assasin cannot reroll as a Sith Sorcerer just like a Deathknight cannot reroll as a Shaman.[COLOR="red"]
    Fixed for you
    Inquisitor is the base class of Assassin and Sorcerer =)

For thoes that played EQ2 in its first year or so, they did something similiar in that game. you picked a generic class and then once you got to a certian level you picked a more advanced class. I quite enjoied this aspect of that game and i was sad to see them take it out.
    But you really need to think of it as very different classes, not just a spec you go into. The play style of each advanced class is different enough from that you can tell your playing a different type of class, not just speced into a different tree of the same class.
    A sith assassin will play much different from a sith sorccerer.

If you've ever played Ragnarok Online, it works the exact same way. You progress from your base class into a permanent advanced class. In this case each advanced class has three specs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Class=Story

AC=True Class (With specs)
    "I'll tell you something, my Tenchi, you know the carnival comes and goes. But if you wait for a while, it'll always come back to you, Tenchi."~Ryoko TENCHIxRYOKO FTW!

"The crystal is the heart of the blade. The heart is the crystal of the Jedi. The Jedi is the crystal of the Force.
    The Force is the blade of the heart. All are intertwined. The crystal, the blade, the Jedi. You are one.