Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    In your fish aquarium eating your fish flakes. NOM NOM

Too many cutscenes

Now that the NDA is lifted i can talk about swtor as well.

There are wayyyyyyyyyyy too many cutscenes (average of one every 2 minutes literally) and they encompass every aspect of the game. Some are interesting but im getting cutscenes for completing objectives and that is completely unnecessary. Travel time is also a major issue. After i completed the newbie area it took me 7ish minutes to walk through the station so i could get to courissant. Walking to and from quest givers also ate up a large amount of time as the newbie area is quite large.

The leveling curve is very very slow, it took me about 8 hours of play for 9 levels. At least 45 minutes of that 9 hours was cutscenes that you have to participate in because they require you to look at the options and choose.

This is not going to be the spiritual successor of wow like most people think it will be. If you took away the cutscenes its wow in space like everyone has been saying. The combat feels exactly like wow, mash 1 2 3 and and you kill the mob. Maybe combat gets better after 10 but i took a look over the abilities at the trainer and there wasnt anything more interesting than a couple of stuns.

If you enjoy story more than combat and mechanics you might have a better experience than i did, if you dont though i would look elsewhere as lvling time is extemely inflated because of these cutscenes.

This is my 2 cents for people like myself that have never played a bioware game, and only play mmos. Take it as you will.
    Last edited by Fishyface; 2011-11-19 at 08:27 PM.
    Torchlight II Vanilla Player
    Looking for a vanilla only group?

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=40739

10+ Year Old Account
    different strokes for different folks. I happen to disagree.
    "Laws should be made of iron, not of pudding."

“A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

- King Stannis Baratheon

10+ Year Old Account
    You know you can space bar through most of the cut scenes right?

I agree they need to put a few more flight paths, it felt like I spent far to much time running. As for lvling, I actually enjoyed the pace. Take as much or as little time as you want with it no rush.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Willeonge View Post
    different strokes for different folks. I happen to disagree.
    I happen to agree with this guy. Also, I agree with your sig :-)

TOR isn't for the normal, hardcore MMO player. It's for the RPG fans. Thankfully, this will keep a LOT of the riff-raff out of TOR. I'm not saying we're going to enjoy seeing all these cutscenes on our 3rd, 4th, 5th character, but they're great for now. Besides, you can skip all of them anyway, what's the problem? You have to press one extra key every 2 minutes, end of the world.

I don't know when the last time you played through the starting area was, but the travel & convenience this past beta weekend seemed significantly better than the beta weekend the weekend before that. It IS kind of slow to get around at first, but that's okay to me. I got to about level 10 and was like, "Wow that went fast." And then I looked at the clock and realized I had been sitting here for 6 hours. To ME, it's a breath of fresh air to be so immersed in the game that I don't notice the time going by.

If you don't like the dialogue, there's an option in the interface options to disable them. You can spacebar through the dialogue as a manual thing for each one. Bioware has made it very possible to play how you like. You just aren't spoonfed as much as some are accustomed to.

Edit: Being able to essentially "hearth" to any bind point you unlocked on the planet was AMAZING.

Mash space bar, problem solved.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cellery View Post
    I don't know when the last time you played through the starting area was, but the travel & convenience this past beta weekend seemed significantly better than the beta weekend the weekend before that. It IS kind of slow to get around at first, but that's okay to me. I got to about level 10 and was like, "Wow that went fast." And then I looked at the clock and realized I had been sitting here for 6 hours. To ME, it's a breath of fresh air to be so immersed in the game that I don't notice the time going by.

If you don't like the dialogue, there's an option in the interface options to disable them. You can spacebar through the dialogue as a manual thing for each one. Bioware has made it very possible to play how you like. You just aren't spoonfed as much as some are accustomed to.
    I played this last weekend, travel is still done at snails pace. And i hate to say but if you want a successful mmo you cant just omit the current conveniences and expect your mmo to do well. Bioware needs to look at what other mmos are doing and apply some of their concepts that make it easier on the player, not harder.

One thing i think they should implement next for example is a random group finder.
    Last edited by Fishyface; 2011-11-19 at 08:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishyface View Post
    Bioware needs to look at what other mmos are doing and apply some of their concepts that make it easier on the player, not harder.
    One thing Id like them to add is some REAL ID equivelant. I have friends who play across different servers, would be nice to see whos around who isnt. I know its not cross server but its nice to stay in touch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cellery View Post

Edit: Being able to essentially "hearth" to any bind point you unlocked on the planet was AMAZING.
    I agree with this. I has the same feeling when I hit 10 or so. I felt so emmeresed.

I happen to agree with this guy. Also, I agree with your sig :-)
    , Loreena ftw!
    "Laws should be made of iron, not of pudding."

“A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

- King Stannis Baratheon

If you like the instant gratification that WoW has to offer, then you are in luck, because WoW is still going to be around! SWTOR probably isn't for you, as the things you complain again are the immersion features that many people are embracing, even the 7 minute walks.

15+ Year Old Account
    Nothing wrong with it, bringing back the rpg in mmorpg.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karteli View Post
    If you like the instant gratification that WoW has to offer, then you are in luck, because WoW is still going to be around! SWTOR probably isn't for you, as the things you complain again are the immersion features that many people are embracing, even the 7 minute walks.
    Figured this out last weekend, this information is intended to help people make their own decision. I assure you i wont be playing it at launch.

Only reason i was in the beta was i signed up two years ago and forgot about it till i got that invite.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishyface View Post
    I played this last weekend, travel is still done at snails pace. And i hate to say but if you want a successful mmo you cant just omit the current conveniences and expect your mmo to do well. Bioware needs to look at what other mmos are doing and apply some of their concepts that make it easier on the player, not harder.

One thing i think they should implement next for example is a random group finder.
    I wholeheartedly disagree. I like the feelings of nostalgia that swtor is bringing back for me. Back when doing stuff in game felt like an accomplishment. I feel like the random group finder is the spawn of satan and I don't mind working for an extra 20 seconds in order to reap the benefits of this awesome new environment. Plus, the slow travel rewards those of us who try very hard to be efficient in our questing & travel paths

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karteli View Post
    Dismissing it out of hand like that isn't the correct answer either though. I loved my experience over the weekend but its important to remain critical so that they don't fall back on their laurels and forget about changing anything. I happen to agree with the op that 7 minute walks don't do much from an immersion stand point. Action is far more immersive than simple passive running.

I like the idea of it being slow to level i want to make my time, i want the whole rpg aspect of this game....im sure further down the line BW will eventually speed up the process but for now im looking forward to the slower speed

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RatFanatic View Post
    I think most people would respond to this by asking, "What's the problem?"
    If your familiar with ffxi yes i could see that. Back when it took an entire weekend to get from 1-12. This isnt 2003 though, alots changed. And peoples perception of lvling in a mmo have changed as well. Ask a wow player if they would find getting 9 levels in 8 hours acceptable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Strangely (or not), I like everything you didn't like, especially the changes from WoW's way. And cutscenes are only happening in talky-time quest receive/turn-ins. It doesn't even come close to every 2 minutes, especially once you get into the 20s and upward to 50.
    Last edited by Trollsbane; 2011-11-19 at 08:45 PM.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

Also, judging playstyle & abilities at level 10 is kind of like watching the opening credits of a tv show and basing your opinion off of that alone. You might have a vague idea, but it's not the whole story in the least bit. For example, my character at level 10 played completely differently from level 15 and by the time I got to level 25 I was really getting into the meat of it and having some interesting interactions between spells.

I am a healer and it feels TO ME like on top of the expected "pick the appropriate skill for the appropriate target to keep everybody alive," there's an added dimension of "pick the appropriate skill to heal the appropriate target NOW and to set you up for an appropriate skill NEXT." It's not rocket surgery, but it's pretty damn fun.

Anyone who wants this to be an apples to apples with WOW is fooling themselves. This is a very classic BioWare questing experience. They are going to tell stories that involve your character. Not just give you 200 quests for an area and tell you go to complete and come back.

As far as time spent...yeah it is going to be slow. They estimate around 200 hours of content to get to level 50. So if you are wanting a quick leveling experience like the joke it is in WOW, this is not your game at all. I agree there is a good deal of foot travel which can be annoying, but I personally don't really mind it.

At the end of the day you can't compare the leveling system in SWTOR to the one in WOW. They are completely different. SWTOR is actually setup as a MMORPG, WOW is gives you the option to just completely ignore the RPG part of the game completely.

As said above you can just spam spacebar to get through the cut scenes. The only things you have to watch for when picking a reply are, light/dark side responses and 'i dont want to do this quest' answers. (not accepting quest option is for side quests as far as i remember) Using this method i was able to get to lvl 23 over the testing weekend. Although i wish i would have tried spaceship battles