Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    So I just hit level 85 on an alt in wow. I went to get the ilvl 365 cloak from the firelands quests. Not only was there a lot of cutscenes, but I couldn't skip them (I could cancel them), couldn't talk in chat during them, and I couldn't make any choices. Not to mention as a healer I didn't have a companion to help me kill things so it took forever.

I get what you are saying, for people that don't care at all about story (who really does, not just the ones that claim it after being used to wow), this probably will not take them away from wow. But I think you were a little unfair about the combat abilities comment. There are a lot of abilities, and my jedi shadow's rotation was more involved than my rogue's (at max level in both cases).

SPACEBAAAAR!!!!! And if you dont like story.. well, continue to play WoW.. When I sat here, in this exact chair one week ago in beta. I had a huge smile on my face during the conversations. The options were truly funny. I laughed, and had to tell my friends some of the experiences (OOOOH NDA BREAKING, well, kinda, nothing too big) It was truly fun. I cant really say I've experienced this in any other mmo's. The urge to tell friends about the things I said to a npc ingame..

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to playing this Live. I follow the Beta forum, reddit, original forum, mmo champ forum. Youtube, streams, everything. Without spoiling too much story ofc.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkzn View Post
    The options were truly funny. I laughed, and had to tell my friends some of the experiences (OOOOH NDA BREAKING, well, kinda, nothing too big) It was truly fun.
    I was more about cackling with glee when I kill off innocents >>

Quote Originally Posted by Fishyface View Post
    There are wayyyyyyyyyyy too many cutscenes (average of one every 2 minutes literally) and they encompass every aspect of the game. Some are interesting but im getting cutscenes for completing objectives and that is completely unnecessary. Travel time is also a major issue. After i completed the newbie area it took me 7ish minutes to walk through the station so i could get to courissant. Walking to and from quest givers also ate up a large amount of time as the newbie area is quite large.
    As said before, spacebar past cut-scenes you don't want to watch. I enjoy them because they tell an actual story, which is what has always been a drawing point in every single Bioware game. As for travel time... you leved up to 9. You didn't have your mount, you didn't experience space travel, as there are always your binds that you can set at any quest hub. Its an MMO, there is supposed to be travel time.

The leveling curve is very very slow, it took me about 8 hours of play for 9 levels. At least 45 minutes of that 9 hours was cutscenes that you have to participate in because they require you to look at the options and choose.
    Was it 8 hours or 9 hours? Either way, the cut-scenes take no longer than reading quest text and its more interactive, and you can skip them.

This is not going to be the spiritual successor of wow like most people think it will be. If you took away the cutscenes its wow in space like everyone has been saying. The combat feels exactly like wow, mash 1 2 3 and and you kill the mob. Maybe combat gets better after 10 but i took a look over the abilities at the trainer and there wasnt anything more interesting than a couple of stuns.
    Compare combat at level 10 in SWTOR to combat before level 10 in WoW. Oh wait, there is no comparison because you have no abilities to speak of in Warcraft until you get high level. By level 10 as an IA, there were more abilities than I could fit on 3 bars (nocover, cover, and buffs bars).

If you enjoy story more than combat and mechanics you might have a better experience than i did, if you dont though i would look elsewhere as lvling time is extemely inflated because of these cutscenes.
    You think 'extremely inflated' is 45 minutes of a 9 hour experience, which you could have skipped if you read the controls page or didn't skip over the tutorial text...

Give it a chance before you get all angry about it. You were level 9, which means you barely left the starting area... didn't take your level 10 advanced class, and didn't do any PvP or Dungeon/Flashpoints.

I don't disagree with the enjoyment of the cut-scenes, hell i like them a lot too. But will i like them on my 2nd character? 3rd? 4th? I highly doubt it... That's one of the main things that worries me about this game to be honest. :/ I'm totally guessing here but i'd say at least 30-40% of my playtime over the weekend was cut-scenes, and when i was watching them without hitting spacebar it was more like 50-60%.

10+ Year Old Account
    In your fish aquarium eating your fish flakes. NOM NOM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkzn View Post
    SPACEBAAAAR!!!!! And if you dont like story.. well, continue to play WoW.. When I sat here, in this exact chair one week ago in beta. I had a huge smile on my face during the conversations. The options were truly funny. I laughed, and had to tell my friends some of the experiences (OOOOH NDA BREAKING, well, kinda, nothing too big) It was truly fun. I cant really say I've experienced this in any other mmo's. The urge to tell friends about the things I said to a npc ingame..

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to playing this Live. I follow the Beta forum, reddit, original forum, mmo champ forum. Youtube, streams, everything. Without spoiling too much story ofc.
    The story is interesting, but the way they deliver the story is annoying. If they added an option for quest text i could read it when i want to. Im forced at this point if i want to know the story to use the cutscenes. Im not bashing the story, story is what mmos are about. What i dont like is how they give it to us.
    Torchlight II Vanilla Player
    Looking for a vanilla only group?

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=40739

One thing i think they should implement next for example is a random group finder.
    So you want to bring the one feature that killed the community in wow, no thanks. I will make friends with players on my server for a better ingame experience instead of someone you will never grp with again.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you enjoy story more than combat and mechanics you might have a better experience than i did, if you dont though i would look elsewhere as lvling time is extemely inflated because of these cutscenes.
    Agreed. Cutscene conversations took way too much time. But if you know of an MMO without the time requirement of running from place to place (at least at low levels) please let me know what it is. As for the cutscenes, Captions, Esc and Space are critical to enjoying them. Turn on all captions and space to skip through the convo once you've read it, then Esc out of the convo to start again if your character's response wasn't what you intended.

10+ Year Old Account
    The story is interesting, but the way they deliver the story is annoying. If they added an option for quest text i could read it when i want to. Im forced at this point if i want to know the story to use the cutscenes. Im not bashing the story, story is what mmos are about. What i dont like is how they give it to us.
    Actually No it isn't. In fact engaging and engrossing story has been missing from mmos for a long time now.

What you want is a WOW clone. There are many free MMOs if you are wanting to get away from WOW, but that doesn't mean that SWTOR should drop unique features to make itself more like WOW. Like the group finder you mentioned earlier. That was the worst feature ever added to WOW. It made it fast and easy to get groups and left no accountability to people's behavior. You got kick happy people that would start complaining about kick timers. You had newbies that couldn't stay in a group because they got kicked.

I'm not saying your opinion is wrong, no opinion is. However you are wanting WOW. Play WOW and don't bother with SWTOR. It is that simple. Both games will survive perfectly fine on their own as they each will meet a niche. It is better if everyone out there wasn't a clone too. We need more innovation and variations in game play. If all MMOs were just clones of each other, than this whole thing would be very boring.

I'm kind of torn on the suggested spacebar usage.

My wife has a hard time adjusting, she has six 85's in WoW and she's very used to grabbing every quest and steamrolling threw them as fast as possible. Getting her to take it slow, listen to the story and play the game the opposite of what WoW has trained her to do is somewhat challenging.

Honestly, I will suggest to anyone I know, that if they consistently want to skip the story, that they should stick with WoW because the gameplay in and of itself is not that entirely different. I mean, it's a little different and it's Star Wars, but if you want are playing it because it's Star Wars, why would you even consider skipping the story.

On the 7 minute walk thing, I don't remember ever walking far without having a mob to engage along the way, which often times gave me a collection quest that had me killing more stuff along the way to my objective.

What makes this game different is the VO and story, if you're going to skip all of it, you're going to end up not liking the game... No point in even picking it up.

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    Hmm let me see... Engaging story with cut scenes that make questing not only bearable but damn fun.. Check

No ZOMG im max lvl in 5 days.. huh I dont remember a single quest I did questing experience ... Check

Yep everything looks fantastic here!

Seriously though its not as much as you make it out to be but even if it was I wouldnt mind one bit, its a breath of fresh air and sadly once we hit max lvl there will be plenty of time to do 5 mans / raid and pvp absent of all that wonderful story. Dont get me wrong I love end game but in ALL other games the game sucked ASS till end game THEN got fun. Now my MMO can be enjoyable from lvl 1 to lvl 50... huh go figure.
    Last edited by Vexies; 2011-11-19 at 09:13 PM.

Let me be the person who is exactly like the ones responding in every post with any complaint about WoW, large or small:

Don't like it? Don't play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Komie View Post
    They still say Cata needs a lot of work, and this expansion (edit for reference: MoP) is in the final stages.
    Quoted for... truth? on 11/30/2011.

Now that the NDA is lifted i can talk about swtor as well.

There are wayyyyyyyyyyy too many cutscenes (average of one every 2 minutes literally) and they encompass every aspect of the game. Some are interesting but im getting cutscenes for completing objectives and that is completely unnecessary. Travel time is also a major issue. After i completed the newbie area it took me 7ish minutes to walk through the station so i could get to courissant. Walking to and from quest givers also ate up a large amount of time as the newbie area is quite large.

The leveling curve is very very slow, it took me about 8 hours of play for 9 levels. At least 45 minutes of that 9 hours was cutscenes that you have to participate in because they require you to look at the options and choose.

This is not going to be the spiritual successor of wow like most people think it will be. If you took away the cutscenes its wow in space like everyone has been saying. The combat feels exactly like wow, mash 1 2 3 and and you kill the mob. Maybe combat gets better after 10 but i took a look over the abilities at the trainer and there wasnt anything more interesting than a couple of stuns.

This is my 2 cents for people like myself that have never played a bioware game, and only play mmos. Take it as you will.
    "I can't get to level 85 in three days like you can in WoW waaaahhhh!" Is all I heard. The reason leveling time is "inflated" as you said, is correct, because of the cutscenes, the story, the major selling point of the game, that was announced when the game was announced back in 08. There was nothing misleading about that fact, at all, for this game. If you were expecting a quick level through like WoW then that's your problem.

I am looking forward to slowly growing from a young padawan (or smuggler, etc) to become the hero of the galaxy that each character will become... unlike WoW where you kill a bunch of boars, collect some worg tails, and suddenly, for some reason, you are an immense hero with no story.

Haven't gotten into the beta yet so i can't really say anything about the travel time, but what I do know is that I'm really excited about the cutscenes
    and all the different choices there is to make to shape my character. I'm not going to rush to lvl 50 on any character I make and neither will
    any of my friends, this game is gonna be so awesome!
    Asrock Extreme 6 Rev B3 | Core i5-2500k@4.6ghz | 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance | Corsair HX1050W | Intel SSD 510 120gb | 5TB storage space | Gigabyte GTX 580 SLI

One thing i think they should implement next for example is a random group finder.
    NO THANKS.

Seriously I'm all for the convenience WoW gives through the dungeon finder... And of course there is downsides to both having a dungeon finder and not having one... But I really think SWTOR will do well without it. When I sit down to play my games I don't tend to start unless I know i've got 2+hrs to chillout ... So with 2hrs behind me at all times, the inconvenience of having to form a group in the city and then fly over to the Flashpoint. That's not much of a loss to keep the community as it should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess I've just been playing MMOs for too long, but I don't mind having a walk a bit to get somewhere, I also like taking hours to level. Then again, WOW wasn't my first MMO so I'm used to stuff like that.

(I almost miss it)
    “The Jedi…the Sith…you don’t get it, do you? To the galaxy, they’re the same thing; just men and women with too much power, squabbling over religion, while the rest of us burn.”-Atton Rand

If your familiar with ffxi yes i could see that. Back when it took an entire weekend to get from 1-12. This isnt 2003 though, alots changed. And peoples perception of lvling in a mmo have changed as well. Ask a wow player if they would find getting 9 levels in 8 hours acceptable
    I've been playing WoW for 8 years.. When I first started, I could hit level 20 on certain classes in a long day. 8 or 9 hours. I remember, because of the awesomeness that was vanilla bellygrub. I can push 40+ in the same amount of time now. They have nerfed leveling. Made it so easy that it takes the fun out of it.

Blizzard and World of Warcraft have a specific philosophy. End game is all that matters to them. They don't update old zones. Don't touch up old stories. Don't even follow their own story lines. To them, it's all about the instances and the raids. If you are not a max level, you are a second class gamer. Because this is their philosophy, Blizzard speeds leveling up to insane speeds, and thats not the norm.

You may be privileged in current WoW, and I respect Blizzard for sticking with their vision, I don't want that.

The day I solo'd bellygrub as a mage 4 levels lower than him is the day I realized just what Blizzard has done to their game. I don't have to worry about wandering elites. I don't have to be slick.

One of the most enjoyable times I had in World of Warcraft was running from Darnassus to Westfall on my very first character at level 10. It took hours. No mount, I wasn't aware of the tram. I wasn't aware of a lot of things. I died a lot. I ended up swimming around mountains and dying of fatigue.. It was the first time I had dealt with it.. I released as a ghost and ran to Westfall in ghost form and talked to the spirit healer. She rezzed me back in Wetlands. It was epic. It was fun. It took hours. I didn't gain a single level. I didn't earn gold. I essentially wasted my time..

But it was new. It was fun. I had to worry about elites, pathing.. Cata lacks that.
    Ferlion <level 85 Druid - Proudmoore>
    Formerly known as the Warlock Shadowsouled - Windrunner

Proud poster of the Story Forums. I got your faction wank right here.

OP was clearly too busy watching Spongebob to have played KoToR