Thread: The Magic 5GHz.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Indeed CPU-Z is hopeless at picking up vcore :P
    Speedfan and Everest have real-time voltage monitoring graphs. OCCT is another torture-testing tool that uses the same methods as Intel Burn and also offers voltage monitoring.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    idk that 5ghz is all that magical, i was never able to see a reasonable improvement by going from 4.5 to 5

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Ouch, with PLL enabled at those voltages you could see micro-spikes of 1.5v+, just something to keep in mind. 86c is pretty damn hot (though not critical), personally I steer clear of any OC that pushes temps beyond 75c during blend testing. Intel Burn could probably push your chip to 90c+.
    Settle for your 4.8ghz OC brah 5ghz is overrated.
    Not PLL, LLC. You're thinking LLC.

OP: Are you using any LLC? If so, you're pretty close (if not over) dangerous microspikes when going load->idle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh poop, LLC it is indeed.
    Although now that I look at it, it's not giving me the option to turn LLC off completely - either have it at auto, regular, high, ultra high, extreme, etc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    Not PLL, LLC. You're thinking LLC.

OP: Are you using any LLC? If so, you're pretty close (if not over) dangerous microspikes when going load->idle.

"**A note about Load Line Calibration - Since writing the original i7 guide, it has come to light that in some circumstances, the enabling of Load Line Calibration may lead to small voltage spikes, especially at higher Vcore, the other thing is that arguably, you may use slightly more overall power under load than with it disabled. Given that most of us will not be running at 100% load 100% of the time, and the fact that none of us have seen any damage from using this setting, and that it can be quite useful, I have decided to leave the setting as enabled. That said, if you prefer, you can disable it, but keep in mind that you will need to apply more Vcore than you previously did to get stable. Swings and roundabouts!"

Taken from here:
    http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overc...tml#post110576

Deleted
    ive been up to 4.7 Ghz with my i5 but then its unstable as hell lol

so i tryed having it 4.5 Ghz less stable, but 4.2 Gz its stable =)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by laggspike View Post
    ive been up to 4.7 Ghz with my i5 but then its unstable as hell lol

so i tryed having it 4.5 Ghz less stable, but 4.2 Gz its stable =)
    It is possible to go stable with an i5 at 4.7GHz though, I know people who managed it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangel7 View Post
    It is possible to go stable with an i5 at 4.7GHz though, I know people who managed it.
    in the other end, i dont think i got the cooling to it

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by laggspike View Post
    in the other end, i dont think i got the cooling to it
    Thats different

10+ Year Old Account
    i5's OC capabilities are just as potent as i7's if not better due to the lack of complications regarding HT :P
    It's basically the most brutally overpowered gaming-oriented chip ever made, god I love Intel so much <3

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangel7 View Post
    "**A note about Load Line Calibration - Since writing the original i7 guide, it has come to light that in some circumstances, the enabling of Load Line Calibration may lead to small voltage spikes, especially at higher Vcore, the other thing is that arguably, you may use slightly more overall power under load than with it disabled. Given that most of us will not be running at 100% load 100% of the time, and the fact that none of us have seen any damage from using this setting, and that it can be quite useful, I have decided to leave the setting as enabled. That said, if you prefer, you can disable it, but keep in mind that you will need to apply more Vcore than you previously did to get stable. Swings and roundabouts!"

Taken from here:
    http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overc...tml#post110576
    I fail to see the relevancy to my post. I asked if he was using LLC because LLC at higher vCore raings (like the OP's 1.445v) will result in microspikes over Intel's listed max VID of 1.52v. Whether you use LLC or not is a personal choice. Using it at a vCore higher than 1.4v is when it becomes potentially dangerous.

Also, that quote makes it seem as if the poster doesn't really understand LLC. "[...]keep in mind that you will need to apply more Vcore than you previously did to get stable". Umm, yeah. Vdroop will do that. However, you're applying more vCore at a lower amperage (when the CPU is idle), which is less strain on the CPU than higher vCore at a higher amperage (when the CPU is at load). Once you calculate in Vdroop, you end up using the same voltage at load with or without LLC (at least if you want the same level of stability). You just don't suffer the microspikes that LLC causes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is there any way to monitor these micro-spikes btw? So far Speedfan has failed to notice any microspikes despite me using any LLC setting, it's happily bouncing between 0.01v of my set vcore. So e.g. I do a 4.6/1.34v test, at idle it usually bounces between 1.342 and 1.35 and under stress it can drop as low as 1.335 - but there are no micro-spikes between when I click the "start" button on P95 Blend and when I click stop. Start > stop > start > stop, no spikes : /
    Maybe LLC is so fast and accurate that it compensates instantly? Or maybe Speedfan (or any software really) is incapable of noticing micro-spikes and just assumes they were nothing at all :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Is there any way to monitor these micro-spikes btw? So far Speedfan has failed to notice any microspikes despite me using any LLC setting, it's happily bouncing between 0.01v of my set vcore. So e.g. I do a 4.6/1.34v test, at idle it usually bounces between 1.342 and 1.35 and under stress it can drop as low as 1.335 - but there are no micro-spikes between when I click the "start" button on P95 Blend and when I click stop. Start > stop > start > stop, no spikes : /
    Maybe LLC is so fast and accurate that it compensates instantly? Or maybe Speedfan (or any software really) is incapable of noticing micro-spikes and just assumes they were nothing at all :P
    They're called "micro"spikes for a reason. They exist for microseconds. They're definitely too fast for software to pick up on and too fast to insta-kill a CPU, but it will degrade/kill a CPU over time if allowed to occur repeatedly. How fast that degredation/death occurs depends on how high the microspikes go and the fortitude of your individual chip.

If you want to know how high you're spiking, just drop LLC and see what your vCore droops to under load. Take that difference and add it to your vCore value at load when LLC is enabled. The final value should be lower than 1.52v to be considered "safe". For instance:

1.35v setting in BIOS
    1.348v under load with LLC
    1.288v under load without LLC
    1.348 - 1.288 = 0.06v droop
    1.348 + 0.06 = 1.408v microspikes

(Numbers pulled from the nether)
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2011-11-20 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xXNyteStalkerXx View Post
    Ive seen your setup work with 5.0 but in all fairness whats the point you wont notice a huge difference and/or spends tons of money for something too possibly stop working.So too your question you can go 5.0 with your setup i just recommend not doing that.(Just make sure too watch your temps carefully and check your work with more then one program just in-case you get different readings.)
    Every chip is unique. The setup you saw probably wouldn't go 5.0 with his chip.