Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    There are dark paladins in the WoW lore, garithros says hi. and undead priests do use the holy light, it cauterizes them and is painful for them, but they use it through sheer willpower and discipline. They created a warped religion based on the holy light for undead priests, they could do the same with paladins. Blood knights obtained their powers through sucking the life from a captured naaru to manipulate its powers for sin'dorei dominance. Please tell me how that sounds ANYTHING like a paladin. Blood knights sound more farfetched to me than a dark undead "paladin".

---------- Post added 2011-11-20 at 06:51 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Undead paladins would require the light to bestow its power on Evil Undead, which isn't going to happen.

inb4 "undead holy preists" they are only holy by gameplay mechanic, lorewise they are shadowpriests.

sigh too late.. people that don't understand difference between lore and gameplay mechanics irritate me.
    Blizzard stated that they do use the holy light lorewise in a blue post, I'll have to find it.

"Can you please explain how "light" works? The lore states that undead are physically incapable of using the light, much like the Broken, but then we have Forsaken players casting healing spells, and Sir Zeliek in Naxxramas using pseudo-paladin abilities. A: Without spoiling too much, we can tell you that wielding the Light is a matter of having willpower or faith in one's own ability to do it. That's why there are evil paladins (for example, the Scarlet Crusade and Arthas before he took up Frostmourne). For the undead (and Forsaken), this requires such a great deal of willpower that it is exceedingly rare, especially since it is self-destructive. When undead channel the Light, it feels (to them) as if their entire bodies are being consumed in righteous fire. Forsaken healed by the Light (whether the healer is Forsaken or not) are effectively cauterized by the effect: sure, the wound is healed, but the healing effect is cripplingly painful. Thus, Forsaken priests are beings of unwavering willpower; Forsaken (and death knight) tanks suffer nobly when they have priest and paladin healers in the group; and Sir Zeliek REALLY hates himself."

---------- Post added 2011-11-20 at 07:08 AM ----------

[QUOTE=krethos;14288994]Well there is, but I couldn't be bothered trying to explain something to people I can tell don't have the logical thought-process to understand anyway.

Good day sir. Yes they're technically different in the source of them being resurrected. Being resurrected by a dreadlord = being resurrected via evil energy. Being resurrected by the scourge = being resurrected via evil energy. It's like being stabbed with a dagger and a knife, the tools are technically different but the outcome is the same, bleeding and dying. Both demons and undead alike suffer from the holy light, so they both have the same weakness.
    Last edited by Loaf Lord; 2011-11-20 at 06:55 AM.

I've always thought a line like

"Our devotion to the light will not fade, even in death."

bam, Undead Paladins make sense.

I support your cause. Animations and race looks are very important to me when I choose, I would love undead paladins. As of right now there really only is one option for horde, it's belf female for me. Tauren palas look ridiculous and blood elf males look so incredibly bad that they make the demons of hell cry in terror.

Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    Yes they're technically different in the source of them being resurrected. Being resurrected by a dreadlord = being resurrected via evil energy. Being resurrected by the scourge = being resurrected via evil energy. It's like being stabbed with a dagger and a knife, the tools are technically different but the outcome is the same, bleeding and dying. Both demons and undead alike suffer from the holy light, so they both have the same weakness.
    Also a good deal of the Forsaken were resurrected by Mal'ganis and the other Nathrezim in Lorderon in the first place!

Quote Originally Posted by Margallo View Post
    Death Knights are undead and Paladin are more like light worshipers so it wouldn't work out.
    So a dead undead knight makes sense. Wouldn't that make him just a knight?

it is very very very simple actually.
    the vast majority of the Forsaken have willingly turned from the Light. Understandable considering their condition. A lot feel the Light abandoned them and allowed their resurrection into undeath, something the Light is specifically supposed to guard against.
    As unholy creatures by their very nature, the undead find it both very difficult and very painful to utilize the Light. Take human cauterization as an example, it works, but it sucks so hard that most people just don't do it if there is another way. Lore-wise the greater bulk of priest within the Forsaken belong to the Cult of Forgotten Shadow and are thus considered Shadow Priests. They are allowed to be Disc and Holy priests in-game because... well you go make a game and tell the Forsaken players they are ONLY allowed to be shadow priests.
    There are going to be a few Forsaken Paladins, and Holy Priests. This is almost guaranteed even if we hadn't ever seen any, and we have.
    The problem is that there isn't nearly enough to justify a playable option.
    “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    They're greedy soulless monsters for not handing me everything for my 15 moneys a month!

The only reason that an Undead Priest can be Holy and Discipline is because of gameplay, if they use the power of the light in lore they get zapped. So an Undead Paladin wouldn't make sense at all.

Deleted
    isnt it like the 9000 time we have this discussion? doesnt it gets boring??

we can't have all races have all classes... then would be boring so lets leave those that make little to no sense out...

Deleted
    as stupid as tauren rogue really

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe the Forsaken have rejected the Light after they were killed and later resurrected by the Lich King or Sylvana's Valkyr. So they don't care any more about it since it "abandoned" them. So thats why they are forsaken. Although there is one forsaken who is a Paladin he has been redeemed.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLordDariusCrowley View Post
    The only reason that an Undead Priest can be Holy and Discipline is because of gameplay, if they use the power of the light in lore they get zapped. So an Undead Paladin wouldn't make sense at all.
    BC blood elf paladins were using demonic energy and stolen naaru juices and still could wield the Light just fine despite its effect on demons.

Quote Originally Posted by Mort459 View Post
    I sense incoming nerd-rage.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Well there is, but I couldn't be bothered trying to explain something to people I can tell don't have the logical thought-process to understand anyway.
    That train is never late!

Why not? Because blizzard hasn't gotten that desperate yet but you can bet when they allow undead paladins, they'll come up with a nice excuse for it.

Sir zeliek would like a word with this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    Sir zeliek would like a word with this thread.
    He's not the same as the other Horsemen though. He's free willed, but his body is being controlled like a puppet. He isn't technically Undead in that sense.

Here's why Undead can't really be Paladins though = Blizzard says so.

Undead warhorse mounts.............. are undead Chargers.............. I think the idea is that they were once Pallys, well some of them were.

Stood in the Fire masterdisaster's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The only real issue with undead Paladins is rarity. Yes they can be paladins, however lorewise it would be INCREDIBLY RARE which is why players aren't allowed to be them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by delus View Post
    Not really but in lore most undead priests are shadow.
    Replace most with all.

Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    He's not the same as the other Horsemen though. He's free willed, but his body is being controlled like a puppet. He isn't technically Undead in that sense.

Here's why Undead can't really be Paladins though = Blizzard says so.
    He is dead yet a paladin. Having his free will is irrelevent, every frosaken have that. Tirion explain it to us in the ice crown quests, the holy light does not abandon its heroes easily. Even after death they could still call upon the light, just like there can be warlock humans and paladin humans in the same city. Having forsaken calling upon the light wouldnt be any stranger.

Because they have weak racial and no one would play them anyway