Page 1 of 2
LastLast

14 good raid bosses

OK, so here is the idea. There are tons of threads about how boring everything is, only 7 bosses, blah blah, we all have seen it. So the challenge is to create 14 unique bosses you want to fight in a future raid. Really good thoughts can be taken to official forums and posted as suggestions to Blizzard. Ideas are the hardest part of creating. It is easy to QQ. Much harder to offer a solution.

I would like to fight a three headed Hydra. Each head would consist of a "phase" and contain certain abilities. Depending on the role of the first person in combat would determine which head was active first.

Head 1: A massive melee type head with biting damage and a fire breath weapon. This head would be tanked by a raid tank. Tank damage would be heavy, requiring intensive healing. Phase lasts 1 minute, then the head would become inactive. Another head would take it's place.

Head 2: An undead head that is damaged by being healed. The Hydra summons waves of undead minions that must be contained by the raid team. Each undead that reaches the Hydra increases Final Phase health by 5%. Phase lasts 1 minute. The final head will take it's place.

Head 3: A moderate melee type head with AOE frost damage. This head will attack the player wth the most damage done in the encounter. It will be designed to attack a dps player typically. Although punishing, DPS players will be able to survive using personal CDs and healing. Death of said DPS tank enrages the head, increasing damage done by 50% and attacking random targets. Phase lasts 1 minute and leads to final phase.

Final Phase: All 3 heads become active. Assuming no minions have been allowed to reach the Hydra, a limited health burn phase ensues where all 3 tanks are tanking at the same time. All 3 heads must die within 10 seconds of each other, or a RES will be issued for any dead heads. Fire and Frost damage occurs simultaneously, while slower more moderate waves of adds spawn with low health.

This thread is not about critiqueing other players ideas. It is about ideas. Put them out there. Who knows. You might create the next raid boss. Blizzard seems to struggle with new ideas.

Deleted
    sounds like you just threw a whole bunch of randomly selected mechanics together trying to be original

Quote Originally Posted by ciaro View Post
    sounds like you just threw a whole bunch of randomly selected mechanics together trying to be original
    Come on, no sense in trying to troll something that may actually be constructive!

If I go in to detail on some of the fights I have thought up in the past, this post will go for a while, placeholder'd for later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ford
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it.
    This explains a lot.

tbh id like to see enrage timmers mean that

if u cant kill the boss in the alotted time theyll becom e immune to all dmg EVEN DOTS

and ive loads of 1 dps up and <1% on boss left and boss dies with dps

i want rid of that
    Last edited by thunderdragon2; 2011-11-20 at 07:53 PM.

Deleted
    I don't have a boss encouter in my head atm, but things I did like in the past was the Mindcontrolling/CC'ing on KT Naxx25 (never tried it 40) and Lady Deathwhisper.
    I would love if they did something like that again - CC the MC'd ones to keep yourself alive.
    Another thing I liked aswell, was Instructor Razuvious where we ourself had to MC adds etc.

Those encounters with alot of special things going on are my total favourites.
    When/if I get some good ideas, I'll throw it in here.

Great thread btw.

The undead head is basically just Dreamwalker from ICC :V
    Also how will that work in ten man where you only have two tanks and not all DPS even have defensive cooldowns?

After I saw a scene in an anime, I've wanted that kind of fight, besides that, I've always liked both the Thorim fight in Ulduar and Conclave in to4w.

It's basically a big room with an object (think crystal, orb or whatever) that needs to destroyed. To get to the room, there's 5 entrances which will be like gauntlets. So, on 10man, people would be split into 2 and 2, while on 25man 5 and 5. Each gauntlet is different and every gauntlet doesn't require a tank nor healer.
    Phase one would basically mean that the raid is split into their groups of 2 or 5, rushing through their assigned gauntlet.
    Phase two, when everyone reaches the object, it'll be an intense dps and healing fight from there. If the object isn't down before x seconds, it explodes and wipes the raid

Honestly, I love Firelands, even IF it is a 7 boss tier. The encounters are all really well designed.

They should give bosses like lady vashj, kalethas , illidan , lich kings , maghteridon , some swp bosses , Netherspite , shadow of aran .I dont actually care if they bring mechanics we had already in the past i want just bosses to be hard like those i listed , and that require some effort and i dont want to be able to clear the istance after 2-3 days of the expansion/raid launch.

You cleared BoT 2 days after the launch of Cataclysm?
    That is amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's nothing wrong with the current encounters, all of them are plenty more original by design than anything listed in here tbh

That being said, keep going, it's an interesting read

Quote Originally Posted by Litoru View Post
    After I saw a scene in an anime, I've wanted that kind of fight, besides that, I've always liked both the Thorim fight in Ulduar and Conclave in to4w.

It's basically a big room with an object (think crystal, orb or whatever) that needs to destroyed. To get to the room, there's 5 entrances which will be like gauntlets. So, on 10man, people would be split into 2 and 2, while on 25man 5 and 5. Each gauntlet is different and every gauntlet doesn't require a tank nor healer.
    Phase one would basically mean that the raid is split into their groups of 2 or 5, rushing through their assigned gauntlet.
    Phase two, when everyone reaches the object, it'll be an intense dps and healing fight from there. If the object isn't down before x seconds, it explodes and wipes the raid
    Oh, I like that idea. Balance the raid design. I do like.

God damn, can anyone read?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderdragon2 View Post
    tbh id like to see enrage timmers mean that

if u cant kill the boss in the alotted time theyll becom e immune to all dmg EVEN DOTS

and ive loads of 1 dps up and <1% on boss left and boss dies with dps

i want rid of that
    So take away all that exitement for near wipe kills? WTF.

---------- Post added 2011-11-20 at 10:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tyranide View Post
    They should give bosses like lady vashj, kalethas , illidan , lich kings , maghteridon , some swp bosses , Netherspite , shadow of aran .I dont actually care if they bring mechanics we had already in the past i want just bosses to be hard like those i listed , and that require some effort and i dont want to be able to clear the istance after 2-3 days of the expansion/raid launch.
    This is not a thread for whining. Reported.

---------- Post added 2011-11-20 at 10:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tanker View Post
    OK, so here is the idea. There are tons of threads about how boring everything is, only 7 bosses, blah blah, we all have seen it. So the challenge is to create 14 unique bosses you want to fight in a future raid. Really good thoughts can be taken to official forums and posted as suggestions to Blizzard. Ideas are the hardest part of creating. It is easy to QQ. Much harder to offer a solution.

I would like to fight a three headed Hydra. Each head would consist of a "phase" and contain certain abilities. Depending on the role of the first person in combat would determine which head was active first.

Head 1: A massive melee type head with biting damage and a fire breath weapon. This head would be tanked by a raid tank. Tank damage would be heavy, requiring intensive healing. Phase lasts 1 minute, then the head would become inactive. Another head would take it's place.

Head 2: An undead head that is damaged by being healed. The Hydra summons waves of undead minions that must be contained by the raid team. Each undead that reaches the Hydra increases Final Phase health by 5%. Phase lasts 1 minute. The final head will take it's place.

Head 3: A moderate melee type head with AOE frost damage. This head will attack the player wth the most damage done in the encounter. It will be designed to attack a dps player typically. Although punishing, DPS players will be able to survive using personal CDs and healing. Death of said DPS tank enrages the head, increasing damage done by 50% and attacking random targets. Phase lasts 1 minute and leads to final phase.

Final Phase: All 3 heads become active. Assuming no minions have been allowed to reach the Hydra, a limited health burn phase ensues where all 3 tanks are tanking at the same time. All 3 heads must die within 10 seconds of each other, or a RES will be issued for any dead heads. Fire and Frost damage occurs simultaneously, while slower more moderate waves of adds spawn with low health.

This thread is not about critiqueing other players ideas. It is about ideas. Put them out there. Who knows. You might create the next raid boss. Blizzard seems to struggle with new ideas.
    I like this, though I think it would be better to not have adds in the last phase but something a bit different. Maybe stuff to avoid.
    Also the third head should be range tanked or tanked by a melee DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Litoru View Post

In order to prevent any balance issues you might want to consider opening 2 randomly in 10-man on any given week, that way you have at least a healer to work with and you can do a lot more varied gauntlets.

And you need something for tanks to do in the last phase, I hate respeccing.

Stood in the Fire themightysven's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    this would be for a mage style (arcane) boss possibly Gnome/Goblin, as there's engineering bits.

During the whole fight the Boss sits up on a platform and varies attack between throwing arcane shrapnel grenades and swarming arcane missles (for some good ole "get out of the fire/everythings on fire/oh" ness)

Phase 1- 10 or 25 (depending) apprentice adds come out and must be burned down. They have an assortment of abilities. Tanks have to pick up some of the healers' adds.

Phase 2 Steam-powered Data Collator A stationary device pops up in a random location in the room and begins blasting an increasing damage pulse. DpS burn to conserve healer mana.

Phase 2/Phase 1 transition Outlier Cleaner. A small bomb-bot is released and goes to the top damage dealer from phase 2, and disintegrates them. (dead, no battle rez)

repeat 3 times (rule of three)

at end of fight the mage in question calls for more apprentices, none show, then calls for more robots, dispersal door opens, but there are only sparks. Mage panics and teleports, leaving chest.
    Ewok Sith Lords are all about Agility

Giant boomkin - dance off

Just a general setup for a fight, you could have a lot more fun with boss abilities. It's got elements of loads of past fights but done slightly differently (os+3, maloriak, dreamwalker, thorim, twin emps, etc)

Dual boss fight with add zerg.

You enter the room & there's a walled off alcove at the back with the Queen/Scientist/Mage in it. You attack her to start the fight & she calls out for her guards.

Part of the raid is now tank'n'spanking her down, the rest of the raid splits off & goes back out of the alcove to the main portion of the room. Guards start coming out in increasing waves. Probably have a fairly standard add mix - big melee dudes, little fast packs & medium casters - but you could make it more interesting. By default they're running towards the Queen's alcove but they do have an aggro table (with the possible exception of the little fast packs).

Aside from whatever regular combat abilities you want to give her, the Queen has the "Cry Out" cast time spell. Every time it's interrupted, she gains another stack of 'Infuriated' which increases her haste & damage significantly (i.e. 10% or more). If you allow the spell to go off, it clears her stacks of Infuriated but makes the Adds ignore aggro and head straight for the Queen.

Any add who gets within line-of-sight of the Queen (i.e. out of the main room and able to see into her alcove) gains the "Protect the Queen!" buff. Effects would be different for the varying add types (and could alter further on heroic mode) but could include things like no-aggro/random-target for the big melee adds (throw in a cleave for heroic mode?), heals+teleportation for the casters and aoe-damage face-hugging for the little ones.

But wait.. the fun's not over yet. Assuming you can keep the adds+queen under control, there's still the last line of defense: the King/Chief-Guard/General.

Trailing in with the last batch of add-zerg is their leader, come to rescue the Queen himself. He could have a broader range of abilities than the queen, including (i.e.) an aoe that makes the raid cluster up to split damage (which'd be nice & problematic given adds+LoS restrictions), randomly ordering any remaining adds to focus attack raid members, and possibly something like a trap/harpoon/iceblock or knockback ("Back Invader!"?) which could further make life irritating when dealing with the split damage aoe.

But wait, there's more... the King is also affected by the Queen's "Cry Out" ability. Once it successfully goes off when he's active he'll head straight for her until they're within LoS, she'll stop casting it, and they'll both go into a rapidly scaling damage boost. From this point on they'll berserk if they leave each other's LoS (or one dies - which also means you'll have to be careful about killing the Queen early). They could intermittently focus fire raid members from range until that raid member leaves their LoS. Their damage will scale up in the same manner as the Queen's "Infuriated" but it won't be resettable anymore. Any surviving adds could gain a "Last Stand" buff. And they could potentially gain further abilities if you really want to ramp up the pain.

So it's a synchronised two boss kill, with a dps/hps splitting add zerg balanced against a soft-enrage throughout most of the fight, and some strict LoS/positioning requirements ... oh, and the standard frenzied burn-phase at the end

Quote Originally Posted by lakhesis View Post
    Just a general setup for a fight, you could have a lot more fun with boss abilities. It's got elements of loads of past fights but done slightly differently (os+3, maloriak, dreamwalker, thorim, twin emps, etc)

OMG, I already want to reroll instead of tanking this. Just kidding. That has lots of potential. 100% sure for insanity.

How about a boss fight that doesn't get nerfed after 2 weeks