Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Key Bindings & Addons You Must Have

My mouse wheel is what I prefer to bind to first. It is what I use for my main nukes and anything that is spammed. Rolling a wheel is much easier than bashing a key. I was happy to see that there was the option to bind to the mouse wheel, although it did not function correctly when I was playing surely it will be fixed. Binding to the wheel is a deal breaker for me. I know that seems silly, but I would never want to play w/o it.

I also can't imagine playing w/o Bartender and Parrot. I applaud their UI and think they did a nice job, but custom UIs are necessary now in gaming. People are too used to playing with them. It just feels like you are being denied full enjoyment.

What bindings or addons do you consider must haves? As in, you really feel are must haves.
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    Theirs a few things that I would like to see them release really soon. Either a mod to or they implement in game a way to scale the UI. Boss timers and warnings for raids would be nice. A mod akin to decursive to help dispel in 16 man raids.

15+ Year Old Account
    Keybinding wise, everything I tried seemed to work. Now, there's weren't as many button slots as I'm typically used to, but with less skills overall I don't see the need for all the button slots. There were a couple issues with keybindings ( For example, ctrl+A is a bind I used in WoW, but when I bound it in SW it would still toggle ambient sounds instead of using the key, even after I unbound toggle AS in the options. Happened with a couple other binds too. ) but I'm hoping they're just beta bugs that will be ironed out either before, or shortly after release.

Addons wise, I'm not really sure. A UI scale would be AMAZING. I did find the default UI to be a weebit big. Something to track procs would be nice, because as a SW tracking Revenge ( was that the name? The Riposte they get. ) was a bit of an annoyance. But this is more a QoL change than anything else. I honestly am still undecided about whether or not I'd like a combat log/parser. I get both sides of that argument, and just not sure which I agree with more.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    I tried several times to keybind my "T" key to targeting, instead of the tab key. It just won't work ! I'd like to see the key bindings be a little more useful.
    Also, as many others have said, something to give us more control over our UI's.
    Remember: Ignorance can be corrected with a little instruction.
    But, Stupid is forever.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bommer View Post
    I tried several times to keybind my "T" key to targeting, instead of the tab key. It just won't work ! I'd like to see the key bindings be a little more useful.
    Also, as many others have said, something to give us more control over our UI's.
    I believe they went with the same route as Rift and had 2 "target" keybindings, next target and cycle target or something like that. Did you try both? If you did, then again, I hope that's just a beta bug or is fixed quickly enough.

I love bartender so much, I see no downside to the amount of fine tuning it brings. If they made the ingame ui work like it I would never ask for addons again.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    Theirs a few things that I would like to see them release really soon. Either a mod to or they implement in game a way to scale the UI. Boss timers and warnings for raids would be nice. A mod akin to decursive to help dispel in 16 man raids.
    Just on a sidenote to the topic, you CAN change the scale of your UI in the options.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd like to see a threat and damage meter to help judge how I'm doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakpoth View Post
    I find it unreasonable to ask for other than obvious reasons, when the reason obviously is the obvious reason.
    Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch.../dalaran/ryuji

Song that's currently stuck in my head: pretty much anything from Dance With the Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    My mouse wheel is what I prefer to bind to first. It is what I use for my main nukes and anything that is spammed. Rolling a wheel is much easier than bashing a key. I was happy to see that there was the option to bind to the mouse wheel, although it did not function correctly when I was playing surely it will be fixed. Binding to the wheel is a deal breaker for me. I know that seems silly, but I would never want to play w/o it.

I also can't imagine playing w/o Bartender and Parrot. I applaud their UI and think they did a nice job, but custom UIs are necessary now in gaming. People are too used to playing with them. It just feels like you are being denied full enjoyment.

What bindings or addons do you consider must haves? As in, you really feel are must haves.
    I think you can bind your mousewheel to a button. I haven't tested it but I remember seeing it some place in keybindings.

As for addons BioWare won't put releasing their code for quite some time and the code to develop addons will be limited. Anything we are accustomed to in WoW probably won't be around in SWTOR

I'm good with no mods on TOR, or at most being able to shift around what is already there. When mods became "must have" when I started endgame in wow, it really killed a lot of the enjoyment for me.

Yah OP i had the exact same issue with my mouse wheel keybind in the game. Reported in while in game, and on the forums, and have scene a lot of people saying the same. So it should hopefully be fixed. I also rely heavily on my mouse wheel for interrupts and stuns, so I can spam the button like 6 times in one second, rather then like 2 times a second for normal keys. Beats putting it on a regular button any day.

But yah, I could not play WoW without dominoes or ICEHUD. Thank Bioware TOR built in its own way to change hot keys, or I would not have been able to play and it be enjoyable. Every other addon I think of, I could live without.

I really would like them to add some more to the UI in TOR. A way to scale it better to look good on massive screens and ability timers are my top 2.(Dominoes and ICEHUD like addons lol)
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alta87 View Post
    Just on a sidenote to the topic, you CAN change the scale of your UI in the options.
    What the deuce, did they add it in the recent build? You have a screen shot? I looked all through the options last weekend and couldn't find it.

---------- Post added 2011-11-21 at 04:16 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Moonsorow View Post
    I think you can bind your mousewheel to a button. I haven't tested it but I remember seeing it some place in keybindings.

As for addons BioWare won't put releasing their code for quite some time and the code to develop addons will be limited. Anything we are accustomed to in WoW probably won't be around in SWTOR
    I seem to recall BW saying they would implement mods shortly after release

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    What the deuce, did they add it in the recent build? You have a screen shot? I looked all through the options last weekend and couldn't find it.
    Just entered the game and can't find it also , no ui scalling options. maybe I'm overlooking something .
    Didn't see it , and can't see it now.

After pet classes in wow, if I could just macro companion attack to things I'd be worlds happier, not exactly what you asked but keybinds are normal and in, and addons will come, game is awesome enough to wait.

I play games competently without add-ons. At least in WoW and other mmos. Then again I wasn't placing world firsts nor was I even trying.

For while I used DBM but when it wanted me to update it again and again I couldn't be bothered. I've seen other peoples recounts and I have done fine without it myself, typically placing in the top dps. I don't need the hand-holding of add-ons.

Macros are helpful though, as are keybindings. I hate to reach across a keyboard because the set hot-key is an awkward one. From combining useful abilities to ease of the auto-run feature I typically modify my keybindings and make macros a fair bunch. As an example auto-run is typically reassigned to one of the extra mouse buttons.
    Last edited by Argroth; 2011-11-21 at 05:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Argroth View Post
    I play game competently without add-ons. At least in WoW and other mmos. Then again I wasn't placing world firsts nor was I even trying.

For while I used DBM but when it wanted me to update it again and again I couldn't be bothered. I've seen other peoples recounts and I have done fine without it myself, typically placing in the top dps. I don't need the hand-holding of add-ons.

Macros are helpful though, as are keybindings. I hate to reach across a keyboard because the set hot-key is an awkward one. From combining useful abilities to ease of the auto-run feature I typically modify my keybindings and make macros a fair bunch. As an example auto-run is typically reassigned to one of the extra mouse buttons.
    I know what ya mean, I played till LK before I even got my first addon, but being able to have your ui perfectly customized to your exact needs is such a dream that it is a little hard to do without, but I'll get used to it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tripplebooya View Post
    After pet classes in wow, if I could just macro companion attack to things I'd be worlds happier, not exactly what you asked but keybinds are normal and in, and addons will come, game is awesome enough to wait.
    You can rebind the keys that the companion skills are on, if that's what you mean. But if you're talking macroing companion skills into your abilities, so they both are on the same key, then no thats not in.

Macros
    Mouseover
    Detach and Resize UI elements
    Buff Debuff timers
    Viewport (look up CBH Viewport if you don't know what it is)
    Target of Target / Assist (that German interview said they're afraid of it working in PvP)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Truedusk View Post
    Macros
    Mouseover
    Detach and Resize UI elements
    Buff Debuff timers
    Viewport (look up CBH Viewport if you don't know what it is)
    Target of Target / Assist (that German interview said they're afraid of it working in PvP)
    none of that is working @ the current time at least.

you do have an assist key but no target of target information

Debuff timers are "visual" you can only check the actual time when mouseover them
    no macros, no options to change the ui ( both moving or resizing )
    no viewport.

Quote Originally Posted by Alta87 View Post
    If you remember WHERE that option was, or if you're in beta and can take a screenshot of it, that would be greatly appreciated. I'm not saying you're wrong, I just couldn't find it anywhere & would greatly appreciate it!