Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account

AMD Radeon HD Driver Update

Just letting you guys know that approximately six days ago AMD released a driver update for their graphics cards. Just noticed it now so figured I'd let ya know.

Visit here and input your info for you update.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm somewhat loathe to update drivers given that Radeon has had shitty driver support in the past. I also notice that theirs no fixes or work around for SWTOR yet from either company? Rage had it in literally like days.

Anyone updated to this driver and tried it? I'm usually weary about doing so until someone else has taken the leap of faith.

Quote Originally Posted by dragothica View Post
    Was there some problem then with ATI GPU's and the game? I don't remember how it ran, been out for couple of weeks.

I upgraded to those drivers couple of days ago when I noticed they were out but I haven't tried SW:tOR yet.
    Nvidia cards are having problems too, I've seen people with 560's and 580's having just as many problems as people with ATI cards.

15+ Year Old Account
    WTB a freaking new driver for my 560ti, not that I am experiencing any issues at all. Not a single new driver since October.

It is just some skyrim support updates. I have not seen any good/bad influence with swtor from the update catalyst 12.1

Edit: Go to http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...ersion121.aspx

Start with Highlights of the AMD Catalyst™ 12.1 Windows® release

It doesn't say anything about swtor

New profiles added to this release:
    - Need for Speed: The Run – fixes flashing in terrain, shadows and bushes
    - Prototype 2: Improves single GPU and CrossFire performance
    - Insane 2: Improves CrossFire performance
    - Syndicate - Improves CrossFire performance
    - Costume Quest – Resolves image quality issues
    - DOTA 2 – Enables CrossFire support for this title

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jearle View Post
    Anyone updated to this driver and tried it? I'm usually weary about doing so until someone else has taken the leap of faith.
    I am using them, so far no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    I'm somewhat loathe to update drivers given that Radeon has had shitty driver support in the past. I also notice that theirs no fixes or work around for SWTOR yet from either company? Rage had it in literally like days.
    Rumor has it, and note it's a pretty far-fetched rumor and as such probably not true, EA didn't want to pay off Nvidia and ATI to have their drivers optimized for SWTOR because BF3 had just come out about a month prior and they made a big shit about BF3-optimized drivers and so they didn't want to spend more money.

Again, probably not true in the slightest, but it is pretty strange. SWTOR may not have been as big of a launch as some other games but it was certainly big enough. You'd expect some optimized drivers within the first month at least but apparently not.

I have been using the beta version of 12.1 since about a week after swtor launched. They said that the drivers were designed to optimize cross-fire and SLI issues, but the driver had the added benefit of tripling my FPS.

I use a AMD quad 3.0 8 gigs RAM and a 5750 Ratheon. swtor runs at 60-90 fps, and 30-40 on the fleet. I recommend the driver even if it is not specifically optimized for this game.

I've been getting black screens/hard crashes since the game was released. In the last 4 days I haven't gotten a single one, when it's usually several a day. Within an hour of downloading the driver I got a black screen, meh...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    I've been getting black screens/hard crashes since the game was released. In the last 4 days I haven't gotten a single one, when it's usually several a day. Within an hour of downloading the driver I got a black screen, meh...
    Time to roll back them drivers..

How is that Asus g73JH treating you??? You need to update those Vbios to fix that...

Quote Originally Posted by d1zzle23 View Post
    How is that Asus g73JH treating you???
    No idea wtf that even is.

Time to roll back them drivers..
    Yup...just got a 2nd crash.

10+ Year Old Account
    No idea wtf that even is.

Yup...just got a 2nd crash.
    Hmm interesting. What version did you roll them back to?

Hmm interesting. What version did you roll them back to?
    I'm doin that now, the 2 crashes is with the new driver. I'm just gonna go back to the previous version since it was mostly fine for a while.

Updating your graphics drivers, regardless of the brand, as soon as they come out is a horrible idea. Horrible.

Give it more than 7 days. Let people who are dumb enough to do the update and experience the problems so they get fixed before you update.

Long story short, thanks to everyone who has updated their drivers to these drivers and reported the issues they have had. You are making it one day closer to me getting my drivers updated.

Please do not belittle people who keep their products up to date as soon as an update is ready. There is no need to call other forum users dumb. - Cula
    Last edited by OhpUldum; 2012-02-01 at 12:01 AM.

So ya, if you get the black screen hard crashes that I get, don't download this because it will fuck you.

It might sound weird, but I have to underclock or I get a ton of black screens/hard crashes. When I installed the new driver it put my MSI afterburner settings back to default, once I underclocked it again my problems went away. I installed the previous driver and still had problems until I underclocked.

10+ Year Old Account
    It might sound weird, but I have to underclock or I get a ton of black screens/hard crashes. When I installed the new driver it put my MSI afterburner settings back to default, once I underclocked it again my problems went away. I installed the previous driver and still had problems until I underclocked.
    That's not weird at all actually. CCC should have a activity/temp monitor keep an eye on it if you OC again.