Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    Scarab Lord Loaf Lord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rue d'Auseil
    Posts
    4,558
    A cross server group finder might not ever be needed in TOR. Since it's only 4 people instead of 5 it might be a lot easier to find groups on server.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Karazee View Post
    Hahahahaha

    There's no way it will ever take you 10-12 hours to complete the starting area. I've leveled multiple characters of multiple classes, and it won't take anyone more than five hours tops on the starter world unless they're intentionally staying there or just standing around not doing anything. Five hours... even six hours would be a VERY generous estimate for people who have never played an MMO, have never leveled a character on that starter world, etc. If you are actively questing, even for a new player, it likely will take you roughly four hours at most.
    Perhaps. Th important thing is: you will get sucked into the story where other mmo's especially wow just make you accept the quest without getting sucked into the story. You just take the quest, open your minimap look where to go, collect/kill, get back and you don't really know for what you have done that. Of course you"can" read the qlog. but nobody does. in swtor you just need to listen an watch. lean back and enjoy the show instead of reading little qlogs.
    This is the most important thing for me to switch to swtor. It needs not to be yours. but it is mine.

  3. #23
    It took me around 8 hours the first time I did the Jedi Knight starting zone. Sure, if you rush through it you could do it faster, but that can be said to any game.

  4. #24
    Over 9000! Glorious Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In my bunker leading uprisings
    Posts
    9,407
    I felt their was alot of running around in the first area and in addition to the story elements it does add up to be quite a bit of time. Especially if you do all quests, including the heroic 2 player quests. Took me about 8 hours and I still had a handful of side stuff left over to do.

  5. #25
    I think it's safe to say we can work out an average time it's going to take for the starter zone so lets get the thread back on track.

    Decent review of the early stages of the game, good effort. People have picked up on the fact that it is a 'biased review' but tbh I think it's refreshing to just a have a nice little positive post.

    If I cared what a WoW fanboi thought was wrong with the game I would check any one of the 8 million threads around the place complaining of a lack of lfg and the fact they just space barred through the story line.

    Good Job

  6. #26
    High Overlord nyoan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Posts
    158
    Thanks for finding and posting this. Good read.

    ---------- Post added 2011-11-21 at 06:48 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    I felt their was alot of running around in the first area and in addition to the story elements it does add up to be quite a bit of time. Especially if you do all quests, including the heroic 2 player quests. Took me about 8 hours and I still had a handful of side stuff left over to do.
    I agree entirely. Those first areas are huge if you hoof it from one side to another
    Vidso, Vanguard Shield Specialist
    Evil meet my Rifle. RIFLE MEET EVIL!
    Founding member of Bantha Squad
    The Ebon Hawk server

  7. #27
    Brewmaster redruMPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Bloody Bamboo Forrest of Eternal Nightmares
    Posts
    1,435
    The PvP was bad, the PvE grouping needs to be improved, the UI annoyed me having something directly in the middle top of your screen with no way to move it, the combat was clunky at times, and the entire "professions" thing needs more explaining to newer players.

    The questing was amazing, the voice acting was great, and the graphics were smooth with some area for improvement.

    I will be playing this in January. I say January bc I want to give it some time to work out any bugs and get a steady population on the realms going. I will however be playing WoW at the same time. Don't get me wrong it's a great game, but it's still no WoW.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by redruMPanda View Post
    and the entire "professions" thing needs more explaining to newer players
    I think with the exception of EQ2 no game really explains the profession thing.
    Its just something you either pickup later (as a total MMO beginner) or miss completely.


    I know first time through wow I thought skinning and mining where just stuff to sell to the vendor for fun.....ah all that wasted ore

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    It actually does sort of have a LFG component. It works like the current raid finder in wow where you flag yourself as looking for a group, and then if someone else is putting together a group they can look at the list and pick people. It's not cross server or anything though.
    thats the beauty of ity.. no cross server, u will be doing stuffs with ppl in your own server, that will enhance the community

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    A cross server group finder might not ever be needed in TOR. Since it's only 4 people instead of 5 it might be a lot easier to find groups on server.
    It wont be, just like it was harder in wow to find you own groups. Is there something to be said for a servers sense of community? Sure. There is also something to be said for not sitting around yelling in general that you want to do X dungeon.

    Or let me put this another way, from a dps perspective. With 4 man groups, take WOWs dps q time and then wait 33% longer in SWTOR.

    ---------- Post added 2011-11-22 at 02:12 AM ----------

    The thing i dont get about this "review" is that it isnt from a WOW players perspective in any way. What does a wow player want? MORE TO DO AT MAX LEVEL. Wow players arent leaving because they want more minigames, they arent leaving because there isnt enough story in wow, they arent leaving because the starting zones take 2 hours and not 10.
    They are leaving because they get to 85, get all the zul-gear and have nothing to do. Most people still dont raid, and even those that do are done with this tier of raiding. Wow players want more content, they want more things to do but stand in SW/Org all night.

    The only review that matters to -this- wow player is the one that actually talks about how the combat feels, how balanced things are, and if there is anything to do at the level cap.

    Will people buy and play SWTOR? Sure. Will they stick with it? Who knows. But i do know that they wont stick with it just because it has voice acting, or a space-shooter-on-rails minigame, or because the starting areas were good or not.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilim View Post
    Not everyone is you. I took well over 10 hours on my JK. Ever heard of EXPLORING?
    The original quote was "The content is at least 10-12 hours and it is class specific." Exploring is not "class specific," and it's not "the content." That's more what I said, "unless you're intentionally staying there." If you're actually doing stuff and questing, it does not take anywhere near 10-12 hours. I stand by my response. The vast majority of people are going to finish questing and leave, not explore for the sake of exploring.

    Please read what you're responding to before you jump all over the writer.

    ---------- Post added 2011-11-21 at 09:52 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Alver View Post
    Perhaps. Th important thing is: you will get sucked into the story where other mmo's especially wow just make you accept the quest without getting sucked into the story. You just take the quest, open your minimap look where to go, collect/kill, get back and you don't really know for what you have done that. Of course you"can" read the qlog. but nobody does. in swtor you just need to listen an watch. lean back and enjoy the show instead of reading little qlogs.
    This is the most important thing for me to switch to swtor. It needs not to be yours. but it is mine.
    No, I agree completely. It makes it feel like questing at Level 1 is just as "important" in the grand scheme of the universe as questing at Level 49, and that's an awesome thing.

  12. #32
    Brought tears to my eyes. Wonderful

  13. #33
    Good review.

    It's amazing how awesome and engaging the story is in TOR. And I say that as someone who doesn't usually read quests/storylines & doesn't give a flip about Star Wars lore/movies.

    The Inquisitor, Smuggler and Bounty Hunter stories are incredibly compelling.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by anothdae View Post
    It wont be, just like it was harder in wow to find you own groups. Is there something to be said for a servers sense of community? Sure. There is also something to be said for not sitting around yelling in general that you want to do X dungeon.

    Or let me put this another way, from a dps perspective. With 4 man groups, take WOWs dps q time and then wait 33% longer in SWTOR.

    ---------- Post added 2011-11-22 at 02:12 AM ----------

    The thing i dont get about this "review" is that it isnt from a WOW players perspective in any way. What does a wow player want? MORE TO DO AT MAX LEVEL. Wow players arent leaving because they want more minigames, they arent leaving because there isnt enough story in wow, they arent leaving because the starting zones take 2 hours and not 10.
    They are leaving because they get to 85, get all the zul-gear and have nothing to do. Most people still dont raid, and even those that do are done with this tier of raiding. Wow players want more content, they want more things to do but stand in SW/Org all night.

    The only review that matters to -this- wow player is the one that actually talks about how the combat feels, how balanced things are, and if there is anything to do at the level cap.

    Will people buy and play SWTOR? Sure. Will they stick with it? Who knows. But i do know that they wont stick with it just because it has voice acting, or a space-shooter-on-rails minigame, or because the starting areas were good or not.
    '

    will ppl stick with aion? No, it's dying slowly! HARDCORE PLAYERS ONLY! Will ppl stick with rift? No, it's slowly dying! same cycle. ppl like you in the future will qq about swtor needing to improve and etc! See ya laterz freak fucks

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Smackback View Post
    If I cared what a WoW fanboi thought was wrong with the game I would check any one of the 8 million threads around the place complaining of a lack of lfg
    I remember glorious days of Burning Crusade, when LFG was not even in plans, and it was great, i was lonely elemental shaman on alliance side on my server, and thanks to skill (not stupid spells like hexx, sheep, trap etc.) when i was coming online, i had tons of PMs to join daily heroic....

    Hope Bioware is smart enough to not kill its own community..

    ---------- Post added 2011-11-22 at 12:31 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by anothdae View Post
    It wont be, just like it was harder in wow to find you own groups. Is there something to be said for a servers sense of community? Sure. There is also something to be said for not sitting around yelling in general that you want to do X dungeon.

    Or let me put this another way, from a dps perspective. With 4 man groups, take WOWs dps q time and then wait 33% longer in SWTOR.

    ---------- Post added 2011-11-22 at 02:12 AM ----------

    The thing i dont get about this "review" is that it isnt from a WOW players perspective in any way. What does a wow player want? MORE TO DO AT MAX LEVEL. Wow players arent leaving because they want more minigames, they arent leaving because there isnt enough story in wow, they arent leaving because the starting zones take 2 hours and not 10.
    They are leaving because they get to 85, get all the zul-gear and have nothing to do. Most people still dont raid, and even those that do are done with this tier of raiding. Wow players want more content, they want more things to do but stand in SW/Org all night.

    The only review that matters to -this- wow player is the one that actually talks about how the combat feels, how balanced things are, and if there is anything to do at the level cap.

    Will people buy and play SWTOR? Sure. Will they stick with it? Who knows. But i do know that they wont stick with it just because it has voice acting, or a space-shooter-on-rails minigame, or because the starting areas were good or not.
    WOW has content my dear friend, it doesn't have QUALITY content, all is piss easy and boring, thats why people leaving. Because quality is lost since Burning Crusade, it was the best game ever created for me...

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasok1986 View Post
    IWOW has content my dear friend, it doesn't have QUALITY content, all is piss easy and boring, thats why people leaving. Because quality is lost since Burning Crusade, it was the best game ever created for me...
    Holy mother, what powerful bias. I hate to be the one to bring the argument, but surely, when you say it's piss easy and boring, you must've done all the content provided? Seeing as heroic raids these days are like the 25 man raids in TBC, surely you've beat them all to say it's easy?

    Boring is a personal opinion, so I can't call you out on that - I like the content, and I believe the quality of the content now is much much better than it was in TBC. The only reason I liked BT and TK was because the characters (Illidan and Kael'thas only, obviously) were nostalgic to me (like a lot of other people).

    Oh, and as for OT: I really hope this game becomes something people play. I've seen videos and read reviews, hoping it would make me excited, but it just doesn't. If anyone can tell me something that'll win me over aside from silly arguments like "WoW is shit, play SWTOR", I'll welcome it with open arms.
    Last edited by Captain Asshat; 2011-11-22 at 12:48 PM.
    I'm not a native English speaker, and yet, I don't suck at English. The argument "English is not my mother tongue" doesn't actually give you an excuse to do so.

  17. #37
    they are piss easy. my semi noobish/casual guild cleared 6/7 firelands hc few weeks ago. tbh i don't even know all the tactics for all the bosses and we're 1-2 shotting everything. it's sooo easy to get end high gear these days that it's unbelievable.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by yalin View Post
    they are piss easy. my semi noobish/casual guild cleared 6/7 firelands hc few weeks ago. tbh i don't even know all the tactics for all the bosses and we're 1-2 shotting everything. it's sooo easy to get end high gear these days that it's unbelievable.
    I'd ask you to prove that, but I'd never get any of the kind.
    I'm not a native English speaker, and yet, I don't suck at English. The argument "English is not my mother tongue" doesn't actually give you an excuse to do so.

  19. #39
    I played during the last beta weekend and this is the first review I can say is spot on. The questing / story is as amazing as the reviewer mentions, and also as linear (which can be good and bad).
    I also have to agree with someone else's comment that the professions were not explained well enough. You literally have no idea what you are picking up or what it does, and there was no where I could find in game, that told you. Even if other games don't tell you, you can at least guess. In SWTOR, it's hard to know what does what or even which are gathering, crafting, or misc. So yeah, they should do something about that.
    As far as starting area, I am going to say it took me 7-8 hours ish. I spent at least 3-4 hours playing on Saturday. Then another 4+ early Sunday before I got out of the starting area. However, I skipped no cutscenes and did every quest I could find. I was not rushing. I'm sure you probably could do it in 4-5 hours....but why? I mean this game is amazing largely due to the questing / story / voice acting. Why would you skip that?

    As far as end game, only time will tell. I plan on playing both for a while. I will keep raiding in WoW and I will gear the crap out of my alts at the start of 4.3...but thats going to be about it. I will end up back to logging in 2-3 times a week. I will play SWTOR when not raiding. And if end game is anywhere near as good as WoW, and they provide more than 7 bosses worth of content in a 6 month period of time, once my year is up, I'm gone.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxiye View Post
    I'd ask you to prove that, but I'd never get any of the kind.
    my toon. want sth more?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •