Page 1 of 16
... LastLast
    Deleted

what the hell happened at minecon?

MOD EDIT 4: Notch apologizes: https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/139548456971804673
    MOD EDIT 3: Mojang responds: http://twitter.com/#!/MojangTeam/sta...30389101735936
    MOD EDIT 2: Yogscast response: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HddMANh3Xis
    MOD EDIT: Notch's tweets: http://vps.marlamin.nl/u/Screenshot-...1_21.41.16.png
    so i've not been really up to date with the so called scandal that happened at Minecon (the Minecraft release party). what i got from it was that they invited Yogscast to come up stage to play the game, Simon and Lewis cursed a bit, which upset Notch and made him rant on Twitter?

can anyone give more details on this?
    Last edited by Marlamin; 2011-11-24 at 01:11 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Basically, yes. YC will be doing an official statement tomorrow when they get home, but what seems to have happened ( this is all from Notch's side. Him and TB are the only ones I've seen make any kind of statement about it. ) is Notch invited YC to do a panel where they played the game live. They swore ( can't find what exactly was said. Some say it was only Lewis saying shit when he died, Notch claims someone dropped the f-bomb - we don't know if it was directed at someone or not ) and Notch didn't agree with it. He later took to twitter, and after being "attacked" as he said by YC fans about how he responded to all this, he let the flood gates go and is making claims about how horrible YC actually are ( The demands, the autograph incident, etc. )

We've only got one side of the story to go by now, but there's 2 general sides to this atm: 1. Notch is in the right, YC shouldn't have sworn. and 2. Notch hosted a convention in Las Vegas, a place not known for it's kid-friendly-nature, and got angry when one of his speakers said a bad word, despite several cases of Notch making masterbation jokes during their interview.

Deleted
    This is the first ive heard of it, although looking at Notch's twitter - http://twitter.com/#!/notch it does seem as though this is true :S
    Seems very unlike the Yogscast boys though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Totalbiscuit made a write up to comment on this ( he sponsored YC on youtube and he's why they're partners I believe. Same with Jesse Cox )

http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/co...n_from/c31oib6

Deleted
    It's hard to say right now. It seems Notch is angry with Simon and Lewis for the way they acted at Minecon.

TotalBiscuit posted a very amusing summary on Twitter:

"A TLDR version for the Meme Generation - Scumbag Notch : WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN?! - Hosts Minecon in Sin City"

(Also posted quite an eloquent (albeit slightly biased) summary of his views on Reddit: Here.)

Can't pass judgement on the situation until Yogscast post their statement, they're playing it well by not sinking to Notch's level of lashing out via Twitter in response to his ranting through that medium, though.
    Last edited by mmocf558c230a5; 2011-11-21 at 10:13 PM.

Totalbiscuit is a huge dick himself in the Rock Paper Shotgun comments section and other places though, and as someone said earlier he has a working relationship with Yoggscast, so honestly I don't really trust anything he says

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Totalbiscuit is a huge dick himself in the Rock Paper Shotgun comments section and other places though, and as someone said earlier he has a working relationship with Yoggscast, so honestly I don't really trust anything he says
    don't forget.
    Its like TB supports something, Jesse Cox does to.
    If TB does not like it, neither does Jesse Cox
    IF TB is having sex with his wife, Jesse Cox is watching.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

I acctually saw something like this coming, sadly...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rly96...&feature=feedu
    That interview 7:40 minutes in, notch said something... Well it was a joke but Simon took it wrongly. I thought it would've gotten fixed behind the scenes but yeah, that might've triggered something.
    And if what notch said on twitter is true, well I might unsubscribe them tbh. No reason to act like divas and high and mighty (unless they said those sentances jokeingly and notch took it the wrong way)

Quote Originally Posted by Canuk View Post
    Totalbiscuit made a write up to comment on this ( he sponsored YC on youtube and he's why they're partners I believe. Same with Jesse Cox )

Thing is they are not really celebs.

I saw the Goodie bag post by yogg, kinda seemed very entitled, lots of sideways looks, because everything they got for free was aparently shit ( other then the mouse pad) lol
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I actually heard about this but never really looked into it. Very odd source of drama.

How much were minecon tickets? Last I heard they were going to be something ridiculous like $50 for a one day thing, but this was back when he first threw the idea around. Seems like he easily racked in some profit.

EDIT: Looked it up and it was $99 for a 2? day event over one game. WOW. They could have paid everyone who ran a panel a small fortune.
    Last edited by ZombyChan; 2011-11-21 at 10:33 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moogogaipan View Post
    Thing is they are not really celebs.

I saw the Goodie bag post by yogg, kinda seemed very entitled, lots of sideways looks, because everything they got for free was aparently shit ( other then the mouse pad) lol
    To be fair, there wasn't really much in that goodie bag. I got the same feeling, but they're used to goodie bags like Gamescom's and Blizzcon's. Notch isn't exactly hurting for money. It's not like he couldn't do better.

And I wouldn't call 1.2+ million subs on Youtube "not celebrities" Are they famous in the same sense of movie/TV actors and actresses? No. But the internet is a big place. And having 1.2 million people on there liking you enough to follow your account ( Note, this is just people who LIKE them enough to follow, there's many more that know of them. )

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baiyn View Post
    TotalBiscuit posted a very amusing summary on Twitter:

"A TLDR version for the Meme Generation - Scumbag Notch : WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN?! - Hosts Minecon in Sin City"

Mod edit: please don't post meme images.
    Last edited by The Madgod; 2011-11-21 at 11:30 PM.

See I like TB but there are some things there that I don't agree on the biggest thing is him comparing Yogcast to Riker and Spock... there is no way YC are that big, I didn't know about them till about 6 months ago and I've been playing MC for well over a year (actually prefered Seananners vids on it), so no they are in no way celebs really.

I also find it bizzare when he quotes Notch with "A kid wanted them to sign something I had signed, and they said they'd cross it out and put "fuck you" there instead." and turned round and said it's a form of British humour... I am British and can't see how that is humour and I have a pretty diverse and often messed up sense of humour, to me that does appear to just being an asshole =/

But I'm not going to take sides with this as we've only heard Notchs point of view on things and even then he didn't handle it very well, granted I've used things like Facebook and Twitter to rant but when you're the head of a company that makes such a popular game ranting on Twitter is possibly not a good idea.
    For the Horde!

Deleted
    Whatever happened, only one side of the story is out at the moment so it would be unwise to point the finger just yet. Oh, I found this too but I don't really know how reliable it is.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/co...inecon/c31odgc

Quote Originally Posted by Makronette View Post
    See I like TB but there are some things there that I don't agree on the biggest thing is him comparing Yogcast to Riker and Spock... there is no way YC are that big, I didn't know about them till about 6 months ago and I've been playing MC for well over a year (actually prefered Seananners vids on it), so no they are in no way celebs really.

I also find it bizzare when he quotes Notch with "A kid wanted them to sign something I had signed, and they said they'd cross it out and put "fuck you" there instead." and turned round and said it's a form of British humour... I am British and can't see how that is humour and I have a pretty diverse and often messed up sense of humour, to me that does appear to just being an asshole =/

But I'm not going to take sides with this as we've only heard Notchs point of view on things and even then he didn't handle it very well, granted I've used things like Facebook and Twitter to rant but when you're the head of a company that makes such a popular game ranting on Twitter is possibly not a good idea.
    Aye he can't blame that on some sort of joke, that was one of the things I disagreed with TB on. It's rude to the child, but also to notch. And for the people that doesn't know minecon wasa loss for minecraft moneywise. They knew it would be but mojang saw it as a fun thing. (Just check out one of notches blogg posts about it. It was a couple of months ago though)

Quote Originally Posted by ZombyChan View Post
    How much were minecon tickets? Last I heard they were going to be something ridiculous like $50 for a one day thing, but this was back when he first threw the idea around. Seems like he easily racked in some profit.

EDIT: Looked it up and it was $99 for a 2? day event over one game. WOW. They could have paid everyone who ran a panel a small fortune.
    You obviously missed the price on Blizzcon tickets, granted they're probably more elaborate, but still overpriced. But what isn't these days...

So I'm confused...Notch is just displeased with whoever these yoggcast people are for swearing while playing? Kind of an odd thing to be angry about, I mean, whenever a damn creeper sneaks up on me and explodes you should hear the string of swears I let out...either way, it's not like he has to reinvite them or whatever if Minecon ends up becoming an annual sort of deal.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kakuzo View Post
    Aye he can't blame that on some sort of joke, that was one of the things I disagreed with TB on. It's rude to the child, but also to notch. And for the people that doesn't know minecon wasa loss for minecraft moneywise. They knew it would be but mojang saw it as a fun thing. (Just check out one of notches blogg posts about it. It was a couple of months ago though)
    No where does it say that the supposed comment was in the presence of a kid. They may have been talking to each other and that's when it came up. Like Notch and YC are talking, YC goes "ha! Yeah, well I'm gonna go to the next kid you sign for and cross it out yaddayaddayadda."

I'm not saying this IS what happened. We won't know until at the earliest tomorrow when YC make their statement, but as it stands, we have NO context at all stating anything about when this happened.

[e]: Just another comment on the goodie bag, I'm not sure how exactly those work, but there's nothing in there from Mojang itself. There was a Jones cola ( sponsored ), a Mousepad from Razor ( sponsored ), a scavenger hunt with prizes ( Sponsored by XBox, Razor, Intel, etc. ) and a bunch of leaflets ( one sponsored by a MC server company. ) Nothing from Notch himself. Doesn't seem like he spent money on the bags at all =/ Compare this to Blizzcon's ( admittedly, Blizz is a bigger company, but still. )
    Last edited by Zerioc; 2011-11-21 at 10:48 PM.

No where does it say that the supposed comment was in the presence of a kid. They may have been talking to each other and that's when it came up. Like Notch and YC are talking, YC goes "ha! Yeah, well I'm gonna go to the next kid you sign for and cross it out yaddayaddayadda."

I'm not saying this IS what happened. We won't know until at the earliest tomorrow when YC make their statement, but as it stands, we have NO context at all stating anything about when this happened.
    Then isn't it just as bad of you to acctually come in with another scenario then? We both don't know but from notchs tweets it seemed that way, therefore I wrote it that way. From the information we have at the moment