Poll: Is WoW just old?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I don't think WoW is just getting old.
    Like OP said, developers are really taking WoW into a bad direction by making the game easier (I don't mean PvE encounters, game overall).
    Hi

Deleted
    It is old yeah, but doesn't mean anything... The game was 6 years old in WOTLK and numbers were still rising

Suddenly Cata hits and you see a vast decline? age isn't to blame, poor expansions are.

The game is old, in terms relative to video games. There's simply no denying that. It's rare to see any video game keep this sort of attention for that length of time. The fact that it's a sub-based game that has absolutely dominated the market for as long as it has is quite the testament.

Quote Originally Posted by Nest View Post
    I don't think WoW is just getting old.
    Like OP said, developers are really taking WoW into a bad direction by making the game easier (I don't mean PvE encounters, game overall).
    The game isn't easier. Its different. They added a learning curve.

If you find one aspect of the game easy, then move up the curve. If you're at the very top, then well done you're in the top 0.001% of the playerbase. Be happy.

---------- Post added 2011-11-22 at 02:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Blimey View Post
    Suddenly Cata hits and you see a vast decline? age isn't to blame, poor expansions are.
    Actually, you can stop with this lie now. We now know the reason.

Wrath of the Lich King was finally released in China. Most of the subs lost were in China. Thus technically Wrath of the Lich King is the cause of the declining subs.

Suck on that, and enjoy the taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    Wrath of the Lich King was finally released in China. Most of the subs lost were in China. Thus technically Wrath of the Lich King is the cause of the declining subs.
    Um, wrong. Cataclysm was just released in China (on July 12). Wrath had been out for a while, and the Chinese players had been responding positively to it.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

im on the tipping point but no for me

Deleted
    They've just fluffed the FL patch and made half a hash of the expansion in general. They made the mistake of listening to the elitist knobjockeys and tuned the game beyond the average players ability. Thankfully that phase seems to be over and with a bit of luck it'll never be seen again.

Blizzard are probably the best games company in the world when it comes to learning from mistakes, they'll turn it around.

Game isn't old. It's at heart an RPG for christsakes, they don't get old if they are made right. Go and dig out a FF7 or Morrowind if you don't believe me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Um, wrong. Cataclysm was just released in China (on July 12). Wrath had been out for a while, and the Chinese players had been responding positively to it.
    This.

You feel rather silly now, don't you Durandro?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bcbully View Post
    I think saying WoW is old is the ultimate condemnation. You don't come back from old..

I personally don't think WoW just is old. I think development stopped innovating, and made some bad choices. This is why I am so critical of the state of the game. I believe things can be done to breath life back into Azeroth. Things like 40 world bosses throughout the world. Slowing the fast forward to the end mentality. Making the world dangerous, just to name a few.

What do you think? Is WoW just old?

edit - I think I should have made the "just" bold. and added a just in the first sentence...

Is WoW getting old or is the current mmo mold just moldy? Think about it we have been running the same rat race for 13 years, how long can you do so before the entire process just gets tiring? The current version of WoW has one focus, to get you into raiding as fast as possible with little to do besides that I do mean "little" to do besides that.

I don't believe WoW is "old" any more than Star Trek was "old" when it they killed Enterprise due to "franchise fatigue". If you have good writing and storytelling, anything can be kept fresh and exciting. WoW is suffering from bad design and story decisions, not age.

Been playing wow for 5-6 years, and have been content all along, and not playing anything else. After playing Skyrim for a week, it feels very old and outdated. Ye I know it`s two different games - but Wow just feels old now. I signed up for the 12 months but doubt I will spend much more time in there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archdruid Exhaust View Post
    Haters gunna hate but they honestly know that for every WoW player that leaves 1 - ?? new players joins WoW
    I don’t know where to begin pointing out how self-evidently wrong this statement is.

They managed to keep it fresh in WotLK with the addition of hardmodes, a bit of a shuffle with the stats and stuff like that, even if it was to easy. I don't see how a game just becomes too old between 6 and 7 years.

I mean it's not the engine or the graphics people have a problem with. We're not even doing the new heroics because the troll instances from vanilla and TBC gives more valor points, and the remaking of the world was more like a slight update. The only good thing about Cataclysm is how raids now truly can be interactive and hard because of advanced mechanics instead of just making 25 people do the right thing, but the raids are so few and now too small for the PvE to be any good. It's really just Blizzard's slacking/milking and nothing else that cause the massive amount of subscribers to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Heck, Everquest is old and it just had its 18th expansion.
    Ultima Online is old... 14 years old... and still going. That's ancient for an MMO. WoW is young compared to that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Injin View Post
    They've just fluffed the FL patch and made half a hash of the expansion in general. They made the mistake of listening to the elitist knobjockeys and tuned the game beyond the average players ability. Thankfully that phase seems to be over and with a bit of luck it'll never be seen again.

Blizzard are probably the best games company in the world when it comes to learning from mistakes, they'll turn it around.

Game isn't old. It's at heart an RPG for christsakes, they don't get old if they are made right. Go and dig out a FF7 or Morrowind if you don't believe me.
    Lololol, no. Game is still easy. Don't think that just because maybe you are bad.

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeastRivin View Post
    No, players convinced themselves that. Blizzard was always up-front about the five-man intention of Cataclysm's world bosses.
    You mean the same "world bosses" that use to drop 20g and a random blue item, obviously you did not play in vanilla and know what a world boss is, those elite mobs you refer to as world bosses are nothing but elite mobs that been scaled up abit and given 1-2 abilites.

Deleted
    I started playing in TBC. The game was brand new and captivating. Every raid felt utterly epic.

Wrath led me to be a mad companion/mount collector. Also, alts were all the rage. Ulduar was great. I quit playing four times in that expantion because raids were stale compared to TBC.

Cata, I think is actually slightly more fun, but I didn't start playing again until Feb. I haven't quit like I did in Wrath, but I play far less overall due to having no desire to spend time on my max level alts. There aren't really enough dailies with large grinds for mounts/pets like the Argent Tournament. Instead, we have smaller grinds for only a couple (Tol Barad, super failed Molten Front). I didn't enjoy Argent Tourny that much, but the rewards were far more enticing than the crap we have now for me to log in each day.

Most of the game is old to me because I can't bring myself to log outside raiding. They should have added mounts to the Molten Front or something to keep us doing dailies - that is the only way I would do more in game. The raids are to me a bit more fun since we can clear them in two nights (or 6/7 hard modes in like 2 hours now).

Mist of Pandaria appears to offer a lot of fresh ideas to the game, iff (if and only if) they actually can implement said concepts.

Quote Originally Posted by bcbully View Post
    I think saying WoW is old is the ultimate condemnation. You don't come back from old..

I personally don't think WoW just is old. I think development stopped innovating, and made some bad choices.
    To be clear, Blizzard RARELY innovates. They take mechanics that worked elsewhere, and use them in their games. Not a bad thing. The few times I'd actually feel they innovated had more to do with business practices and not actual gameplay mechanics.

Second, Yes, its old. But thats not it, its not even developers not innovating. Its developers not DEVELOPING.

Not only is Blizzard transparent about milking the cash cow for as much as its worth, they've stopped feeding her.

The moment you add sub fees to a game, you *need* to add substantial content at a regular pace so that when the sub fees add up to the price of a new retail game (or two) the players can see they GOT something for that price.

If *anyone* thinks the problem is 'WoW is old', compare the budgets of a new AAA MMO with WoW's income for a month. WoW could be king indefinitely with major surgery every year or two instead of "Juan's Emporium of Discount Facelifts".

WoW's development team is missing ambition, passion and creativity about the game. They just try to maintain profit, nothing else matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    To be clear, Blizzard RARELY innovates. They take mechanics that worked elsewhere, and use them in their games. Not a bad thing. The few times I'd actually feel they innovated had more to do with business practices and not actual gameplay mechanics.

Second, Yes, its old. But thats not it, its not even developers not innovating. Its developers not DEVELOPING.

Not only is Blizzard transparent about milking the cash cow for as much as its worth, they've stopped feeding her.

The moment you add sub fees to a game, you *need* to add substantial content at a regular pace so that when the sub fees add up to the price of a new retail game (or two)t. the players can see they GOT something for that price.

If *anyone* thinks the problem is 'WoW is old', compare the budgets of a new AAA MMO with WoW's income for a month. WoW could be king indefinitely with major surgery every year or two instead of "Juan's Emporium of Discount Facelifts".
    exactly, ty for the post.