Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Why does the "omg new foilage!" thing seem new to people?

Draw distances(and ground clutter/foilage density) have been a setting in various games for years
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    Most of the options that make the heaviest graphical difference actually run off your CPU now. Granted, one can't really overcome the shortcomings of the other, so no matter how good your CPU, there are a lot of things your GPU still has to handle. Without knowing your specs, I'd have to ask which settings you feel you may need to max more before I could honestly suggest where your best money would be spent.
    Have i5 CPU 760 @ 2.80GHz, 8GB DDR3 and... nvidia8600GT...

i'm considering either XFX Radeon HD6870 or geforce GTX560

Ha the low graphics look like WoW.

The high graphics are great. Not amazing (that close up grass is kinda undetailed) but the best I've seen for an mmo. It is probably the best that can be expected for an mmo that is availiable to a wide audience.

Thanks for the pictures, hopefully it will silence some of the more complaining SWTOR haters.

Quote Originally Posted by RevanSparda View Post
    Have i5 CPU 760 @ 2.80GHz, 8GB DDR3 and... nvidia8600GT...

i'm considering either XFX Radeon HD6870 or geforce GTX560
    Yea, the GPU is definitely your bottleneck then. If you don't want to spring for a 560 the 400 series is still quite a ways ahead of the 8600. I've forsworn Radeon for a while now, though they're starting to regain ground on nVidia. They still play nicer with OpenGL than they do with DirectX though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just went through and forced AA for TOR on my gpu, I'm very excited to see if I notice that much difference between last weekends and this coming weekend!
    Last edited by Shamburger; 2011-11-22 at 06:24 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Rift had some really nice landscapes but TOR's are better. And Tatooine ... you guys just won't believe how awesome it looks. Simply awesome. 'Course, I'm a fan of arid, dry zones. It's why I'm married.

BAZINGA
    SCUM AND VILLAINY
    You will never find a more wretched hive...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ancestorTOR View Post
    Rift had some really nice landscapes but TOR's are better. And Tatooine ... you guys just won't believe how awesome it looks. Simply awesome. 'Course, I'm a fan of arid, dry zones. It's why I'm married.

BAZINGA
    You sir are responsible for lol's.

Hoping its more CPU heavy than GPU heavy on max as my CPU's currently quite a bit better than my graphics card.

Dammit, I need to keep working on building my new pc now. My fiance will send hate mail to whoever made this thread.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddlesnarf View Post
    I'm slightly worried I won't be able to play the game on max settings, in WoW I would get a FPS drop when I gave everything shadows. I can play Skyrim on max everything and have perfect FPS, but of course MMOs are a different animal.
    I had the same issues with WoW on max settings even with a good rig. As a rule of thumb, shadows are always the first setting that I reduce along with AA.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    You sir are responsible for lol's.

Hoping its more CPU heavy than GPU heavy on max as my CPU's currently quite a bit better than my graphics card.
    You should be able to run medium to high settings with a 1gb card. I'm currently running an nVidia GTS 450 on medium/high settings and it's performing like a champ. The only thing I have to adjust down are shadows. My card hates shadows.
    SCUM AND VILLAINY
    You will never find a more wretched hive...

Deleted
    I actually bought a GTX 560 Ti last week just for this. It's probably an overkill, but what the heck

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ancestorTOR View Post
    You should be able to run medium to high settings with a 1gb card. I'm currently running an nVidia GTS 450 on medium/high settings and it's performing like a champ. The only thing I have to adjust down are shadows. My card hates shadows.
    Yeah i've got a 1gb card and likewise with the shadows, can put everything else to max if I drop the shadows down 1 setting on most games.

Anyone got much to say about the weather effects, if there are any, in game? I know places like Hoth will obviously have snow but really hoping for even a basic rain cycle on the other maps. Something on a GTA4 level would be perfect for me, nothing amazing but gets the job done for immersion basically.

I wouldn't start buying new graphics cards just yet, try and tweak the settings when its released.

I had a crap graphics card and I managed to play WoW on pretty much high details, just disabled water/shadows, reduced foliage and particle density etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    And this is why I do not care about graphics. A noticeable difference, but nothing that is going to change the way the game plays. I really do not care if I have grass. I see grass all the time IRL, trees and shadows too.

Graphics stopped mattering to me after PS2/xbox. All I played was WoW for years and that says it all.
    I like sandwiches