Question Computer randomly crashing

Not sure what's up with my computer. Certainly seems hardware based as I'm unable to pull any logs from event viewer. All I get is unexpected shutdown errors. Basically my computer will just start shutting down for no apparent reason. I'll be sitting there playing a game or something and it will start crashing. My audio goes as well as my internet and windows functionality stops working as well. Everything starts freezing up bit by bit until eventually I'm just staring at my screen and unable to do anything about it. This will happen even when I'm not there as well and it doesn't seem to be dependent on anything in particular(nothing that I've found anyways). Also, after crashing it will not boot right back up again, it just goes to a black screen with...(insert half an hour of google trying to find the message). Well I can't think of it atm, it's just 2 little lines of text in the top left corner.

I'm 99% sure this comes up after it POST's but I usually just force the shut down myself when I notice it's crashing as it can take a while to complete shut down on it's own. When I do see that screen there(on the occasional morning or sometimes when I get home from work) I just do a cold reboot and I'm back up and running again with no noticeable problems. The crashes are seemingly very random. Sometimes it will be a week that goes by with no problems, other times it will crush multiple times in a day.

I'll post the exact error message next time I see it. Right now I'm just looking for somewhere to start really. Is this something any of you have seen before? Is there a possibility of it being a software issue? I'm just going with hardware as it seems like the motherboard is shutting down bit by bit. I'm really hoping that isn't the case as it would be a big pain to have to replace.

Any ideas/suggestions on where to start with this? O and I'm running windows 7 btw. I can get a full hardware breakdown when I get home as well if that will help.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, actually if you are able to post a dxdiag log without posting any personal information within the log file it produces, it could help out.

2 things to start with. have you got an SSD & a Asus Mainboard?

I had this problem with OCZ SSD & Asus P8P67.
    In my case flashing the board bios did'nt help mutch.
    But flashing the SSD firmware solved the problems.
    (I had the SSD as primary boot disk, with the swapfile on there) everytime it failed to respond I got a blue screen, and no logs because it was the drive.

So if you have anything you might check that first

Quote Originally Posted by Quokka View Post
    2 things to start with. have you got an SSD & a Asus Mainboard?

I had this problem with OCZ SSD & Asus P8P67.
    In my case flashing the board bios did'nt help mutch.
    But flashing the SSD firmware solved the problems.
    (I had the SSD as primary boot disk, with the swapfile on there) everytime it failed to respond I got a blue screen, and no logs because it was the drive.

So if you have anything you might check that first
    Yes to the OCZ SSD and probably to the Asus Motherboard. I'll have to doublecheck when I get home and look into flashing the SSD as well.

And ya, I'll toss up hardware info too, try to get it up before my raid.

---------- Post added 2011-11-22 at 10:20 PM ----------

Think this should be about all the relevant info. Let me know if you need more.

Bah, stupid thing won't let me post, says I'm trying to post links which I'm not allowed to do as a new poster. Just going to leave this without versions I guess, if you need them let me know.

Damn it all I'll just type it!

Code:
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1
    ASUS P5Q-E
    Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8400 3GHz
    6gigs of RAM
    OCZ-Agility3 SSD
    Radeon HD 4800

I haven't had time to flash the SSD yet, probably try that tomorrow and see what happens.