Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    People keep saying there's no LFD but this just isn't true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Booniehat View Post
    ^This. I've been in a couple PUGs and, looking at trade chat, seen this happen a lot. I think people do tend to reflect with nostalgia on pre-LFD times. Forming a group for a trivial dungeon? Nobody wants to do it anyway. Forming a group for a hardcore dungeon? Your gear isn't good enough. Granted, this is a pessimistic POV, but still it happened. Hence LFD.
    Hence the LFG channel and group flagging. Believe it or not, this system worked very well for me. I had infinitely better groups when they were server based.

---------- Post added 2011-11-22 at 02:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by HydraTOR View Post
    It is not 100% mindless like LFD, so it obviously is not the same

I so can't wait for guild and character names to matter again!
    Last edited by Roose; 2011-11-22 at 08:10 PM.
    I like sandwiches

Deleted
    I remember the golden Vanilla days of WoW, where you could actually make friends doing dungeons.

With a LFD tool, you're likely to NEVER see the person or speak to them again after the last boss bites the dust. This means alot of people tend to act like douchebags, and it also means that when you - against all odds - actually liked a member of the group, you'll most likely have forgotten about them when the next dungeon pops up. However, when you have to form pugs yourself, you'll start to think about how people perceive you because, as those people are likely the same (gear-)level as you are, there's a fairly large chance you'll end up in a group again.

It also encourages guild play, and playing with friends.

No LFD for me, thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    Hence the LFG channel and group flagging. Believe it or not, this system worked very well for me. I had infinitely better groups when they were server based.

---------- Post added 2011-11-22 at 02:08 PM ----------

It is not 100% mindless like LFD, so it obviously is not the same
    Yes. People actually have to communicate and get along with each other. lol

Quote Originally Posted by HydraTOR View Post
    What's the SWTOR equivalent?

Man, some of you must have had really sour experiences in LFD on WoW to hate on it so much. It caters to the casual, and lets be honest, dungeons are for casuals. The LFD system goes hand in hand with dungeons. I think this will really hurt SWTOR.
    Master of Things to DO

Quote Originally Posted by Gerendfs View Post
    (and yes, that hour applied to before LFD was introduced as well, at least on my server)
    I know off topic, but you are correct. That is why I never understood the DPS hating on the LFD tool and wait times. When my wife and I were DPS before LFD we never got runs on week nights if guildies were busy, and could spend an hour in /2 looking for a group.

She finally rolled heals and I rolled tank, which we are both glad as those were the roles that we like the most now

Back on topic, it will come. Rift gave in to the pressure, and yes it had a negative impact on the community like it did in WoW. I hope it never comes, but when it does (and it will) I hope it will be on the server only.
    Last edited by davesurfer; 2011-11-22 at 08:16 PM.
    "Peace is a lie"

I've always said that if Bioware ever feels they need to add an automated /LFD system then they will. But I really don't see why people are so against trying the game without one.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CHNurf View Post
    I remember the golden Vanilla days of WoW, where you could actually make friends doing dungeons.
    Not only that, you actually got noticed. I was an under geared holy priest that got in to a group of a few guildies. After saving the group from some pretty intense situations, we finished and parted ways. A few days later I got a whisper from their GM and was brought in as a healer. I was under geared, but did well enough that they wanted me on their team. That was how I got in to my first raiding guild.

I can't tell you a thing about one single person that I have run a dungeon with that wasn't in my guild since they added the LFD. I hope to God that it never gets added.

10+ Year Old Account
    Flag yourself as looking for group. Watch for groups. Use your guild and friends for the love of god!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, believe it or not, you can make a lot of in-game friends with the lack of LFD! It is a better experience! I am super lazy and I can do it, so can you!
    I like sandwiches

You can see a list of other people looking for dungeons on your server but it doesn't automaticaly group you and transport you.

Can't speak for others, but I for one would like to never see a LFD in TOR.

I do remember in Wrath how gear became an issue, but with the way Blizz allowed you to get epic gear so quickly with Justice and Valor points that became a moot point. But the reputation issue could be immense.

Blacklisting pricks and a$$holes doesn't bother me.

Blacklisting players who are busting their butts but having a bad day, that does bother me. But I'm more forgiving than some, in that if you're having a bad day, I'm willing to work with you to get to a better day. Even if we have to wait until tomorrow for tempers to cool down.

And worst case scenario, and maybe best in long run is doing dungeons/raids/operations/whatever as a guild.

Frankly I really started to sour on WoW because of LFD in Cata. The boors, the a$$es, those who feel entitled to special treatment because of whatever reason got real old, real fast. I wouldn't have done dungeons in Cata if it weren't for the fact that I wanted the gear to raid. As it sits now in WoW I don't raid because raiding lost it's luster.

Quote Originally Posted by davesurfer View Post
    I know off topic, but you are correct. That is why I never understood the DPS hating on the LFD tool and wait times. When my wife and I were DPS before LFD we never got runs on week nights if guildies were busy, and could spend an hour in /2 looking for a group.

She finally rolled heals and I rolled tank, which we are both glad as those were the roles that we like the most now

Back on topic, it will come. Rift gave in to the pressure, and yes it had a negative impact on the community like it did in WoW. I hope it never cokmes, but when it does (and it will) I hope it will be on the server only.
    Actually, I notice I truely enjoyed LFD in RIFT. Maybe its cos it was a new game, but people were forgiving of wipes, and we actually chatted as we ran through the dungeons. (Did quite a ton of LFD).

I also noticed LFD was fun in WOTLK content. This could be because it was much easier, making people less crabby and stressed. In Cata (usually heroics/Zandoms), is where people really start to get picky on mistakes, act stupid, and so on.

It'll probably be the same situation WoW was in for, oh, 3 and a half years. Meaning, absolutely fine.

People like to forget all that time before 3.3.0 where things were fine. All of Vanilla, all of BC, and just over half of WotLK and no one really complained about it or thought about an LFD tool until Blizz came out and said "Hey, look at this thing we made!" Hell, people say vanilla and BC were the best points in WoW's existence.

And even after thay implemented it there was way more backlash than there were thanks--people complaining about healer and tank queues, complaints about tanks holding groups hostage, complaints about there being too many kicks, then complaints about there being too few kicks, complaints about healers and tanks not getting rewards, complaints about DPS not getting the same access to rewards as healers and tanks, complaints about bad groups that wipe to everything, complaints about good elitist groups that kick non-pros, etc etc.
    Last edited by Tore; 2011-11-22 at 08:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No LFD means more World PvP, yes please!

Look at what happened when WoW put in LFD... world pvp practically ceased to exist on some servers, on the ones where it still happens it's nothing compared to the amount that use to happen, and the community turned to shit... that's reason enough for no LFD to be a good thing.

I've made a lot of good friends in WoW before LFD was implimented - now that LFD is there, I've not made a single friend in a random... no one talks, hardly ever get people from my server. It will most likely happen the same way in Swtor.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2011-11-22 at 08:21 PM.

I did a couple runs on last weekend via the general chat for Black Talon and Esseles. Didn't take long (grantedly, being a Tank gives me some priority), and since the instances are spread out, you head out to the one you wanna run, it's a full base of community too (Banks, AHs, trainers, etc) on the Imperial/Republic Fleet bases where the Flashpoints connect from. Head to your choice one, ask in General, cause majority of people there are there for the same reason.

Of course, you also got friends/guilds (btw: Guilds require only 4 people to form in SWTOR), to ease up that burden, and Companions too. Which, btw, for anyone just gonna play this weekend for the first time, the Esseles (Republic) and Black Talon (Imperial) Flashpoints for Level 10, were just rebalanced for 2 players instead of 4 (on Normal)... so you and a friend, with a couple companions will be able to handle it now (whereas last weekend, they sure weren't).

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    Flag yourself as looking for group. Watch for groups. Use your guild and friends for the love of god!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, believe it or not, you can make a lot of in-game friends with the lack of LFD! It is a better experience! I am super lazy and I can do it, so can you!
    LOL. Hey! just to clarify, I'm not saying I can't manage without one! I was asking what it could end up like without one. My WOW guild, who are all hardcore raiders, tend to just go on "speed runs" within themselves. They only bring me if they are missing a member. So as a casual, I've really only got LFD in wow to fall back on.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like finding a group on your server won't be so hard since you don't have to find as much people to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    No LFD means more World PvP, yes please!

Look at what happened when WoW put in LFD... world pvp practically ceased to exist on some servers, on the ones where it still happens it's nothing compared to the amount that use to happen, and the community turned to shit... that's reason enough for no LFD to be a good thing.
    World PVP is gonna be covered plenty with a few things: Outsider's Den on Tatooine, the whole planet Ilum... and plenty more coming likely. Much to do in the outside world for PvP, even on PvE servers.

Actually, I notice I truely enjoyed LFD in RIFT. Maybe its cos it was a new game, but people were forgiving of wipes, and we actually chatted as we ran through the dungeons. (Did quite a ton of LFD).

I also noticed LFD was fun in WOTLK content. This could be because it was much easier, making people less crabby and stressed. In Cata (usually heroics/Zandoms), is where people really start to get picky on mistakes, act stupid, and so on.
    I saw a lot more ninjaing and people using some external DPS meter to rag on others. As a tank that was trying to gear up, it was frustrating having gear ninja'd and having to DPS rail on each other. Didn't see this as wide spread in Rift until LFD

As for LK, I also saw a ton more ninjaing, but you are right on the hate going around. I think LFD came at the point where heroics were "gather all mobs up in the instance and AE it down"
    "Peace is a lie"