Thread: Ragnarok Online

10+ Year Old Account

Ragnarok Online

Now, who remembers THAT nostalgic grindfest?

Ragnarok Online was one of the first MMO's I ever played - and I mean I PLAYED that sucker. From Alpha to Beta, to years of monthly premiums until I finally said farewell about five years back. I mean, this thing is STILL around. Sure it's been supported on last legs and f2p item shop mentalities in the US for the last three or so, but it still has a diehard fanbase outside of Korea. It has survived massive amounts of private servers, and even kept from being outdated because of its 2D pixelated artstyle and basic 3D backgrounds.

I could never go back, I'm so spoiled with all these MMOs and their quest leveling systems (I understand RO has begun to slowly input questing but it's still a grindfest). I still like checking up on it, and listening to that old music of when I'd sneak into Lutie past high-level bears on my lowbie. Camping the big blue Lunatic for my Cute Ribbon (which I adored).

Being completely confused when I first was taught that Archers didn't use Strength for damage (how old was I, 14 back then?), but Dexterity. Being told to reroll, sticking to it, and being the worst Hunter in iRO existence. Rerolling as a Priest and being completely invulnerable in War of the Emperium. Sitting South of Prontera for hours, using it as a fancy chatroom while I did my homework and studied for tests.

My nostalgia is my own private cautionary tale, whenever I get wistful for Al de Baran, I remember "only 1000 Porings for a level"! Oh man, oh man. Fond memories anyone? Or glad you left it behind?

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    There are days I'm so glad I finally managed to pull myself away from RO, but I sure as hell miss it. I've tried going back a couple of times, but after losing all the exp on my level 96 scholar dicking around the pain kicked back in so I ran away again. I miss the people, though.

Did you see MVPs drop gravestones as of today when they die? Giving the exact time of death and who killed them? Yeah, glad I left the years ago that I did. That would have suuuucked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omino View Post
    There are days I'm so glad I finally managed to pull myself away from RO, but I sure as hell miss it. I've tried going back a couple of times, but after losing all the exp on my level 96 scholar dicking around the pain kicked back in so I ran away again. I miss the people, though.

Did you see MVPs drop gravestones as of today when they die? Giving the exact time of death and who killed them? Yeah, glad I left the years ago that I did. That would have suuuucked.
    Oh MAN I completely forgot that if you died you lost 1% of your lexp and jexp! Christ and it took like a million those zombies to get ONE PERCENT OF YOUR LEVEL. Big "Turning 99 Parties", and then starting all over when you Ascended XD! I had a friend who ragequit the game at 98 because he had some really bad luck and just KEPT DYING. He couldn't gain any EXP haha.

Dude that WOULD suck, tons of PMs to buy stuff from you or Hatemail ...

I was a private server player, but my comment on it would still apply to officials.

It's a really awesome game, and I loved it a lot. The fact that its netcode and engine are SO SHITTY made me move on to more stable games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah
    There really isn't much to say about SC2, it's not a very complex game. Three races that never change and that's it, end of story.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hah, yeah. 99ing parties were all kids of awesome! Most of my current wow guild I actually met through RO and we've all stuck together. My GM managed to 99 his Sinx in Pront, it was pretty epic.

And yeah, I hadn't actually considered that part of it. Screw that, there'd be no secret "I wonder whos camping GTB?" "I wonder who these days has a GTB buckler?" and needing to learn the hard way. Fun times.

I loved that game, but I couldn't get back into it after my friends and I left the first time.

High Wizard with 95 dex 95 int 40 vit, Frilldora card + Ice Wall + Safety Wall = best times in PvP.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

i loved that game so much, though i didnt see all the new stuff, but it was such a big part of my life back then, i miss it

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    High Wizard with 95 dex 95 int 40 vit, Frilldora card + Ice Wall + Safety Wall = best times in PvP.
    My Hindsight scholar was the most fun I think I've ever had playing an mmo. 99 int/99 agi. Man, that shit was imba and painfully fun. People were surprisingly scared of me in WoE. Despite the fact that when a hit actually did land on me I tore in half like a piece of paper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does anyone remember before the Second Classes when GH Graveyard Cross was THE place to level a baby healer? And Crit Sins? HOW ABOUT BATTLE WIZARDS? Did anyone get to see those Wizards who specced into STR and VIT and only used slowing and incapacitating spells to kill mobs? When ANYONE could be a tank as long as they got the first hit and had enough healers? The days before Monks and we had Battle Priests!!!! Smack things with books. Win game!

3x weekend on bathory on my blacksmith, those were the days haha