10+ Year Old Account

Self building my first desktop, run it through for me please!

I'm not very knowledgeable about hardware, I used to keep up with things awhile back (up to about 6 years ago) but haven't really bothered since college. I spent the past several days just trying to see what's currently out there. Here is my wishlist on newegg:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=22380767

I've been using laptops all through college, and since I'm beginning to settle down in the US, I think now may be a time to have a desktop. I used to play games, but since I found WoW, it's taken up most of my gaming time. However, once in awhile (like now) when I don't play WoW as much until 4.3 I tend to pick up some new games. All my life I've always thought that 30 fps is awesome framerate (I know >.>), and I'm so used to it that I never thought that it could be so much better.

Then again, I play a ret paladin as my main, but that's another story.

Most of the time, on a scale to 1-100% with 100 being every setting maxed out, I play at 70% with 30fps or so and was happy.

I'm currently studying Information Systems (a mix between computer science programming and business), if that helps you help me. I don't do graphics design or anything as intensive. So games are really the only pushing factor for my choices.

I know the GTX 570 is a bit overkill, but I'm not willing to skimp on that. I feel like the graphics card is the limiting factor for gaming (of course, not being bottlenecked by the processor and vice versa is important too). I may be willing to bump down $100 for a 560 Ti but I have the budget for it, so why not? Same goes for processor. I'd like it to last 3 years minimum (no problem I think) and hopefully go beyond 5 years.

What I don't need:

- SLIs
    - Overclocking
    - SSDs (yet)
    - Multiple monitors

I have a 22" monitor at 1920x1080p. For comparison, my current laptop that I am using:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 580 @ 2.67GHz (Dual-core)
    6GB RAM
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650

Currently play WoW on High settings - one notch below Ultra (2x AA) at 30fps in SW and 50+ in 10-mans. Crysis 1 on Med-High settings (also 2x AA). Crysis 2 on low settings (*sob*). What can I save some money on in my list? Are there overkills?
    Last edited by Fhi; 2011-11-23 at 02:59 AM.

I would highly recommend an i5 2500k or an i7 2600k over any AMD processor currently available. AMD is just lagging behind in general in the CPU market. If you do end up going with the i5 or i7, get the ASUS p8p67 mobo. Otherwise, stick with the ASUS mobo you have.

You forgot a CPU cooler. You really can't go wrong with the Hyper 212 plus - runs my i7 2600k at 30c idle, max 40c in WoW.

Your RAM is slow. You should go for 1600, or at least 1333, not 1066. If price is an issue, cut back to 4GB. You really don't need 8 unless you do a lot of intensive computing.

You may want to upgrade the PSU to 750 watts to future proof the system, or at least allow you to reuse it down the road if you need more power instead of having to buy a new one.
    Author of TellMeWhen and many other useful and helpful addons such as SpeedyLoad.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybeloras View Post
    I would highly recommend an i5 2500k or an i7 2600k over any AMD processor currently available. AMD is just lagging behind in general in the CPU market. If you do end up going with the i5 or i7, get the ASUS p8p67 mobo. Otherwise, stick with the ASUS mobo you have.

You forgot a CPU cooler. You really can't go wrong with the Hyper 212 plus - runs my i7 2600k at 30c idle, max 40c in WoW.

Your RAM is slow. You should go for 1600, or at least 1333, not 1066. If price is an issue, cut back to 4GB. You really don't need 8 unless you do a lot of intensive computing.

You may want to upgrade the PSU to 750 watts to future proof the system, or at least allow you to reuse it down the road if you need more power instead of having to buy a new one.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tem=20-231-416 only $3 more for the 1600 8GB

I would also recommend going the i5-2500k, but ASUS p8Z68-V Pro Gen 3 mobo if it is in your budget http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tem=13-131-790

Of course, this is all adding cost to your rig. To drop the price http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139020 $5 cheaper PSU, loses being modular. Cheaper case, cases are mostly aesthetic. Video card could be cheaper. Those are really the only three places I can see where you can trim the cost of the build
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

Deleted
    Get a i5-2500k (Or i7-2600k if you do ALOT of video editing and/or graphic design) aswell as either a Z68 or P67 motherboard. I like Gigabyte, don't ask me why.

Aswell as for graphic cards I think you should go for the MSI Twin Frozr ll version of the 570. Best cooling solution out there.

The RAM is quite slow get atleast 1600Hz, I recommend the Corsair Vengeances.

And for PSU you should get either Corsair or Seasonic, they're really good quality ones, If you don't like lots of cables I would go for modular. 650W is fine.
    He said he didn't want to overclock the CPU so the stock one is more then enough.

Bad advice through and through.
    The i5-2500K and i7-2600K are way overkill for any person not wanting to overclock.
    The CPU-cooler is not needed.
    1066 MHz of RAM is fine. 1333 MHz is fine, 1600 MHz is wasted.

750w is so much overkill it's borderline stupidity for anyone explicitly not wanting to SLI.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcilux View Post
    I would also recommend going the i5-2500k, but ASUS p8Z68-V Pro Gen 3 mobo if it is in your budget http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tem=13-131-790
    Overpriced.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128506 149.99US$ is the most one would need to spend on a motherboard if you're not into the extremes. And heck. That's probably even too much for someone not wanting to overclock.
    This http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130579 is a good choice as well (84.99), coupled with an i5-2300 (179.99).

Deleted
    you don't want to overclock but yet you choose a Black Edition AMD CPU which is unlocked i think, correct me if i'm wrong ;D anyway even if you don't want to overclock i still think you should go for an i5 2500k, maybe you'll change your mind and want to overclock you'd get a performance improvement, atm i use a e5500 dual core intel processor it was at 2,8GHz i lagged with lowest graphics + lowest resolution but then i overclocked it to 3.2GHz and now i can run full ultra in 10mans and high/ultra with shadows, sunshaft and that 16x thingy to lowest and i get a decent amount of fps so overclocking is a huge improvement and would also future proof you for other games that might be released with intense need of a good CPU. just my cents but it's really up to you.

Don't cut ure CPU budget to much if you want a mid/high end GPU.

You will see lots of setups with:

2600k/2700k + GTX 570/580 + 16GB DDR3 1333 RAM
    + PSU 500-600W, forget NoName brands, get a good one -> Gold efficiency

I would not skip the SSD upgrade or it will be the bottle neck of your system.
    Get a small one (120-240 GB) for your OS + Games and HDD's for anything else.

Done! You got a very performant WoW PC, with enough RAM for the soon be released WoW64bit mode and short loading times (SSD).

10+ Year Old Account
    It does seem like a no contest, that the 2500k just smokes any AMD processor currently, so I grit my teeth and added that (and a P67 motherboard). I will (learn to) overclock it slightly though, you're right, it's dumb to spend that much on CPU that's meant to be overclocked and ... not overclock it. Plus even if I don't, in the future I have the option to change my mind. I'll hold off on an extra cooler for now though, will see if the case fans are good enough.

I'm not sure why I chose the 1066, I mean to pick the 1333 RAMs hehe.

It's $200 extra than what I'd like but I guess the initial investment is the one that sucks the most.

Why not ssd? I don't have one, but with next major investment in my pc that is probably on top of my list, as everyone I know who got ssd said it boosts pc just incredibly, and to be honest, it's not that expensive, you don't need too big one don't you, just to have windows and wow on it.