Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Grugmuc View Post
    Wow. Reading that article just gave me another "stupid" headache. He's nitpicking over something that isn't even out yet. I don't care if it's from a PvP or PvE standpoint, the game STILL ISN'T OUT YET. Give ArenaNet some time, play the game for a year or so, then freaking complain about it!
    This is really unfair to the linked post in the OP.

Not that you have to agree with him, but that post was well written and analytical. Almost nothing was a complaint but an examination of what he felt were design flaws.

Which are completely fair and concerns drawn from what is known of the game.

Some of that might bear out as, "not a big deal" come launch. But to denigrate thoughtful and well reasoned posts as the one linked- whether we agree or not, is pretty shameful.

it sounds hard to believe his so called flaws to be well reasoned or even thoughful when among others :
    -he complains about skills monotony while the action is quite fast paced, and most professions get to either weapon swap or have a mechanic that changes those first 5 skills, not to mention we still get to choose what the last 5 are.
    -he states anet "consolidates" the holy trinity, even though we all know there will be no proper tanking as no one will be able to sustain continuously being hit even with proper use of dodging, and as for healing, your best bet would be to use your own self healing ability as it'll go so much faster than expect being healed from 1 to 100% by someone else in a matter of seconds.
    -complaining about controls/aiming being hard to master (vids obviously showing it's no hard to learn) as a game flaw is just insane. nothing much to add
    etc

here i wasted 5 more minutes than i expected

there are little to no complaints in that post and he is speaking on the elements of design validly and fairly. he isn't bashing the game either.

those are some concerns, or flaws as he puts, about upcoming gw2 design. okay, fair enough. we'll all see how it works out in the end.

disagreeing is one thing. but it is grossly unfair and rightfully shameful to suggest the linked post was drivel. and most importantly, lowers the quality of thought around video games.

hardly as though the author said, "gw2 is gonna suck lolz" and posted a cat.gif. yeesh.

Well it is fairly well written, I agree. I do think a lot of what he says are just his opinion and not really flaws of the game. They are flaws to him. About the only thing I might agree with him is about the Elite skills.

he probably should have named it "concerns i have". much more accurate. XD

I would agree with that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by carebear View Post
    I think most of it is a bit pants, tbh.

"#5 – You Fight the Controls" - I for one think that's a load of crap.
    Yeah, I feel like some of those "flaws" are tad nitpicky, but there are a few that if true, would really suck. But I have hopes arena net will fix most of these issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only flaw i can see is that it isn't out yet! I also did see the piece as more geared towards pvp so it doesn't really concern me all that much.

10+ Year Old Account
    The game isn't in the Beta thus I won't even bother reading flaws when no one except a handful has even played it.
    >>This is where I'd put a witty quote for my Signature<<
    IF I HAD ONE

Deleted
    #1 – Monotonous Skill Design

i noticed that too, but it makes it easier to balance this way
    i guess

Deleted
    Didn't get much out of it. Obviously geared towards competitive pvp, which I don't much care about. And many of those his points were merely design choices the author doesn't agree with.

Still, quite well written and he does explain his points clearly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkkitehti View Post
    Didn't get much out of it. Obviously geared towards competitive pvp, which I don't much care about. And many of those his points were merely design choices the author doesn't agree with.

Still, quite well written and he does explain his points clearly.
    Yeah, by no means is this guy an idiot, he states his concerns really well. However, some of the things he considers are "flaws" are very subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    Yeah, by no means is this guy an idiot, he states his concerns really well. However, some of the things he considers are "flaws" are very subjective.
    op-ed often is so.

objective flaws, at least within games, are typically loopholes or bugs honestly. otherwise, we all are merely giving opinions.

His mention on Elite skills can definitely be a problem, of course. The "Sweet Spot" that people want them in will vary from person to person, but I'm in agreement that they should not be something that result in something as linear as he stated: "1. My opponent activates their Elite skill: I run away, use my own Elite, or die. 2. I activate my Elite skill: My opponent runs away, activates their Elite, or dies."

"Illegible Combat" can also be a problem, no doubt, but I do not think it should be taken as such a huge flaw. It should definitely be brought into consideration by ArenaNet, and I'm pretty sure it is, but there is no way they are going to ship a game whose combat is nothing but a light show - I have enough faith in ArenaNet for that not to happen.

However, his overall reason behind this post appears to be from the perspective of a Guild Wars 1 player.
    From this, you can see that some of his flaws are items that are missing from Guild Wars 1: #'s 10, 9, 7 (The large amount of skills available in GW1, obviously), and 5 (to and extent). In other words, they are subjective.
    ANYWAY, the point I am trying to get to: The game is different, I understand, but to point these out as flaws because it is not the same game as Guild Wars 1? Calling skills monotonous because not every ability can have 5 effects strapped to it is disgusting.
    I have been seeing some of this same thought pattern on the side of SWG & SW:TOR. I can understand these complaints, as SWG is being shut down (Or whatever is going on, Im not 100% on page with SWG), but nothing is happening to GW1. I could be wrong, and correct me if I am, but GW1 isn't going anywhere. Why, then, do people want to change the completely different game of GW2 to GW1?

I also have problems with the logic behind some of his flaws, namely 10, 5, and 4, but that doesn't matter as much.

Of course, most of that complaint is in regards to the reasoning and not the actual list - the list is definitely well put together - and I welcome criticism, as should everyone because it makes a game better. I just, as stated, don't understand his reasoning.

The game name should be changed to something unique, in my opinion, as it has more benefits than its current name. Well, are there any benefits on its current name?

KAY IM DONE(;

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    So then you have a game that was designed by that poster. And you'll have other people who sees flaws in that design, so you fix it again. It's a never ending process. Just settle with a design choice and stick with it, you'll never be able to please everybody. Most everything in that list was a personal preference on the design choices of the game. There are some good points in some of the stuff he was talking about but most of that article was basically on what he would like to see in his own game.

Really what he wanted, as it sounds like to me, was just an upgraded version of Guild Wars.
    Yeah, but he had to do it in such a long winded post. :P

Like some said before, they're either trolls or got paid by someone to push the story.

"Top 10 Flaws of Guild Wars 2"-

He complains about ui, customization and health frame while it's said countless times the ui, chat, hp, and almost non existent customization are still work in progress.

He complains about controls, having personal choices in builds, targeting and many other things while having 0 credibility nor idea what he's talking about. Makes me wonder what he did during his demo, if he had one at all; like he says.

"You pick from comparably viable options, or two different but equally efficient paths to victory."
    Problem having personal preference and a style to play while keeping up with others?

Conquest is the only PvP.... hello, who did he write this for, and who takes this seriously? 8 year olds?

Silly review, if you can call it that or anything close to it to begin with.
    Last edited by Lefuu; 2011-11-24 at 04:36 AM.

He talks that "to competitive gamers" and I quote "Say you’ve mastered every dimension of control and boast an actions-per-minute score in the hundreds".

This is a review by an elitist player who likes to boast his Starcraft league to anyone who will listen and his realm first kills of every right.

The simple truth is we don't care, because Guild Wars 2 never claimed to be for "competitive gamers". It's an innovative MMO made for people to have FUN (something games are usually supposed to accomplish), not to leave you stressed and take up hours of your life so you can become better at killing pixels.

Move on kid, stick with your "starcraft 2"s and your dotas and your league of legends and whatever else insane "competitive" platform there is out there, and leave fun games to people who want to have fun.

I wish people would stop taking blizzard's recent year philosophy on gaming and try to stick it in every game they go to. What, don't you have enough games to stroke your e-peen in?
    Last edited by ThisWillNotStand; 2011-11-24 at 04:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Real Top 10 Flaws:

10) its not out yet

9) its not out yet

8) its not out yet

7) its not out yet

6) its not out yet

5) its not out yet

4) its not out yet

3) its not out yet

2) its not out yet

1) and finally, one flaw that really cannot be over looked, its not out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisWillNotStand View Post
    I wish people would stop taking blizzard's recent year philosophy on gaming and try to stick it in every game they go to. What, don't you have enough games to stroke your e-peen in?
    I'm sure competitive PVP is fun for a lot of people. Something the first Guild Wars offered to a fairly high degree excellence, fyi.

Some really bad posts defending GW2 aspects that don't need white knights or putting down game modes others find enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisWillNotStand View Post
    The simple truth is we don't care, because Guild Wars 2 never claimed to be for "competitive gamers".
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember ArenaNet saying that they would love for GW2 to become an esport. I wish I could find it though.

Anyone know where I got that from?