Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

[MAGE] New Mage Spell - Alter Time!

Hey Everyone.

Awesome! Finally a spell that makes the mage class feel a little bit more... magey.. a pretty cool looking ability if i do say so myself!

Alter Time
    Level 87
    Instant - 3 minute cooldown
    Alter the fabric of time, causing the caster to return to their current location, health, mana, and conditions after 4 seconds. Effect negated if the caster dies within the 4 seconds before the effect occurs.

Wow, right, looks like a lot of fun. I wonder if cooldowns will be reset as well.. such as.. cast alter time, cast presence of mind + instant something spell, say pyroblast. After alter time pops, is presence of mind cooldown returned!? looks like a pretty sweet survival tool if you ask me, real potential to fuck with an oponent now.

DISCUSS! I wanna see what ideas you folks have.

I'd guess it does reset some minor cooldowns (not Bloodlust though), but this spell is mostly when you're getting owned in PvP, you can click this, do a "FOR NARNIA! AND FOR ASLAN!" and run in, freeze everyone, and you don't even have to be afraid to die, since you can just Ice Block (I guess that cooldown resets aswell).

Quote Originally Posted by pwntus95 View Post
    I'd guess it does reset some minor cooldowns (not Bloodlust though), but this spell is mostly when you're getting owned in PvP, you can click this, do a "FOR NARNIA! AND FOR ASLAN!" and run in, freeze everyone, and you don't even have to be afraid to die, since you can just Ice Block (I guess that cooldown resets aswell).
    aw man, didnt even think of using it for stupid aggression like that lol.. ohhhh good times will be had with this i think. Tbh i was hoping for some monstrous damage spell like a mage should have, we have a lot of tools yes, but we're bound to have more utility spells than damage spells now, and that just doesnt feel right anymore xP

think of the fun in arenas and bgs. kite ranged or something up a cliff/bridge or something, alter time, jump down, launch some instants like your orb (new orbs are cool, AOE orb far arcane mages, loving the sound of that) toss out some minor cooldowns, then bam, back on the bridge, can't wait to give this a try

I dont think it will refresh minor cooldowns, by conditions im guessing it means removing any debuffs you acquired while AT was active. i surpose you could use it as a trinket, pop AT, get sheeped, return to normal

I see it as a good PVE tool, too. Massive AOE damage incoming ? Pop AT just before the damage, BAM 80 000 raid damage on your face, AT ticks, woooops full HP, np np !

Shame it can't save you from death, more interesting that other talents though.

I don't believe it'll reset cooldowns. It'd be too powerful, if it did and too complicated, if it was limited to a couple of cooldowns only. However, I think it's possible, that buffs and debuffs (including the bloodlust-debuff) will be reset.
    The term "current conditions" is quite vague and could mean anything, really. Maybe it only includes stuff like aggro or being infight/ooc.

So. Frikin. Hyped! :3

Cool to have some unique abilities at last! But 4 seconds.. I think 10 seconds would make it more interesting =)

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

Quote Originally Posted by FunFarm View Post
    What Alianthos said, and I'd like to add that it will be disastrous in the hands of unskilled or unlucky Mages. For example, let's say you're fighting Majordomo Staghelm Heroic, let's say that the Mage is supposed to pop AT just before a Scythe but pops it afterwards, imagine now that it ticks just before another scythe, everyone is now back to being relatively low on health and a new scythe is in your face.
    Everyone? It just affects the Mage, and he'd be the only one dying. As he should be.
    Hey, remember when I dropped my keys and you thought the phone was ringing?

If the 'conditions' mentioned is cooldowns, its only going to give you a maximum of 4 extra seconds of anything you have active. Ice Block, Presence of Mind and the like would be able to be used twice I guess.. but if you can pull that off you probably deserve to be able to do it.

OT: Cast on roof of WSG flag room, jump down & grab flag, be returned to your position on the roof with full health as if you hadn't even jumped into harms way.

Blizz should add a random chance for a Black Hole/Wormhole to pop up when you use the spell. We´re talking about time and space over here!

I'm an Engineer, and I solve practical problems! - Play Free Online Games

Wow this will not be OP at all. Cool times in the town.

I feel as if this spell was inspired by the Muzurond fight in End Time. Perhaps they were toying around with the idea, and tested it with this boss?

Either way it's a hella cool skill.
    If I can't be the sex symbol, then I can definitely be the BITCH

Quote Originally Posted by Kuja View Post
    Cool to have some unique abilities at last! But 4 seconds.. I think 10 seconds would make it more interesting =)
    Wouldn't make it more interesting, it would make it OP. You could just be pretty damn reckless for 10 seconds long with barely any risk, so I think 4 secs is more than enough.

Thanks Quosk1867, for the amazing sig! <3

By conditions, do you think it means debuffs? Because this could lead to a mage having 3 lives with cauterize instead of only 2.

1. Get killed, cauterize activates - Ice block
    2. Wait 1 min for the CD on cauterize
    3. Prepare for being killed, hit Alter Time. Get killed, cauterize activates and Alter Time kicks in to save your life

This is of course only going to really work for predictable one-shot abilities, but it has great potential.

nerubian weaver ult anyone?:P

Quote Originally Posted by Qprahwndfury View Post
    OT: Cast on roof of WSG flag room, jump down & grab flag, be returned to your position on the roof with full health as if you hadn't even jumped into harms way.
    That's an interesting theory. Would the flag be returned or would he keep it? I'm anxious to see how they do this.
    Hey, remember when I dropped my keys and you thought the phone was ringing?

Quote Originally Posted by namtlade View Post
    By conditions, do you think it means debuffs? Because this could lead to a mage having 3 lives with cauterize instead of only 2.

1. Get killed, cauterize activates - Ice block
    2. Wait 1 min for the CD on cauterize
    3. Prepare for being killed, hit Alter Time. Get killed, cauterize activates and Alter Time kicks in to save your life

This is of course only going to really work for predictable one-shot abilities, but it has great potential.
    Cauterise has been nerfed to a 2 minute cooldown according to the new talent trees ):
    We get a bunch of other cool spells and changes though, this isn't the only one. Arcane Orb for instance.

like a few ppl have already said, there are some interesting implications from this new ability.

1) using it as a warlock portal
    blizz gave locks improved blink and now we are getting it back, kinda
    e.g. pop alter time, jump down off bridge, lol as ppl follow you, get ported back up, evocate unmolested
    (seen too many arena locks do this, makes me cry watching them full heal every 30secs)

2) using it as a magetank
    this combined with iceblock and/or cauterize will have some serious survivability power
    e.g. pop alter time, magetank some raid trash/mechanic, take some serious dmg so that cauterize procs, iceblock, get portaled back with full hp and raid dmg negated
    (im querying the "conditions returned" bit tho, could be dangerous if you pop it after cauterize procs or you have some angry dots on you, and it returns you with renewed timers on the lethal dots......)
    in certain situations, this could be incredibly powerful for negating raid mechanics
    think LK Valkyr, you pop alter time, it grabs you, the raid can continues to dps LK, you get returned to the raid 4 seconds later unscathed
    or soloing bethtilac smouldering dev upstairs
    or tanking baelroc crystals
    the possibilities for saving enormous amounts of healing required is endless
    Last edited by reverendball; 2011-11-23 at 11:45 AM.