Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Why are suicide rates so much higher in men than woman?

And do you think society can do anything about it?

Today in the U.K it was announced that a famous retired football player and Welsh manager, Gary Speed committed suicide. Articles are here for more detailed coverage:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-15911321
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti....html#comments
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...eed?intcmp=122

Now obviously there was more going on then the public knew about, but what would drive a good looking, successful and wealthy man to suicide? I read this and was reminded of an alarming figure that I had heard about. In the U.K, the most likely cause of death for young men was suicide, and suicide rates among men are 3 times higher then in woman.

So what makes men so much more prone to suicide? Is society constructed in such a fashion that men's emotions are oppressed from a young age. "Man up boy! Don't be such a big girl's blouse!" Or are men more prone to violent acts and so, as a direct result more prone to more violent (and successful..) suicide attempts?

Because men tend to use guns or other means that tend to do the job quick and dirty. Women tend to use ODs, and that has a higher "failure" rate.

Because men have to deal with women.

A womans greatest obstacle in life is material possession.
    A mans greatest obstacle in life is a woman.

nuff said.

<Infracted: Gender bashing isn't allowed>
    Last edited by Maharishi; 2011-11-27 at 08:42 PM.

Imo, it could be that men are more prone to negative thoughts but that's just from personal experience with myself and the people I've known.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it could have something to do with with young Gay people not being able to cope in a society that looks down on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Grishnok View Post
    Because men have to deal with women.

A womans greatest obstacle in life is material possession.
    A mans greatest obstacle in life is a woman.

nuff said.

Amen to this brother - couldn't have said it better myself.

Deleted
    My view is that
    a) men generally have more on their shoulders, they are the ones with financial responsibility, the ones who feed the family and such
    b) men don't have anyone to take care of them when they fuck up (career wise, money wise) - see a)

Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    I think it could have something to do with with young Gay people not being able to cope in a society that looks down on them.
    Speaking as someone who is gay himself I would say it could be a contributing factor as coming out is not exactly an easy experience (even though retrospectively it seemed like I made a mountain out of a mole-hill but then again my experience was good ), but that does not explain why it is so high in young men and not in young woman. I think its a much deeper problem then sexuality.

because men who cant handle their ego getting hurt

10+ Year Old Account
    Narcasism is more predominant in women than men. A Narcasistic person cannot kill themselves no matter how shit they feel their life is getting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    I'd imagine because men are more "prideful", and therefore tend to feel more like crap when in a negative situation than a woman.

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think society's demands of men to be "strong" and to not need help have a lot to do with it. I also think it's possible that they would choose more violent methods. I don't think it's just one factor at play in this.

Quote Originally Posted by reve View Post
    My view is that
    a) men generally have more on their shoulders, they are the ones with financial responsibility, the ones who feed the family and such
    b) men don't have anyone to take care of them when they fuck up (career wise, money wise) - see a)
    Well I'm not sure about a, I think woman are doing their best to equalise that if they can. As far as B it might be true in a different context. I once read a psychology study that showed men are a lot less likely to have someone come to their rescue if they get say, attacked in the middle of a street, then if it was a woman being attacked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithshield View Post
    Why are suicide rates so much higher in men than woman?
    Because our lives are much harder in general. We are not allowed to show our emotions without being considered weak or made fun of and we have to repress them all of our lives. Sometimes it builds up to such an extent we wish death upon ourselves. Society expects us to take leading roles and to "carry all the weight" both socially and psychologically and this only adds to the pressure.

Women on the other hand have little expected of them and are expected to be emotional, they also can lean on men (or in some cases many men) to shoulder their burdens and take care of them.

I'm not gonna look for it now but I read a report that suicide attempts are about equal, woman have a higher rate of failure tho.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithshield View Post
    Speaking as someone who is gay himself I would say it could be a contributing factor as coming out is not exactly an easy experience (even though retrospectively it seemed like I made a mountain out of a mole-hill but then again my experience was good ), but that does not explain why it is so high in young men and not in young woman. I think its a much deeper problem then sexuality.
    Yeah, I didn't mean it was the whole reason, just a contributing factor.

Because, when it comes down to it, men have the balls to go through with it? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Because men tend to use guns or other means that tend to do the job quick and dirty. Women tend to use ODs, and that has a higher "failure" rate.
    pretty much this

Based on the other responses in this thread, another interesting article i read was about why men take break ups so hard.

woman fall back on their friends that they can tell anything, but a guy will have just lost the only person he tells everything. Also the girl can break down and take some time off work, A guy gets told to suck it up and get over it.