Page 1 of 3
LastLast

How will u spend ure talents points in MOP? (Priest Style)

Heya guys

So yeah the Talent Calculator for 5.0 is out and I would love to see how u will spend ure points as a Priest in MOP, feel free to say why u choose a ability over another aswell.

Myself Im going with this
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/mis...ator#Xa!001122

Im healing PvE and Ive always been Disc, havent acctualy tried Holy but Im still considering it

15: Void Tendrils cuz I found it better to be used as CC in PvE, "Never Fear In a Dungeon"
    30: Body And Soul cuz im playing Disc and I think the other abilitys, for example Phantasm is more PvP related.
    45: Divine Star cuz I belive the 6% from, From Darkness Comes Light is to low and that to use Archangel u need to stack buffs using Smite and such Offensive Abilitiys, if they changed this tho to make it stack with heals aswell Im considering this.
    60: Angelic Bulwark cuz im Disc and I belive that Abilitiys that lasts all the time is better than abilitys that are only usable during a few specific times. For Example, Final Prayer are only used when ure at while ure below 30% HP, good for PvP I guess.
    75:Serendipity cuz it will boost my healing compared to the other abilitys.
    90:Vampiric Dominance, as I said before I prefer spells that are used all the time compared to spells that are only usable during specific times

How will u spend ure points?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I won't be actually using it, since I don't play anymore, but I did check it out.
    I picked the Holy Spec, since that's always been my favorite. I'm also assuming that the basic playstyle of each spec remains roughly the same, because otherwise you can't really make informed choices.

15: I don't feel like these choices really matter in PvE, but I picked up Void Tendrils for the newness of it. I also considered Psychic Scream, since that's actually really good when glyphed, preventing lots of damage.
    30: Body and Soul. I didn't really see the others as viable options for PvE content. Phantasm is a PvP talent, and Path of the Devout, is good, but selfish. I'd only pick it for running around in Stormwind. Body and Soul is just too useful, because it can be cast on others as well.
    45: Archangel isn't an option here for Holy, since you don't have access to Evangelism. From Darkness Comes Light seems inferior to the other option, since the proc, while useful, seems a little low. So I picked up the spell that actually will increase my healing and does some damage as well: Divine Star.
    60: I picked Desperate Prayer here, because I like the extra control about my own life it gives. Angelic Bulwark is more of a Discipline talent and Final Prayer can be wasted in a lot of occasions.
    75: This is actually a hard choice. Each option is really good. At first I was thinking about Twist of Fate, since I've always advocated Test of Faith and it can help out in burn phases as well. I ended up with Power Infusion, since, as a Holy Priest, a lot of my strength comes from dropping PoH bombs on the entire raid, so with sufficient mana, I can use this as a mini-raid cooldown. Opening up Serendipity to Discipline will make them even better at keeping the tank alive.
    90: This was another hard choice, as it should be for the final one. I picked up Vampiric Dominance to continue my AoE healing theme. I really like the design of the other two, and they sound more interesting to play with. Void Shift is very flexible, and will really shine in the hands of a good priest, just like Leap of Faith does. Vow of Unity also seems like a solid talent, giving an extra tank-cooldown to play around with. And in PvP good use can get you out of Crowd Control quickly.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted
    As a shadow priest, probably this: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/mis...ator#Xa!021211

15: Tentacles, that is all.
    30: I'd love immune to slow on fights like Beth'tilac heroic (I deal with the little adds so many slowing painful pools to stand in) so will be using this often.
    45: Assuming numbers are balanced will go for Divine Star, extra raid healing while doing possibly tons of aoe dmg is fine by me.
    60: I prefer survival cooldowns that don't use up a gcd, so that I can spend that gcd on doing something extra to save myself.
    75: Really depends on the fight, put in PI for the moment but could just as easily be Twist of Fate. All depends on burn phases etc.
    90: I'm already a massive fan of 'big' cooldowns so this was a no brainer for me really.
    Last edited by mmocffb95c3baf; 2011-11-23 at 01:11 PM.

Deleted
    PvP view here:

15: Psychic Scream. 30s CD and possible interrupt is still great. Tendril looks nice, but I'll have to see it in action. If it's insta killed by autoattacks I'll pass
    30: Hard decision between Body and Soul and Phantasm. I tend to phantasm for arena, body and soul for battlegrounds.
    45: From darkness comes light. Divine star sounds awesome for some battleground situations, maybe useless in arenas.
    60: Dunno. Angelic Bulwark looks better than final prayer but desperate prayer saved me countless times…
    75: No real pvp talent heres. Twists of Fate looks ok. If manaburn stays useful in MoP, I'll take power infusion.
    90: Vampiric Dominance for battlegrounds. Hard to say how useful Vow of Unity will be in arenas or bg where you're stunned or silenced half the time. Void shift looks like a suicide button.

15+ Year Old Account
    Super awesome PvE Disc Priest here, gonna go with this: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/mis...ator#Xa!201021

15. Psychic Scream, because in PvE the tendrils are useless (the NPCs will switch to them once none's around, and basically instant-kill them cause I doubt they'll have a lot of health).
    30. Body and Soul, cause I'm disc and I shield a lot.
    45. Not sure cause I wanna see Divine Star in action. It looks good to me now, that's why I chose it. But we'll have to wait for that.
    60. Desperate Prayer, cause the others are just not as good. Final Prayer doesn't look that bad, I guess we'll have to see if it scales with mastery etc (prolly not).
    75. Serendipity. Hard to choose actually, but I think I'll go for a 100% "uptime" spell over a spell that I'll probably have to cast on some Shadow Priest or a Boomkin.
    90. Void Shift. I think. Will have to test Vow first, but I can think of numerous occasions where Void Shift would be REALLY useful.

I think I will go like this.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/mis...ator#Xa!120211

15 Psyfiend
    30 Phantasm
    45 From Darkness, Comes Light
    60 Final Prayer
    75 Power Infusion
    90 Void Shift

It's a little PVP/PVE ish...

Honestly, the talent tree for shadow is complete *&^% at the moment. Why would they put two shadowpriest abilities (From Darkness Comes Light and Archangel) on the same &^&*%^& line?

Looks like I'm playing Diablo 3 full time

Quote Originally Posted by Quillerjr View Post
    Honestly, the talent tree for shadow is complete *&^% at the moment. Why would they put two shadowpriest abilities (From Darkness Comes Light and Archangel) on the same &^&*%^& line?
    Probably because that tier of the talents are all choices between things that affect damage/healing so they are equal choices in Blizz's thought of making people make choices between similar interesting things instead of having to make a choice between say a survivability talent and a dps talent.

10+ Year Old Account

Otherwise the choice wouldn't be meaningful. If you had to choose between speed increase and a DPS increase you'll always pick the DPS increase. The way it is set up now, you have an actual choice, not a mathematic problem. You'll have to pick between sustained damage, or more damage when it matters (when the boss is almost dead).

There are flaws in the system, but this is not a flaw, it's a design choice.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted
    Why to all specs get the same list of talents, it's pretty lazy if you ask me and limits choice way more then the system we have at the moment.

For me tiers 1 through 4 are all useless talents that I will be forced to chose one from each, Tier 5 imo is the only tier with real choice for a disc priest ( throughput below 25% vs haste cooldown vs healing mechanic ) all of which are decent talents, the last tier has two healing cooldowns and a damage / healing mechanic.

Blizz needs to get off their ass and start actually working, the talent trees need useful talents that are dedicated to each tree not a jumble mix of multi function talents.

I'll respec optimally for each encounter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolNitro View Post
    Why to all specs get the same list of talents, it's pretty lazy if you ask me and limits choice way more then the system we have at the moment.

For me tiers 1 through 4 are all useless talents that I will be forced to chose one from each, Tier 5 imo is the only tier with real choice for a disc priest ( throughput below 25% vs haste cooldown vs healing mechanic ) all of which are decent talents, the last tier has two healing cooldowns and a damage / healing mechanic.

Blizz needs to get off their ass and start actually working, the talent trees need useful talents that are dedicated to each tree not a jumble mix of multi function talents.
    With regards to less choice than current - as shadow I currently have 1 spare talent point that I can either put in 2% less magic dmg taken or 3% less instant cast mana cost; neither of which I could care less about. As disc I have the choice between atonement spec or not atonement spec; once I choose between the two I have again no real choice of talents that actually make any difference to the way I play.

The current system gives a good illusion of choice but that's it, if you don't take all of the 'obvious choices' then you can't play the spec properly, so at the end of the day there is no choice unless you are specifically trying to play your class badly (which would be a strange goal in my eyes)

I'm really not sure how you can call tier 1-4 useless. I look at them and see many possibilities that are all useful depending on your play style and boss encounter. This is from a heroic raider's perspective though, I assume it would be very different dependant on what aspect of the game you play.

Specific talents for each spec would be nice sure, but it would require astronomical amount of work so I don't really see the point.
    Last edited by mmocffb95c3baf; 2011-11-23 at 06:11 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorend View Post
    I'll respec optimally for each encounter.
    This is my choice as well. Flexibility is the important part here.

15: Void Tendrils, nothing's worse than ccing things in dungeons and raids
    managing to pull 5 more packs.

30: Body and Soul, while I like Path of the Devout it's usefullness is rather
    limited as it would break upon dmg, requiring a recast wich not always is
    available. On top of BoS being a burst speed buff more usefull for panic
    situations.

45: Divine Star, I won't be tank healing more than the occasional Renew
    and PW:S/PoM and this seems like a very interesting way to increase your
    hps in addition to all other heals available.

60: Final Prayer, I would go with Desperate Prayer but if you're below 30% hp
    chances are you don't have the gcd to spare in the first place, and this comes
    in handy when you're preoccupied learning new mechanics and fights.

75: While all spells here seems fairly usefull I think Power Infusion coupled
    with PoH is the most reliable way to go as I'm focusing on raid and doing
    my best to keep everyone above whatever percentage required to take
    at least 1 hit +10% from current boss mechanics. Thus rendering Twist of Fate
    gimped.

90: While I think both Vow of Unity and Void Shift are amazing cd's for an
    healer I find them more suited for discipline as I won't be tank healing, and
    the designated tank healer have a simmilar cd by now on top of my Guardian Spirit
    I rather boost my raid healing with Vampiric Embrace.

Deleted
    To clarify what I meant by less choice.

Tier 1: all CC abilities kind of useless for PvE boss encounters as a disc priest
    Tier 2: 2x movement speed talents and 1x pvp talent, Body and soul being the only useful one.
    Tier 3: semi useful talents, surge of light crappy proc rate, AA I don't use it and divine star we have no idea how it heals.
    Tier 4: All pvp talents imo
    Tier 5 & 6: seam decent choices.

Basically I don't see how we can have 6 Tiers of three talents each but with the inter-operation with both PvE and PvP for all 3 specs, its too clustered with not enough dedication to either PvP or PvE.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolNitro View Post
    To clarify what I meant by less choice.

Tier 1: all CC abilities kind of useless for PvE boss encounters as a disc priest
    Tier 2: 2x movement speed talents and 1x pvp talent, Body and soul being the only useful one.
    Tier 3: semi useful talents, surge of light crappy proc rate, AA I don't use it and divine star we have no idea how it heals.
    Tier 4: All pvp talents imo
    Tier 5 & 6: seam decent choices.

Basically I don't see how we can have 6 Tiers of three talents each but with the inter-operation with both PvE and PvP for all 3 specs, its too clustered with not enough dedication to either PvP or PvE.
    T1: I would love the Tendrils on Sinestra to get the occasional whelp off me without sending it to the other side of the room. Would also be handy on Beth'tilac if a tiny spider got close to a Drone.

T2: I'd love Phantasm on Beth hc when I'm dealing with soaking the small spiders, the pools tick for 20k dmg and slow you so getting out of them faster I would never complain about.

T3: As you said we have no idea about the numbers, so cannot possibly comment without wild speculation.

I imagine we'll see big changes everywhere so personally I'm waiting for the beta before I start to make any concrete decisions.

15+ Year Old Account

Probably a good thing for your guild if you're this quick to throw a tantrum without thinking things through (and that slow to have only seen the talents now).

PvE Holy: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/mis...lator#X!001012

PvP Disc: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/mis...lator#X!021221

Not sure about the PvP tree, some tough choices there. I chose Divine Star hoping that it can get players out of stealth / force them into combat. Final Prayer and Void Shift could easily change.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultima View Post
    Probably a good thing for your guild if you're this quick to throw a tantrum without thinking things through (and that slow to have only seen the talents now).
    Adding to the above: Blizzard have numerous times said that the current line-up is very much a work in progress and can and will change before launch. Getting pissed off about this and quitting the game NOW, is stupid. Providing feedback on the official forums, where you explain what you find wrong and make suggestions on what is needed, is what you should be doing. Then, when we're near the end of MoP Beta and the talents still seem fubar to you, THEN you quit...

On topic, here is what I am going with, using the CURRENT BUILD THAT MOST LIKELY WILL CHANGE BEFORE THE EXPANSION LAUNCHES!

I'm shadow, rarely do pvp and rarely raids. So I picked my talents with that in mind!
    15, Void Tendrils looks good to me. I don't like the short range and time on Psychic Scream and a randomly selected target to fear kinda sucks to me. I'd much rather have a root.
    30, Path of the Devout is awesome for me. I rarely use shield and when I do, I stand still anyway. Phantasm won't help much either, for the same reason. So throwing levitate on people during long runs with no action (like a wipe, going back to the boss) and getting a speedboost, that's just pure win.
    45, Divine Star without a doubt. A 6% chance to do insta-cast and free MB? Yeah, that may be a dps increase, but it feels meh to me. Archangel is on a too long cooldown for me to care. The star will be awesome for healing near-wipes and lots of AOE damage.
    60, passive OSHT button wins over a buff to my shields (that I rarely use) and an emergency heal that I usually don't have time to use before I'm dead anyway. I've had Desperate Prayer for years (holy and shadow time combined) and I don't think I've used it 100 times yet. So it's Final Prayer for me.
    75, Power Infusion will ROCK during Hero/Blood/whatever. Twist of Fate is boring to me, as the stuff I'm fighting rarely stay alive for long once they dip below 25% hp. Serendipity is POINTLESS, as I have used Mind Spike less than 50 times since getting it. I just don't like that spell.
    And finally, the grand finale at 90: Vampiric Dominance! I LOVE my offhealing while doing damage and I will never get rid of it, unless Blizzard removes it completely. Mainly because I love healing myself while soloing slightly-tougher-than-expected mobs! I don't plan on becoming the tank/healer's OSHT button with Void Shift, but I can see the benefit from a healer-perspective. And Vow of Unity feels like a healer-thing to me, so that's a no-go. VD at least gives me a constant benefit, both solo AND in party/raid...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    Adding to the above: Blizzard have numerous times said that the current line-up is very much a work in progress and can and will change before launch. Getting pissed off about this and quitting the game NOW, is stupid. Providing feedback on the official forums, where you explain what you find wrong and make suggestions on what is needed, is what you should be doing. Then, when we're near the end of MoP Beta and the talents still seem fubar to you, THEN you quit...
    While true and well said in some places, this doesn't work in the context the poster I quoted.

He wants talents that are obvious Shadow talents that are obvious DPS increase talents. This is not the point of the new talent tree. If a tree features a talent that increases output or efficiency, it should stand that the other talents in that line will do the same albeit in a different manner.

15+ Year Old Account
    I feel like the trees have very very little customization so far, and really hope they add a Lot more than they have or Mists is going to look pretty bloody dull compared to any other modern game where your level of customization is much higher. I like the ability to choose our tools - but I don't think it should exist solely without a talent tree - it should be both IMO. You should choose your spells with the proposed system, then you should have talent trees that allow you to further customize those tools - so reduce the cooldown on Void Tendrils by 5/10 seconds, or add a 1/2 second stun to the start of the root, or double the damage the targets can take before the root breaks. Alternately you could choose Psychic Scream and then choose if you want 3.5/7 seconds off the cooldown (23 seconds as it is in shadow pvp currently) or if you want 1/2 seconds longer duration, or if you want a 4 second 50% snare after the fear effect ends. What I'm saying is, I don't think that this level of customization alone will significant enough to make people feel like their choices are real - its more "real" choices than cookie cutter specs - but the (albeit limited) customization of the existing system is roughly equivalent to the options this system offers. The benefit of the change would be roughly equal in terms of character customization as the existing system, while the opportunity cost of the change would see it perceived as a net loss: players will feel like they are losing, not gaining customization, and customization is personalization - and that's one of the most important hooks to keeping players engaged in a game.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter