Deleted

1 question about muscle lean/bulky

I just read something in the Sports forums, that if you do cardio your muscles will become leaner and faster?

Currently I am doing cardio too for 3 times a week to lose weight, but I also have alot of muscle, I am pretty damn strong.

I am afraid that my strenght will go away by doing that cardio. What will happen to my muscles when/if I get slim? Will I get a little weaker? I naturally have a more bulky body build.

Maybe this is a stupid question but I really need to know.
    Last edited by mmoc13485c3c3f; 2011-11-23 at 02:51 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1
    I just read something in the Sports forums, that if you do cardio your muscles will become leaner and faster?
    If you run your muscles get better at running.
    If you swim your muscles get better at swimming.
    Squatting 400lbs and running a marathon use your leg muscles in very different ways.

Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1
    I am afraid that my strenght will go away by doing that cardio. What will happen to my muscles when/if I get slim? Will I get a little weaker? I naturally have a more bulky body build.
    Unless you starve yourself and stop exercising you should keep most of your muscle throughout your weight loss.
    High protein + Liftin dem' weights = maximum muscle retainment during a cut.

Deleted
    Over time yes, but you need to be in a serious protein deficiency for it to show over short periods of time(getting weaker). Just eat right and do your cardio untill you reach the weight you want. After this, you can concentrate on your mass, which needs a different diet than that of fat loss.

And yes, your body will slowly adapt to the exercices you submit it to

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by manbeartruck View Post
    Over time yes, but you need to be in a serious protein deficiency for it to show over short periods of time. Just eat right and do your cardio untill you reach the weight you want. After this, you can concentrate on your mass, which needs a different diet than that of fat loss.
    So...this means fat people with muscle gained from lifting are almost always stronger then slim people who also have muscle but mainly run and thus have a runners body?

Might explain why I am stronger then my slim friend who practices basketball at a intense level, he is strong but when he needs to lift weights he is like: damn....can't do it.
    Last edited by mmoc13485c3c3f; 2011-11-23 at 02:59 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    So...this means fat people with muscle are almost always stronger then slim people who also have muscle but mainly run and thus have a runners body?

Might explain why I am stronger then my slim friend who practices basketball at a intense level, he is strong but when he needs to lift weights he is like: damn....can't do it.
    Not necessarily. Fat and muclemass aren't necessarily related, other than the fact that to GAIN muscle, you need to eat more than your body uses daily and to LOSE fat, you need to eat less. You can't do both effectively at once, at least not for an extended period of time and with a normal schedule.
    This means that runners are skinny because they tune their body to handle a different type of stress than a someone who trains for the weightlifting olympics.

And your friend's strength probably has nothing to do with the fact that he plays basketball, but the fact that he is slim.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by manbeartruck View Post
    Not necessarily. Fat and muclemass aren't necessarily related, other than the fact that to GAIN muscle, you need to eat more than your body uses daily and to LOSE fat, you need to eat less. You can't do both effectively at once, at least not for an extended period of time and with a normal schedule.
    This means that runners are skinny because they tune their body to handle a different type of stress than a someone who trains for the weightlifting olympics.

And your friend's strength probably has nothing to do with the fact that he plays basketball, but the fact that he is slim.
    Yeah I edited the part: fat person who lifts weights. Anyways, with the basketball: His trainer is crazy and lets him run alot....alot...ALOT... at high speeds. The fact that my friend is extremely thin and slim by nature (really, like a stick) might explain why he can't lift weights.... weird tho, I find it no matter how slim you are, if you have a decent amount of muscles and strenght, you should be able to lift 10kg? (he barely can)

Deleted
    Yeah I edited the part: fat person who lifts weights. Anyways, with the basketball: His trainer is crazy and lets him run alot....alot...ALOT... at high speeds. The fact that my friend is extremely thin and slim by nature (really, like a stick) might explain why he can't lift weights.... weird tho, I find it no matter how slim you are, if you have a decent amount of muscles and strenght, you should be able to lift 10kg? (he barely can)
    Well.. you should. Maybe they're just exercises his body isn't used to, so he struggles more. But clearly, if he trains a lot for running and jumping he isn't going to win any deadlift championships any time soon, just as a deadlifter isn't going to dunk that ball. Also, the longer the muscle is, the harder is has to work to contract in order to move that object, and the shorter it is, the more weight you can put on it in an exercise that singles out that specific muscle so if he is untrained and very slim, a long muscle would actually be against his odds.

So...this means fat people with muscle gained from lifting are almost always stronger then slim people who also have muscle but mainly run and thus have a runners body?

Not at all. Strength is determined by the density of your muscle fibres. Small wiry guys can be extremely strong. Being heavier allows you to put more wieght behind an action though.

Most ripped people to a decent amount of cardio. Just do both. Cardio and no weights – you’ll lose weight (fat and muscle). Weights and no cardio – you’ll not be very defined and look like hell.

Depends what kind of cardio you are doing. You can just do weight training with a high intensity. Something like steady state cardio isn't going to help at all unless you want to run a marathon or something. Just look at the physique differences of sprinters and marathon runners.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your workouts should depend on what you are going for. If you are happy with how strong you are but want a more 'toned' look than you should focus on cardio. Cardio + minimal lifting should maintain your current strength while reducing your bodyfat giving you that 'ripped' look. If you want to be stronger (e.g. able to life more weight), then you should focus on lifting workouts, but this will not likely give you a toned look unless combined with something like a ketogenic diet.
    Tobyas (85) :: Tobykenobi (85) :: Uruu (85):: Mykka (52)
    <-- All Chars on Ice Since March 2011 -->
    Currently Playing: Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword