Overclocking i5 2500k

Hello guys

I have had the i5 2500k for some while now and I want to overclock it a bit. This is my first time ever doing this so I need some guidance - or just some links to reliable guides on the internet.

I have a pretty solid Cooler Master case with 4 fans. One in front and one in the side that blows air in, one in the top and one in the top-back that blows air out. On the CPU I have the stock cooler. According to Priform Speccy my temps are atm: 34 Celsius for the CPU, 22 Celsius for the Motherboard.

I know that I can't go too high with the stock cooler but I guess I can OC it a bit. How far do you think I could go, and what would be the maximum temp that I would want to keep it below? Any tips are welcome.

Thanks.
    I'm not the Devil. I'm much, much older. I watched the Beginning and I will see the End. I am the dark behind the stars. I am the dark inside you all.

10+ Year Old Account
    What board are you using? For example with a P8P67 you could just use the AI Suite II that comes with the board to OC the system automatically from windows instead of BIOS.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't use the ASUS AI Suite, In fact it's so full of bugs right now (For Win7 64-bit anyway) I wouldn't even install it at the moment.
    Check out: http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overc...beginners.html

I would keep the Temps under 70C though. Probably as it's winter aim to keep them below 65C so you can run the same OC all through the year. While people will tell you the Thermal Limit is 100-110C it is exactly that... a LIMIT, not a Target.

You shouldn't software overclock. Learn how to do it properly in BIOS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    I wouldn't use the ASUS AI Suite, In fact it's so full of bugs right now (For Win7 64-bit anyway) I wouldn't even install it at the moment.
    Yeah I took the risk just 'cause I'm going to RMA the whole rig due to it's instability. But I've managed without any bugs on Win7 64-bit so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekloth View Post
    What board are you using? For example with a P8P67 you could just use the AI Suite II that comes with the board to OC the system automatically from windows instead of BIOS.
    no? bios all the way, you will have too much voltage on Vcore almost all the time via Ai suite

---------- Post added 2011-11-24 at 01:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Build View Post
    You shouldn't software overclock. Learn how to do it properly in BIOS.
    I am SO slow

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McFrotton View Post
    no? bios all the way, you will have too much voltage on Vcore almost all the time via Ai suite

---------- Post added 2011-11-24 at 01:14 PM ----------

I am SO slow
    You can manually set the Vcore voltage from the AI Suite, though. Of course you can do the OC from the BIOS as well, it'd most likely even be more stable and efficient like that, but if you're just feeling lazy you CAN give the Suite a shot.

Before I got an aftermarket cooler, I overcloked to 4.0 GHz with offset mode @ -0.90V. The temps were below 70. Just download prime95, let it run for say 10 minutes and then check the temps. It will have reached it's maximum it will ever reach within those 10 minutes.
    Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.7GHz | MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G x2 in SLI | ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 Motherboard
    8 GB of Kingston HyperX DDR3 | Western Digital Caviar Green 1 TB | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB
    2x Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB + Corsair Force 3 120 GB SSDs (three-way raid 0)
    Cooler Master HAF 912 plus case | Corsair AX1200 power supply | Thermaltake NiC C5 Untouchable CPU cooler
    Asus PG278Q ROG SWIFT (1440p @ 144 Hz, GSync + 3D vision)