Deciding between two laptops...

have to give my current laptop to my mom for she doesn't own and lives away from the rest of the family so its nice to keep in touch with her via skype/yahoo

So I have to go shopping for a new laptop

I have two options, I chose these two because they are small and fit in my backpack and I rather not get a netbook.

I tend to game a bit, games such as WoW/sc2/LoL maybe l4d

I am looking at the Alienware m11x R3 and the Macbook Pro 13inch

Alienware spec that i set up is
    1. Intel® Core™ i7 2617M 1.5GHz(2.6GHz w/Turbo Boost, 4MB Cache)
    2. 4g of DD3 1333MHz Ram
    3. Windows 7 Home (Can change it to Pro later on)
    4. Nvidia Geforce GT540M graphics 2g memory
    5. Claims it has roughly 7hours of battery life. (so roughly 4hours for my personal uses)
    6. 350G hard drive 7200RPM

or
    Base on suggestions Macbook pro is thrown out

What about this laptop
    http://www.xoticpc.com/msi-x460dx-p-3150.html

Specs
    1. 14inch wished it was smaller but oh well this laptop is slim so thats okay
    2. 2nd gen intel i7-2630QM 2.0 - 2.8GHz
    3. Nvidia GT 540M 1g memory dx11 with optimus tech
    4. 500Gb hard drive 7200RPM
    5. 8g of ddr3 1333mhz ram *black friday special*
    6. can have a blu ray driver or maybe it has it by default
    7. has a bad web cam though

I config it to have the i7 cpu along with 8g of ram
    and everything else is default

It claims up to 8 hours of battery life which is very impressive.
    Curious though it comes with a 6 cell battery (I have no clue on batteries)
    Will the laptop even run for more than 3hours
    with these conditions....
    1. low brightness level
    2. music via a flash player or winamp/window media
    3. running google docs

===========================================================
    TL{}DR
    ERRRR alienware m11x R3 or MSI x 460dx
    One is 11inch the other is 14inch
    Pricing M11x ~1200USD (paying 200dollars for better webcam and lighting and I like the alienware logo ><)
    Pricing MSI ~1000USD ( save 200 dollars +8gb, meh camera

Usages - minor gaming(raiding in wow) / mostly for homework, notes casual uses.
    And maybe replacing my current desktop (thinking of selling/ giving to my cousins due to lack of space )
    Last edited by Trollayd; 2011-11-24 at 02:07 AM. Reason: removing one option replacing witha nother

Eclipse will run on OSX, but games will not run on the 13" MBP because it has worthless shit GPU.

Alienware M11x is overpriced but if you're 101% sure you can not take 15" laptop even at gunpoint, it's your best bet.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

its more i don't want something too big in my backpack its not that the weight is an issue its just hard to fit in my backpack sometimes. But as of now alienware m11x is probably best bet even though it will cost an arm like you said.

The two laptops are not remotely similar to each other in any way.

M11x is a gaming laptop.

MBP is a business class laptop.

They will both play WoW passably, but buying a 13" MBP with the intent to use it for gaming is a bit foolish IMO.

Compare this for example to the M11x, that's how much you pay extra with it.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Compare this for example to the M11x, that's how much you pay extra with it.
    I don't think I'd agree that 11" vs 15.6" is an apples to apples comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphorism View Post
    I don't think I'd agree that 11" vs 15.6" is an apples to apples comparison.
    Here's a quick recap since you seemed to miss/ignore/skim my first post:

M11x is too expensive unless you really must get laptop smaller than 15". I posted an example of cheap gaming-worthy 15" laptop to demonstrate that point. It was not meant to be a comparison between 11" laptops but how much you pay extra for that slightly smaller size in both price and power.
    Trolling should be.

I understand that picking up a MBP for gaming is something extremely stupid to do, but the raids I do are just pugs/casual light things and every now and then I would play sc2. Its mostly for casual uses and the camera is just so awesome. But gamers blood in me I have to play games and there to burn time on slow days.

I am just worried that the alienware might have a heating problem if I were to do something before hand (youtubing for sometime) and have its fans go nuts, (Had another laptop that did that granted it wasn't an alienware but an Asus)
    I use to have a macbook and its battery life was great just the heating got to me sometimes.

I am usually away from an outlet during school so its nice to know that said laptop dependent. (unless both are the awesome on battery life then ignore this)
    Not really crazy over WoW performance. Happy with low/med settings running at 25+fps

Quote Originally Posted by Trollayd View Post
    I understand that picking up a MBP for gaming is something extremely stupid to do, but the raids I do are just pugs/casual light things and every now and then I would play sc2. Its mostly for casual uses and the camera is just so awesome. But gamers blood in me I have to play games and there to burn time on slow days.

I am just worried that the alienware might have a heating problem if I were to do something before hand (youtubing for sometime) and have its fans go nuts, (Had another laptop that did that granted it wasn't an alienware but an Asus)
    I use to have a macbook and its battery life was great just the heating got to me sometimes.

I am usually away from an outlet during school so its nice to know that said laptop dependent. (unless both are the awesome on battery life then ignore this)
    Not really crazy over WoW performance. Happy with low/med settings running at 25+fps
    Yeah, it's kinda ironic that you're thinking about a Macbook Pro over any other notebook because of overheating issues. MBPs are notorious for overheating due to them lacking any form of acceptable ventilation.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Its the fan noise that I am worried about macbooks I know run extremely hot. Unless the fan goes crazy in a macbook as well then Macbook is obiviously isn't a choice. I was also given more options with a laptop that is 14inch rather than the m11x.

Also I was looking at

http://www.xoticpc.com/msi-x460dx-p-3150.html

I config it to have the i7 cpu along with 8g of ram
    and everything else is default

It claims up to 8 hours of battery life which is very impressive.
    Curious though it comes with a 6 cell battery (I have no clue on batteries)
    Will the laptop even run for more than 3hours
    with these conditions....
    1. low brightness level
    2. music via a flash player or winamp/window media
    3. running google docs

As of now I am more interested in the laptop from xotic since its pretty cheap.

My Macbook of 3 years has left me with thin-skinned thighs. Overheating is a big problem.

Do not get a Macbook, just don't. I know it looks cool and your classmates are going to think you're so fucking awesome, but after the novelty wears off you will be filled with nothing but regret. Don't do it.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    I wouldnt pick either tbh, as previously stated mx11 is overpriced and MBP just isn't for gaming at all.

Personally i would look at asus laptops.

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G74SX/

Might be a little over your price budget (£1400) not sure if your in UK/USA but the specs blows both those laptops out the water. Pretty sure they do other models but this is the one ive been looking at. Maybe an early xmas present xD

I was looking for a smaller laptop that thing is huge compare to those
    and I think i was editing my post as you posted this because I tossed MBP out of my list and looked at the MSI x460

make sure the power cord wont easily come out......seriously i bought my current laptop online and teh dam cord comes out way to easily
    Isnt 10% of infinite still infinite?

Where did you buy said laptop from? I believe MSI is a decently known company so if something like that happen it would be terrible for business and in the case that I do get a faulty one, pretty sure I can get it fixed by them.