Poll: How was your turkey cooked?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I prefer chicken too. It's easier to work with, faster to cook, and (in my opinion) more flavorful.

When you're cooking for a large number of people in your home, though, turkey makes sense. Let's see... do I want to prep and cook 2 turkeys, or 10 chickens?

I love my family. Our Christmas tradition: they eat whatever I decide to make.
    Belf, I had you pegged for a Turducken kind of guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Disenchanted View Post
    Belf, I had you pegged for a Turducken kind of guy.
    Screw that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

But really, I try to keep my things simple. Use quality ingredients, done.

Quote Originally Posted by Muffinator View Post
    I didn't eat turkey because it's the driest and most flavourless meat in existence.
    You need to getchu a leg next year darlin
    Let's turn the Night into Tomorrow

I cooked it with a magnifying glass.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't type this often, but OMFG!

ROFL. Touche good man.

10+ Year Old Account
    any1 tried a turkeykeykey? like a turkey ina turkey (good luck finding a oven

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    I marinade the Turkey 24hours prior to cooking, in a combination of Beer, brown Sugar, Garlic and other Herbs and Seasons, I use a oven bag for 4-5 hours, ending the cooking by removing the bag and setting my oven to the broil setting while keeping it at the same temperature.

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, OP, that sounds like you had an awesome turkey.

I was not in charge of cooking the turkey this year, sadly. Although I did hickory smoke a turkey on the grill a few years ago, and that was pure concentrated amazing.

I cooked it with the power of rage.

I didn't eat turkey because it's the driest and most flavourless meat in existence.
    you obviously have never had a good deep fried turkey cause it is the most juiciest you will ever taste as the oil locks in the moisture. I only deep fry my turkeys and everyone i know loves it and invites me to their houses to deep fry theirs
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    Sounds like a euphemism for real life. We throw money at the rich, in hopes that we will someday be rich, and then we get hookers to piss on us. That's what trickle down economics really is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    wow, must have had a lot of bad cooks in your life. When cooked properly turkey is very juicy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by traen View Post
    Where is "I'm vegeterian" option?
    That's over there in the ladies section, ma'am -------->

http://thetrashcanturkey.com/
    I don't argue to be right, I argue to be proven wrong. Because I'm aware that the collective intelligence of the community likely has more to offer to me by enlightening me, than I do to an individual by "winning" an argument with them.
    I don't always wear tennis shoes, but when I do, I speak Russian. In French.

Like everything else in terms of cooking, if something is always dry/tasteless/etc. then you need to find new cooks because they're terrible. Plus you probably need to brush your teeth/tongue because the residue of previous drinks (especially coffee and tea) dramatically mask/alter the flavor of foods.

If you have a typical convention oven (i.e. air isn't circulated inside) then put the bird on the lowest rack. The coil on the bottom will help to bring up the temperature of the legs/thighs so that both sides of the bird cook evenly.

I hate it when people read to let a bird (chicken or turkey) to cook to 165F before pulling it out: you may as well prepare to eat jerky then because that temperature's going to rise another 10-15 degrees because of the size. Poke the thigh with a thermometer and if it comes out around 155~ with clear juice get it out of the damned oven. Let a bird rest for half of the cooking time: if you need to cook a large one for 6 hours, then let it rest (covered either with foil or a roasting rack lid) for 3. Shocking I know, but you'd be surprised to learn (or find out yourself) that the pan will still be hot to handle and the bird will still be steaming when sliced, not to mention that the muscle tissue will have a chance to re-absorb the water released during cooking.

Plus, if you actually let it rest properly (half an hour is not resting for a turkey: that's getting sidetracked peeling potatoes and forgetting about it) you can drain the juices out of the pan ahead of time, place them in a container and put them in the freezer for 45-60 minutes, scrap away the solid fat on the top, and be left with a really "clean" base for a gravy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bumping this for this year! My turkey this year is a Pear and Port Wine glaze and a Challah stuffing with Leeks, Italian Sausage, and Currants. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

| PM Signature Requests: Closed | My Work | Signature Tutorial |

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eruionmel View Post
    Bumping this for this year! My turkey this year is a Pear and Port Wine glaze and a Challah stuffing with Leeks, Italian Sausage, and Currants. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

And I stand by my now year old post above. Keeps the turkey out of the kitchen so it saves you lots of oven space, and keeps the kitchen from being 105F all damn day. Cramped space for cooking + overheated kitchen + family pressure = grumpy cook. Be a man and cook your turkey in the dirt!
    I don't argue to be right, I argue to be proven wrong. Because I'm aware that the collective intelligence of the community likely has more to offer to me by enlightening me, than I do to an individual by "winning" an argument with them.
    I don't always wear tennis shoes, but when I do, I speak Russian. In French.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KingHorse View Post
    Happy Thanksgiving!

And I stand by my now year old post above. Keeps the turkey out of the kitchen so it saves you lots of oven space, and keeps the kitchen from being 105F all damn day. Cramped space for cooking + overheated kitchen + family pressure = grumpy cook. Be a man and cook your turkey in the dirt!
    Hahah. I have my sliding door open to help cool it down. Someday I'm gonna try it your way, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Someones never had dark meat...

OT: I kept it simple this year. Make an herb butter spread that I rubbed in between the skin and the meat. I stuffed the turkey with a mix of fresh poultry herbs, onions, celery, and garlic. Baked in a convection oven with the mandatory basting.

In my opinion, its all about the gravy. The turkey is just the vehicle that brings the gravy into your mouth.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Don't eat turkey. Tastes horrible

I will be grilling my salmon though. Mmmm.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

10+ Year Old Account
    Which turkey?

<---- don't celebrate thanksgiving, cause we in the Netherlands don't celebrate that!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    Someones never had dark meat...

OT: I kept it simple this year. Make an herb butter spread that I rubbed in between the skin and the meat. I stuffed the turkey with a mix of fresh poultry herbs, onions, celery, and garlic. Baked in a convection oven with the mandatory basting.

In my opinion, its all about the gravy. The turkey is just the vehicle that brings the gravy into your mouth.
    Mmm, that sounds lovely. And I feel you with the gravy, hahah. Can't wait to try the gravy this year. Pear and Port gravy on turkey makes me feel faint just thinking about it.