Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Zelda is a name like any other. Its just extremely rare.

Quote Originally Posted by caninepawprints View Post
    Someone in my guild just said Zelda is a pretty common name in eastern Europe. If that's true, this video lost coolness points.

ETA: Heh, turns out it's true it's a real name and not unique to the game.

"Zelda is a nickname for the feminine name Griselda, which means "dark battle", and also the feminine form of the yiddish name Selig, meaning "blessed", "happy."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zelda_%28given_name%29
    thank you!.. someone with a brain who actual looked up the origin of the name rather than saying (zelda... video game... girl) but be taken from that

Quote Originally Posted by Pandamoneum View Post
    True, but the point I was making is that Sarah or John are not going to get beat up over their names. Sylvanas might. Ofc so might Zelda, but I still think it's better than some video game name that was made up by a video game, and not a socially established name before hand.

Its not completely made up, Sylvia is a name. Its a variation of that. Its like Christy, Christina, Cristi etc etc

Woulda been different if he named his son Ganondorf or just Ganon (although Ganon would be awesome.)

Quote Originally Posted by SomethingcooKiljaeden View Post

Robin Williams named his daughter after Zelda. What do you think of this? Would you ever do it? Name your kid after a video game character? Like name your daughter Sylvanas or Elune? I personally think its an awesome idea.
    Zelda is a VERY old name, with both Germanic and Yiddish variants. (The Yiddish version means "Luck.") By contrast names like Sylvanas and Elune (and most other references to the WoW universe) are not that old and they don't have any real-world origins.

Now would I, personally, do it? No. But that's based strictly on personal preference. I'm more likely to name my child after some historical figure. In fact my fathers side of the family has a long tradition of naming children after great leaders.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirakh View Post
    Woulda been different if he named his son Ganondorf or just Ganon (although Ganon would be awesome.)

Obviously, the name Zelda existed far before Legend of Zelda, but everyone seems to think that is all because of the game, lol.

Zelda obviously has been a name far longer than just from legend of zelda...how about zelda fitzgerald anyone (of whom the zelda character is named for).

10+ Year Old Account
    Robin's beard is epic!

Quote Originally Posted by Stixxz View Post
    Robin's beard is epic!
    I was thinking the same thing.
    Your grasp of the obvious is inspiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Solarshot View Post
    thank you!.. someone with a brain who actual looked up the origin of the name rather than saying (zelda... video game... girl) but be taken from that
    Doesn't really help your argument that zelda is a boys name though considering it says it is a feminine name and then gives a list of famous people named Zelda (all of which are/were women).

Honestly if my girl was ok with it I would love to name my daughter after Sylvanas... :P
    Most likely as a middle name but possibly a first name, honestly I would hate to have a daughter named "Jill" it would just seem too bland a name...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouni View Post
    Zelda isn't a boys name.

Zelda (the character you play in the game, is not Zelda...Zelda is the princness you save)

Your character is named "Link" or something.
    You know he just trolled you?
    Back when I first started playing the game I called Link Zelda instead.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    Zelda was a much more popular name 80 years ago, but it's not like it's that unusual now. I'm pretty surprised that some people in this thread weren't aware of that.
    On topic: I've thought about naming a future son Michael because of its meaning of savior or protector, which is one of the translations of Go'el. I don't think I have the balls to name a kid Go'el, but I wish I could. Alistair has almost the same meaning and I, like everyone who played DA1, am totally in love with him, but I don't think I could name a kid that either. For awhile, I wanted to name a girl Sylvanas. Then Cata came and Sylvanas turned crazy and dumb, soooo no thanks. I'm going to name my kids something game related though, I'm sure.
    Also, I knew a girl in elementary school who was named Trillian after the Hitchhiker's character. Always thought that was awesome.
    To quote the great sage Ook Ook, "you can take the derk out of the jib, but you shouldn't put the jib in the derk."

His beard would've rivaled Shay from the Shaytards.

Too bad Shay shaved his beard..

10+ Year Old Account
    I am curious how many of the people saying that Zelda is an old name watched the clip. He flat out says he named her after the Legend of Zelda.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    I am curious how many of the people saying that Zelda is an old name watched the clip. He flat out says he named her after the Legend of Zelda.
    it doesnt matter. it IS a name that was there before the game. it's no different than saying you named your kid after mario from super mario bros even though the name mario existed long before the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    The evidence for leprechauns is immense - do you know how many socks dissappear on the world scale... This means that the chance of leprechauns exists is the same as them not existing - therefore you cannot deny their existence

ive heard that robin williams likes video games so MAYBE he named her after the zelda in the game, but its far more likely he named her zelda after his great grandmother or whatever.

---------- Post added 2011-11-26 at 04:35 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    oh -_- i didnt watch it

10+ Year Old Account
    Robin Williams is one of my favorite actors and I want to be named after my Popa, and have my author names like WAR C, and Zelda is a nice name. Robin's daughter is really sexy I just got to say and I lol'd at this video when they started to laugh.
    For the Horde!

Quote Originally Posted by Solarshot View Post
    Well, that's why Robin Williams named his daughter Zelda, sure it was a name before the game, but she was named after the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence View Post
    it doesnt matter. it IS a name that was there before the game. it's no different than saying you named your kid after mario from super mario bros even though the name mario existed long before the game.
    Watch the video, he named her AFTER the game. Der

Skelington likes his decision. Zelda is a nice name, and not everyone will realize he took it directly from a video game, which is more awesome than naming people the average way.