10+ Year Old Account

So I Pre-Ordered CE, Leveled Consular 1-10

And i am considering cancelling my CE for just a digital deluxe. I don't know but I just feel like it won't be worth the extra money just for a special vendor and a mount (all that I really wanted). It's not that the game is bad, but for me it felt a little bit too much like WoW questing: boring killing and picking up crap.

Does questing get better? The story behind it all is great, I just don't find the tasks entertaining AT ALL. :/

What should I do?
    Watch the weather change...

Quote Originally Posted by Mynta View Post
    What should I do?
    Stop playing MMOrpg's?

I'm afraid questing in these types of games is pretty much the same for the most part. There aren't many games who even try to break away from this. Either you'll like it or learn to live with it until you reach max level.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bioware usually packs their premium editions of software with tons of crap. I remember getting Dragon Age Origins custom edition and getting all kinds of stuff from it. In this case however as the poster above me noted its hard to do things like that without leading to imbalance. I personally couldn't justify the money they want for the CE and the DE is probably a better for for most.

It's not that the game is bad, but for me it felt a little bit too much like WoW questing: boring killing and picking up crap.

Does questing get better? The story behind it all is great, I just don't find the tasks entertaining AT ALL. :/

What should I do?
    I don't really understand what you're looking for. Even GW2 (the game most think to be a revolutionary - or simply a different brand of mmo) will have the same types of quests.

Could you elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by UnCorpse View Post
    You are getting tired of MMOs.

Try not going for MMOs if you are getting tired of the main components of MMOs.

Try console gaming.
    This. I don't know what you expect from an MMO but Star Wars is amazing. I was skeptical at first before I played the beta today, but after getting level 10, I'm hooked. Combat is smooth and the voice acting makes it feel like you are playing a polished single player RPG.

Deleted
    I suggest you try another class if the consular isn't to your liking. I tried a trooper and i find the environment on their starting planet to be much more engaging.

I kind of understand you. I call it MMO weariness. I purposely restrained myself from playing any MMO's this year so that i can enjoy SWTOR without having to fight the 'oh god not another go-there-do-this quest' feeling.

Deleted
    i think the story lines are great

$150 for any collector's edition imo is a waste. I love swtor so far but I won't spend that much on a CE. In the past I have ordered CE's for WoW's Wrath and Cata and even then $80 is pushing it for me. Just get the regular version.

I think if you are making a decision based on levels 1-10 it doesn't have to do with the game itself, you may just be tired of the genre.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by orren77 View Post
    I suggest you try another class if the consular isn't to your liking. I tried a trooper and i find the environment on their starting planet to be much more engaging.

I kind of understand you. I call it MMO weariness. I purposely restrained myself from playing any MMO's this year so that i can enjoy SWTOR without having to fight the 'oh god not another go-there-do-this quest' feeling.
    That's true, perhaps I'll try Bounty Hunter or a ranged class.

I quit WoW this past may, guess I still haven't recovered from its grinding boredom. The thing is I love Star Wars and I want to enjoy it especially since I loved Kotor.

I've been getting back into games like BF3 and Rage, which are more console-game like. Its funny because I mvoed away from those types of games four years ago for the MMO genre. I think i'll cancel and just just the digital deluxe and play modestly so I don't bore myself to soon.

Thanks for your help.

Some of the people got mixed up in what an MMO is compared to what the quest formulas for MMOs are...

Killing this amount of monster or collect this amount of things are both good and bad for questing, the bad part comes solely due to the over repetition of the concept. Which is RPG engine part of things rather than being the MMO type.

For WoW the required changes regarding such quests would be so tremendous that post-change WoW would be WoW2 etc.

Thats why I was hoping SW:ToR or GW2 would apply a different model, but they seem to be following WoW in its footsteps.

Now don't get me wrong, if it wasn't for doing them for 3-4 times now, 1-60 quests were pretty much enjoying due to being driven more by story then to level up.

I guess the change we need is to have quests that emphasize the use of class abilities over certain level intervals, and again I'm the player type that doesn't like seeing how a warlock and paladin does the same quests without having proper ties to their lawful or chaotic orientations...

If you just bought CE for the amazing gameplay the game provides, then *shrug*.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strah View Post
    If you just bought CE for the amazing gameplay the game provides, then *shrug*.

I didn't, I bought the CE because I thought I would enjoy the game to the extent I figured having the extra 'perk' stuff would be worth it. I currently have not been 'thrilled' in beta so I am considering canceling.

Don't get me wrong this isn't a "SWTOR sucks" argument, I am just trying to see if others had better experiences with other classes and if I should really invest in CE.

I'll try out trooper and Bounty Hunter tommorow to see what it's like.

Deleted
    Play with friend if you can, you will have tons of more fun on top of fun questing already.
    I just did 10 levels by being Bhunter and my friend being agent. I could join the story areas and spectate which made it really intresting kinda like seeing what happens "in the shadows while im doing other stuff" you know. Also multiplayer conversations are random as you dont know what your friend will choose at any given time or will you answer..

Not to mention people might be used to staying in guilds and stuff so essentially solo-leveling with no contact can get boring after while (happened to me with cata beta..no guild=rather play on live. Friend got beta = instant fun get)

Or like others said, you might not be intrested in MMOs anymore..I mean if you play some long-time-mmo you might just play them because your character is like 5 years old (Like mines are)..People might not play them still because the games got new stuff like swtor/gw2 has..

Deleted
    Seems to be misconception about Guild Wars 2 in the way that standard pick up quests will be rarely involved. Dynamic Events will give you a choice on how to complete the objective. Need to rebuild a forge? Either kill enemies stalling progress, pick up stuff from the floor, or go round fixing things. Now, these may be considered standard MMO fare but lets face it, you need some tasks to do or there is no MMO is there.

But there is a difference, GW2 will have personal story, non Linear, dynamic active events with multiple objectives to do as you please, and there is no(or very little, ive seen next to none) .. go here and kill 10 of these then return to me, you go there, u do what you want, then you get rewarded for you participation, it really isnt standard MMO PVE.

Saying that my SWTOR beta experience so far is enjoyable if only for the fact its new. However it does follow MMo standard and after a few playthroughs could get old, but the story at least gives your actions a bit more meaning. So far though, it is a linear questing experience and i've not seen much to suggest this is an MMO which encourages grouping or working together. One of the funny things about this MMO and all others is that you are NOT ALLOWED to help people kill mobs, or, you are, but you wont get rewarded for it, like its a bad thing. Gw2 makes the simple change, reward anyone who helps kill a monster. Suddenly u have alot more teamwork going on... anyway this is too long..

my 2 cents

I didn't, I bought the CE because I thought I would enjoy the game to the extent I figured having the extra 'perk' stuff would be worth it. I currently have not been 'thrilled' in beta so I am considering canceling.

Don't get me wrong this isn't a "SWTOR sucks" argument, I am just trying to see if others had better experiences with other classes and if I should really invest in CE.

I'll try out trooper and Bounty Hunter tommorow to see what it's like.
    BH and Trooper are mirror classes, they have the same mechanics. You should try one of them and than test either Smuggler or IA

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Levels 1-15 are pretty slow, once you get to 18-20 the game starts to open up. Just like every other MMO being slow paced at the start to introduce people to the game.

Killing and picking stuff is not as much a MMO's scheme, but RPG's. There is simply not much else to do, most CRPGs are based on killing, looting, activating objects (one might add solving puzzles to these) and talking to NPCs. The difference comes in proportions of those things. Like Icewind Dale is mostly killing, Planescape is mostly talking and Baldur's Gate is sort of in between.
    SW ToR brings more of a talking element, that's for sure. But if you are getting tired of killing and looting then maybe you should mix your play time with games of different genres. I can tell you that flying X-wing after doing some quests is quite a refreshing experience . As for sticking purely with SW ToR since I haven't progress quite far yet I can't tell how diverse is game closer to the max level but I'm sure that possible pazaak's and races' addition should do good.

10+ Year Old Account
    As what other people have said, all RPG games are like this. Skyrim is like this is well, it's basically go here, kill X, talk to Y, kill more Z.

What Skyrim and SWTOR do though, is bring a great story with it. I've never cared about quests before in MMOs, now I can say I do.