Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    About 2-3 seconds. There's no power management available until you get into an OS, so it couldn't even underclock itself.
    This is just plain untrue. Thermal paste aids in heat dissipation by making a better contact area between the CPU and the cooler - starting a computer without paste in place is entirely possible and would probably work just fine for a long time if it was left un-stressed - if the CPU is Intel, it also has built-in thermal protection that operates entirely on it's own regardless of OS or BIOS interaction.

If this was it, he would have been able to start his computer as normal.

Yes, new thermal paste is a good idea, but it is not the problem here.
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like more than half of you more than you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodNewsEveryone View Post
    Reseat your memory it might be loose.

Check all connections, you may have missed a power connector to the board or CPU Cooler.

Visually inspect the motherboard, have you damaged any capacitors, scratched it or worse?

Visually inspect the CPU, have you damaged any pins when you installed it?

Are you certain the CPU is compatable with your motherboard?

If all fails look up "Motherboard Beep Codes", describe the beeps you're getting and then check it against common errors you should get it solved in the end.

---------- Post added 2011-11-26 at 04:39 PM ----------

Your GPU is fine.

You need to clean the processor and re-seat it with new thermal paste each time you change it. It doesn't matter if you've put a processor in, taken it out and then put it back in 10 mins later. You need to clean cover the processor with new paste every time.

If your PC was sparking you would smell it, see the smoke and the PC would very likely start up for 1-2 seconds then crash and repeat continously.

I did not take my CPU out. Just disassembled the cooler, and mounted the new one. I know all connectors are connected correctly. I took a photo before I disassembled it. And put it back together using the photo.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    High pitch squeel is an indicator of a power short. Have your power supply tested for power, it could have a failing rail. Do a physical inspection of the motherboard for any bloated capacitors. Should you find bloated capacitors you will need to replace your motherboard as it is now dead. Should your power supply have a dead/failing rail you will need to replace your power supply and possibly the motherboard if it was damaged by the short.

Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    High pitch squeel is an indicator of a power short. Have your power supply tested for power, it could have a failing rail. Do a physical inspection of the motherboard for any bloated capacitors. Should you find bloated capacitors you will need to replace your motherboard as it is now dead. Should your power supply have a dead/failing rail you will need to replace your power supply and possibly the motherboard if it was damaged by the short.
    Okay. I'll check my PSU's wattage. If my PSU can't deliver the correct amount of power, could that result in a high pitch noise aswell? And could that also result in a failing motherboard?

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    At this point it doesn't matter what the wattage of your power supply is. If it has a failing rail it will cease to power on all of the devices. For this you should take the computer in to a shop and ask them to test your power supply for you then explain why.

Is there another way to check if my PSU is destroyed? Like a multimeter?

Going to bed now btw. School tomorrow