Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How much power do I need for a GTX590?

Ok, so before I order my GTX590, I have a question regarding my Power supply. Since a GTX 590 is a hell of a card. Will a 600Watt ( 80 Plus Bronze ) be enough to power the card withought overclocking it for the time being?

Computer specs in sig.
    Playing since 2007.

No offense dude but why would you need a 590? a 580gtx or hd6970 can pretty much handle any games out today and probably most games in the next year or so.

ETA: You would probably need 800W or more.

Deleted
    Assuming you already have 570, are you going to SLI them (I think it's possible?)
    If yes, then I think you need more than 600.
    Last edited by mmoc5b3bf16116; 2011-11-26 at 06:16 PM. Reason: missing a word

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    No offense dude but why would you need a 590? a 580gtx or hd6970 can pretty much handle any games out today and probably most games in the next year or so.

It's like saying "Why would you get a GTX 580? You should get a 560ti instead!"

My bet is minimum 750w, 1000 may be overkill but it's worth it.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Yes and no.

If you plan on ever benchmarking and stressing your CPU and your GPU to the limit, it's 620w. If just gamingload, 563w.
    It's too tight for me, and I'd say no.
    I'm also impressed that you run 3x2GiB sticks in dual channel mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewote View Post
    Assuming you already have 570, are you going to SLI them (I think it possible?)
    If yes, then I think you need more than 600.
    It's not possible.

I have a 120hz Monitor, that requires double the power to achieve full quality.
    Playing since 2007.

Deleted
    going to have to agree with b0sanac here but i would recommend a decent 800w psu

Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    It's like saying "Why would you get a GTX 580? You should get a 560ti instead!"

My bet is minimum 750w, 1000 may be overkill but it's worth it.
    Just saying, 590 is overkill for all games at the moment.

I think the recommended watt peak for a gtx590 is around 700w? I think about its peak the 590 pulls around 600.. so you're pushing it.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gra...0-3gb-review/8

schroll down to the Power consumption Peak

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Yes and no.

If you plan on ever benchmarking and stressing your CPU and your GPU to the limit, it's 620w. If just gamingload, 563w.
    It's too tight for me, and I'd say no.
    I'm also impressed that you run 3x2GiB sticks in dual channel mode.

It's not possible.
    I don't run 3x2Gib sticks the sig is outdated I run 2x2 Gib.
    Playing since 2007.

Just saying, 590 is overkill for all games at the moment.
    Stop projecting your own needs onto others.
    It's also a general and untrue statement.

Stop projecting your own needs onto others.
    It's also a general and untrue statement.
    Hey just stating an opinion. Im assuming that OP is using it for gaming, otherwise i apologize.

You probably want a 750-850W PSU, 600W is just too close to pushing it.
    Rabsies
    <The Horsemen> US25 - Shadowmoon US - 14/14 25H
    "Just play the game"

Quote Originally Posted by Potatowizard View Post
    I think the recommended watt peak for a gtx590 is around 700w? I think about its peak the 590 pulls around 600.. so you're pushing it.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gra...0-3gb-review/8

schroll down to the Power consumption Peak
    According to that I only need 500 Watt, something smells fishy here.
    Playing since 2007.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hey just stating an opinion. Im assuming that OP is using it for gaming, otherwise i apologize.
    As tetris essentially said, we all have different needs. Who knows, the OP might have a 2560x1440 monitor or even larger, and if he does, a 590 would suit him extremely well, especially if he wants to play anything at reasonable graphics with 40+ fps, much less 60. You should meet Cyanotical and Synthaxx and tell them they don't need their video cards.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Again, as people didn't realize. I run an 120hz monitor which requires double the power. That is why I need such a powerful card.
    Playing since 2007.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I want a 120Hz so bad. x_x Course then I would have to upgrade my video card anyways.... no displayport. >_<
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Why would you need a displayport to run 120Hz? DVI-D should be enough.
    Also, just restating that 600w will work, but I'd clock the CPU back to standard and undervolt it as far as possible. To like 1.15v or further.
    I'd then remove the DVD+-RW if you have one, as they soak up a bit.
    I'd then NOT run benchmarks, as that would put you above 600w. At least cpu+gpu at the same time.

But you'd still live too close. I hate when people recommend too beefy PSUs, but your case is a warranted one. 750-850w would be another option, so you could overclock.
    &nbsp;

Why would you need a displayport to run 120Hz? DVI-D should be enough.
    Also, just restating that 600w will work, but I'd clock the CPU back to standard and undervolt it as far as possible. To like 1.15v or further.
    I'd then remove the DVD+-RW if you have one, as they soak up a bit.
    I'd then NOT run benchmarks, as that would put you above 600w. At least cpu+gpu at the same time.

But you'd still live too close. I hate when people recommend too beefy PSUs, but your case is a warranted one. 750-850w would be another option, so you could overclock.
    Underclocking my CPU back to stock sounds a bit rough. Don't want it to bottleneck the GPU. May as well do that until I get another PSU though.
    Playing since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Nab View Post
    Underclocking my CPU back to stock sounds a bit rough. Don't want it to bottleneck the GPU. May as well do that until I get another PSU though.
    You likely wouldn't bottleneck it.
    Yea, it wouldn't be as good as with overclocks.
    However, the term bottlenecking is used where one part of ones configuration is holding another hardwares potential back, and not letting it be used to its fullest.
    That would likely not happen here. The i5-2500(K) is a very capable CPU, and it should very well be able to keep up with the GTX 590 without forcing the GTX 590 to throttle.
    &nbsp;