Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Only pretty ones?

    Ive been looking at the video about Character Creation and Customization ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=-TJDTv1aGR4 )

    And I have only one comment. What if I want my char to be fat, with rich amounts of bodyhair and right foot limp to boot? Why do they always have to make character customizations that looks something straight out of a model catalouge? I want to be fat, sweaty with greasy bodyhair god damn it! Do you hear me Eric Flannum!?
    X:"Echo?"
    Echo: "What?
    X:"Echo?"
    Echo: "What?!"
    X: "Nothing"

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Epic! Milanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    That place...with the stuff.
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Armida View Post
    And I have only one comment. What if I want my char to be fat, with rich amounts of bodyhair and right foot limp to boot? Why do they always have to make character customizations that looks something straight out of a model catalouge? I want to be fat, sweaty with greasy bodyhair god damn it! Do you hear me Eric Flannum!?
    Then you would be terrible in combat and your character probably wouldn't make it past level one. Good luck dodge rolling or even wielding any sort of weapon when you're incredibly unfit and injured.

    Just Your Average Lurking Huntard LOLPRIEST forum lurker now.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Milanor View Post
    Then you would be terrible in combat and your character probably wouldn't make it past level one. Good luck dodge rolling or even wielding any sort of weapon when you're incredibly unfit and injured.
    going by that logic asuras would be realy horrible combatants... and i'm preety sure an asura will hit as strong a norn will (or atleast compareable)

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Milanor View Post
    Then you would be terrible in combat and your character probably wouldn't make it past level one. Good luck dodge rolling or even wielding any sort of weapon when you're incredibly unfit and injured.
    And since when did logic got anything to do with a fantasy game fighting mechanics? I repeat..a fantasy game.
    X:"Echo?"
    Echo: "What?
    X:"Echo?"
    Echo: "What?!"
    X: "Nothing"

  6. #6
    Warchief Maarius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Austria (EU)
    Posts
    2,003
    you can make ugly looking characters, but not fat ones... it wouldn't be possible from a technical standpoint (clipping issues)




  7. #7
    i was gonna say roll a dwarf but then i realised this was a gw2 thread.

  8. #8
    Epic! Milanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    That place...with the stuff.
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Armida View Post
    And since when did logic got anything to do with a fantasy game fighting mechanics? I repeat..a fantasy game.
    Well, we know the world of Tyria mostly conforms to the known rules of gravity when magic isn't involved, so that's one. For two, metal armor can take hits better than cloth armor. And for three, non-aquatic/amphibious beings need to breath underwater. So, based on those three things, I'd say we can assume that there is some common logic to be found within this fantasy game.

    More importantly, fat player characters would create both clipping issues and ruin the aesthetic that ArenaNet is aiming for.

    Just Your Average Lurking Huntard LOLPRIEST forum lurker now.

  9. #9
    Fluffy Kitten Bloodhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    2,277
    I want a Fat Bald Greasy Human Thief.

    Tomoko Eternal Life, Kilik Eternal Sun, Eira Frozen Hearted, Ashara Emberlight,
    Vuug The Deceiver, Grash Gravebuilder, Asgaut Divine Soul, Lera Dreamstealer

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Armida View Post
    Ive been looking at the video about Character Creation and Customization ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=-TJDTv1aGR4 )

    And I have only one comment. What if I want my char to be fat, with rich amounts of bodyhair and right foot limp to boot? Why do they always have to make character customizations that looks something straight out of a model catalouge? I want to be fat, sweaty with greasy bodyhair god damn it! Do you hear me Eric Flannum!?
    Heh. I usually play pretty, beautiful characters because I'm not pretty or beautiful IRL, but just recently when I started playing Skyrim I noticed that the devs have made it really easy to make an ugly character. In fact you need to make quite specific choices NOT to end up with a rather grim, ugly person. It was terribly refreshing and so I went ahead and made an especially hideous Dunmer female and I've surprisingly enjoyed it like hell
    - Hand: n., A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody's pocket. - Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by GayGirlie View Post
    Heh. I usually play pretty, beautiful characters because I'm not pretty or beautiful IRL, but just recently when I started playing Skyrim I noticed that the devs have made it really easy to make an ugly character. In fact you need to make quite specific choices NOT to end up with a rather grim, ugly person. It was terribly refreshing and so I went ahead and made an especially hideous Dunmer female and I've surprisingly enjoyed it like hell
    Now where is that blasted "Like" button! This is what I am talking about GayGirlie

    Quote Originally Posted by Milanor View Post
    Well, we know the world of Tyria mostly conforms to the known rules of gravity when magic isn't involved, so that's one. For two, metal armor can take hits better than cloth armor. And for three, non-aquatic/amphibious beings need to breath underwater. So, based on those three things, I'd say we can assume that there is some common logic to be found within this fantasy game.
    I repeat..they got MAGIC, logic and nature laws does not matter.

    Quote Originally Posted by Milanor View Post
    More importantly, fat player characters would create both clipping issues and ruin the aesthetic that ArenaNet is aiming for.
    This however is a valid argument, but surely there must be a way round it?
    X:"Echo?"
    Echo: "What?
    X:"Echo?"
    Echo: "What?!"
    X: "Nothing"

  12. #12
    We haven't even seen all of the character creation tools. You can adjust body build, etc. although you probably can't make your character fat. Still, I wouldn't get upset over something we haven't learned everything about yet.

  13. #13
    Fluffy Kitten Bloodhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    2,277


    BEWARE!!!

    Tomoko Eternal Life, Kilik Eternal Sun, Eira Frozen Hearted, Ashara Emberlight,
    Vuug The Deceiver, Grash Gravebuilder, Asgaut Divine Soul, Lera Dreamstealer

  14. #14

  15. #15
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    617
    Quote Originally Posted by Armida View Post
    I repeat..they got MAGIC, logic and nature laws does not matter.
    "Magic" is never a reason to don't care about logic and rules of nature. For a good believable world with magic the magic has to be a part of that system. It has to set rules and follow them. The second it breaks the set rules of what magic can do suddenly all falls apart.
    Saying "There's magic, thus a fatass that most likely has no cardio and would get severe knee pain running around in huge amounts of armor and gear shouldn't be an issue!" lets you say "There's magic, everyone should be able to fly!"

    Yes, there is magic. But that still doesn't remove gravity. If you look at the spells in game non of them are very long or sustained. For a fatass to run around like a fit 18 year old it'd take lots of magic.

    Still, ugly fit characters should go right ahead.

    Also, it's a fantasy setting in a middeval/indust-revolution setting. The only people fat were the really, really rich people who could aford to do nothing all day by having others do it for them.

  16. #16
    Herald of the Titans Mighty Blue Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,556
    Rofl, reading this reminded me of the old Dwarven Rogue God! XD

    He's rolly-polly fat, greasy, and will stab you in the eye before you know it!

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbathor

  17. #17
    Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    2,740
    Quote Originally Posted by athrl View Post
    That's hot.

    I agree with Mif though. If your character had a limp, or injury that hinders battle, then you wouldn't be a hero of Tyria... you'd be canon fodder of Tyria.

  18. #18
    I am Murloc! Mif's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tarnished Coast
    Posts
    5,629
    Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post
    I agree with Mif though.
    Thanks for agreeing in advance?

  19. #19
    there was a video of a Norn male with a crazy beat-up face. it had a scar of one side and was maybe blind in one i eye i forget. does anyone remember that video and could they post the link? you could see the Norn's face during cutscenes.

    EDIT: found it http://youtu.be/ps0bAl-ou-s?t=2m17s
    Last edited by Odeezee; 2011-11-24 at 04:49 PM.
    Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!!!

    Guild Wars 2: Odeezee (Necromancer) || TERA: Odeezee (Archer-Ret) || SWTOR: Odeezee (Sith Inquisitor-Ret/Jedi Sage-Ret) || GW: Odeezee Fosho (Elementalist-Ret)
    Aion: Odeezee (Sorcerer-Ret), ODZ (Spirit Master-Ret) || War
    : Odeezee (Sorcerer-Ret) || AoC: Odeezee (Demonologist-Ret) || WoW: Odeezee (Druid-Ret), Thaone (Mage-Ret)

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by athrl View Post
    What the heck,do you call that fat? Jeez, I want my char so fat that I have to roll her in flour just to...nevermind!


    Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    "Magic" is never a reason to don't care about logic and rules of nature. For a good believable world with magic the magic has to be a part of that system. It has to set rules and follow them. The second it breaks the set rules of what magic can do suddenly all falls apart.
    Saying "There's magic, thus a fatass that most likely has no cardio and would get severe knee pain running around in huge amounts of armor and gear shouldn't be an issue!" lets you say "There's magic, everyone should be able to fly!"
    And yet there is not written anywhere there cant be so either.


    Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    Yes, there is magic. But that still doesn't remove gravity. If you look at the spells in game non of them are very long or sustained. For a fatass to run around like a fit 18 year old it'd take lots of magic.
    Nah, its called fantasy, not magic
    X:"Echo?"
    Echo: "What?
    X:"Echo?"
    Echo: "What?!"
    X: "Nothing"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •