Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Blademaster
    15+ Year Old Account

Reasons to play ToR

Hi there,

I have just tried the beta of ToR thanks to a key from curse. I don't really enjoy WoW anymore, so I wanted to try something else.

The lag on the beta was unbearable, so I decided to come here to ask a simple question:

For what reason are you going to buy/try ToR ?

EDIT: My point was not about the lag but about the reasons. I do know that lag occurred because the server are overfull on a weekend beta test.
    Last edited by WInddu; 2011-11-26 at 05:51 PM.
    http://rediscoverreading.wordpress.com/

Imagination is better than knowledge - Einstein

Oh, well mainly because I had an extra 60 bucks in my wallet and I wanna kill my social life. Maybe gain a few pounds and lose my girlfriend; the usual.

OT: Because it's an awesome game with amazing storylines, amazing stylistic graphics that makes it enjoyable to play, and because it is similar to WoW. I loved WoW before Cata, and I see no reason why I won't love a game LIKE WoW that's done well, which SW:TOR is.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    - Star Wars
    - Star Wars
    - Star Wars
    - Star Wars
    - Star Wars
    - Story
    - Zone-Phasing (no more waiting for Questmobs/items to respawn)
    - Star Wars
    - Lightsabers
    - Han Solo'esque Smugglers
    - Star Wars
    - Voice Acting for almost every Quest
    - Star Wars
    - no more elves, dwarfes, goblins, etc.

Just read Trollsbanes post : http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...arious-sources
    bucketloads of information there

10+ Year Old Account
    It's damn near tailor made for me based off what I like in games.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

I'm going to because of Star Wars Galaxies, which was the best game pre combat upgrade and NGE... But also because of the fact that its more story oriented and your choices determine what happens next. whereas WoW is just a grindfest for me...

Also when i played the beta i didn't have any problems with lag.. everything was smooth and i had a pretty great time playing. I guess you just had bad luck with that lag.

Personally I love the futuristic sci-fi environments to the medieval environments, so the SW landscape is more enjoyable to me.

Also I love Bioware storytelling. I've purchased both SWTOR books, and am really excited for game launch. Even if this game is only 8 different fully fledged intricate and enthralling stories and holds no other benefits I will enjoy all 8 storylines. Its just icing that they are working so hard on making pvp/endgame viable and enjoyable too!

TBH Kotor 3 would have my money in a heartbeat (If Bioware is developing it) so this game being that+online+ etc etc etc is just amazing.

I loved SWG, until it was obliterated by SOE (The day jedi were introduced IMHO) and I loved it mainly because of the story elements (Jabba's Palace questline was EPIC, Meeting and working for Vader was EPIC). But having played in two beta weekends, making it to 25 as a Jedi guardian and now to 8 as a BH so far, this game has hit every sweet spot for me.

you were lagging? i have 0 lag in the beta... anyways my reasons for playing...

-Crew skills (never need to farm another profession again, your companions do it for you)

-Awesome weapon customization (you can make a shitty low level weapon up to par with end game weapons if you want) You wont need an appearance tab with this.

-each class branches off into two different sub classes, each sub class has 3 talent trees. So for which ever class you pick, you pretty much have the option of playing every roll in almost any way you want (except for jedi knights/sith warriors they can only tank/dps)

-You can get your own star ship (and do space combat)

-Companions

- light sabers > swords, blasters > bows/crossbows/blunderbus

- Raids are said to provide every person in the group with loot, unlike with wow where you can go for weeks without actually getting an item.

- and did i mention crew skills (i know i did already)? Professions were the most boring part of WoW (IMO), and i always felt guilty because i did not want to spend the time leveling them. In SWTOR they level with you the only downfall to it is that you wont have your companion to help you out while your leveling your professions in the background.

- in pvp you respawn instantly, no more of that 20 second wait time at the spirit guide

- when you die you can call in a medical probe to revive you on spot and give you temporary stealth to get to a safe spot.

- Every class has a rez ability from level 1, and an ability to be summoned to the group.

- 4 man groups (easier to form groups)

- raids are with smaller groups aswell, so easier to form them.

I dont know why your lagging really bad, ive played for the last two beta weekends in SWTOR, ive had 60 fps and minimal lag issues. its by far the smoothest beta ive been in.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grantji View Post
    - Star Wars
    - Star Wars
    - Star Wars
    - Star Wars
    - Star Wars
    - Story
    - Star Wars
    - Lightsabers
    - Star Wars
    - Star Wars

Just read Trollsbanes post : http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...arious-sources
    bucketloads of information there
    I can't help but giggle at this post due to the "Star Wars x6" in the list (for irony, see my avatar).

I'm not making fun of it at all, mainly because this list looks similar to my reasons... but sadly I won't be right away because I don't want to pay to play 2 games at once

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure what server you're on... but i have not experienced any lag... at all...

To me TOR plays like a bigger, better, multiplayer Knights of the Old Republic more than a real MMO. But I think it's awesome & will most likely dual sub with WoW

Yeah if you look at the test servers right now they are mostly full. I'm pretty sure there will be more servers when its released. But I'll be honest I never thought I'd leave wow but after trying that game I might just finish up 4.3 and call it quits with blizzard. tor is looking pretty good so far especially the combat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because its fun. As simple as that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    Because its fun. As simple as that.
    And if they manage to create good endgame content this game will be very successful.
    It is absolutly fun. And the story is great! In the end it all comes down to endgame content.

For the moment i really enjoy it and will def. not refresh my wow sub.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alver View Post
    And if they manage to create good endgame content this game will be very successful.
    It is absolutly fun. And the story is great! In the end it all comes down to endgame content.

For the moment i really enjoy it and will def. not refresh my wow sub.
    If your interested in information about the games end game instancing.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ghlight=traces

Thread from some people who ran the raids at the end game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by brent0007 View Post
    you were lagging? i have 0 lag in the beta... anyways my reasons for playing...

-Crew skills (never need to farm another profession again, your companions do it for you)

-Awesome weapon customization (you can make a shitty low level weapon up to par with end game weapons if you want) You wont need an appearance tab with this.

-each class branches off into two different sub classes, each sub class has 3 talent trees. So for which ever class you pick, you pretty much have the option of playing every roll in almost any way you want (except for jedi knights/sith warriors they can only tank/dps)

-You can get your own star ship (and do space combat)

-Companions

- light sabers > swords, blasters > bows/crossbows/blunderbus

- Raids are said to provide every person in the group with loot, unlike with wow where you can go for weeks without actually getting an item.

- and did i mention crew skills (i know i did already)? Professions were the most boring part of WoW (IMO), and i always felt guilty because i did not want to spend the time leveling them. In SWTOR they level with you the only downfall to it is that you wont have your companion to help you out while your leveling your professions in the background.

- in pvp you respawn instantly, no more of that 20 second wait time at the spirit guide

- when you die you can call in a medical probe to revive you on spot and give you temporary stealth to get to a safe spot.

- Every class has a rez ability from level 1, and an ability to be summoned to the group.

- 4 man groups (easier to form groups)

- raids are with smaller groups aswell, so easier to form them.

I dont know why your lagging really bad, ive played for the last two beta weekends in SWTOR, ive had 60 fps and minimal lag issues. its by far the smoothest beta ive been in.
    Yes you re spawn instantly, but last time i checked u still had to fly in or some other gimmick which still ends up making u wait.

Reasons not to play TOR: they aren't releasing a mac client.
    I'll just replay KOTOR again to get it out of my system and then go back to dark souls.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bootcamp works if you want to go that route.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Yes you re spawn instantly, but last time i checked u still had to fly in or some other gimmick which still ends up making u wait.
    its better than jumping around like a tard waiting to get back into the fight. At least you can actually feel like your getting back to the fight instead of sitting around doing nothing lol.

---------- Post added 2011-11-26 at 06:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Elgand View Post
    Personally I love the futuristic sci-fi environments to the medieval environments, so the SW landscape is more enjoyable to me.

Also I love Bioware storytelling. I've purchased both SWTOR books, and am really excited for game launch. Even if this game is only 8 different fully fledged intricate and enthralling stories and holds no other benefits I will enjoy all 8 storylines. Its just icing that they are working so hard on making pvp/endgame viable and enjoyable too!

TBH Kotor 3 would have my money in a heartbeat (If Bioware is developing it) so this game being that+online+ etc etc etc is just amazing.

I loved SWG, until it was obliterated by SOE (The day jedi were introduced IMHO) and I loved it mainly because of the story elements (Jabba's Palace questline was EPIC, Meeting and working for Vader was EPIC). But having played in two beta weekends, making it to 25 as a Jedi guardian and now to 8 as a BH so far, this game has hit every sweet spot for me.
    IMO the introduction of the holocron jedi grind was the best thing ever, it gave people something to work hard for. The thing that destroyed SWG that bullshit NGE. The CU sucked, but at least there were still 30 different classes you could mix and match.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grantji View Post
    - Star Wars
    - Star Wars
    - Star Wars
    - Star Wars
    - Star Wars
    - Story
    - Star Wars
    - Lightsabers
    - Star Wars
    - Star Wars
    I just can't emphasize more, this is one of the reasons I'm buying it too.

And I've been playing WoW since beta, and the last few years has been really easy and really boring, so Star Wars is the new "up and coming" MMORPG imo.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Poshadin View Post
    To me TOR plays like a bigger, better, multiplayer Knights of the Old Republic more than a real MMO. But I think it's awesome & will most likely dual sub with WoW
    This pretty much. Did a couple of runs of the first instance(the black talon) first one went well and you could see how the players personalities came through on the dialogue choices. Second run I did was a lot more silly and we were really nasty to the crew members which was hilarious coupled with the party chat.

It isn't perfect but it is a very enjoyable game, personally haven't had any lag and only 1 crash in 5-6 hours gameplay which appeared to be caused by the game trying to patch whilst I was in it.

Oh also the heroic areas are awesome. Effectively like a cross between an elite mob world area and an instance(ie. some sections are instanced within that area) done 2 or 3 so far and they work out being group quests that take approximately 15 minutes to complete whilst not being too easy even for low level content(available first around level 7 IIRC)

Being realistic I remember a lot of lag issues, not to mention massive server queues in the first few months of WoW. A lot of people seem to claim it was perfect which is nonsense.
    Last edited by mmoccff815c062; 2011-11-27 at 01:53 AM.