Thread: TOR for MAC

TOR for MAC

So I already have a Mac (can't do anything about it) and I really want to play TOR, but it's only available for PCs.
    Anyone know of a way so I can run TOR on my Mac, besides "boot camp"? Because it seems you have to purchase a Windows OS to be able to use it, and that could be easily about 200 usd.
    Help guys?

10+ Year Old Account
    Besides boot camp I think you're SOL. Sorry.

10+ Year Old Account
    What more do you want us to say? It really is bootcamp and Windows or not at all.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, $99 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116986
    If you're a student, you can probably find it cheaper.

Boot Camp or Parallels are both excellent options, but yep, if you don't have a copy of Windows to install, you're not going to be able to run SW:TOR. Boot Camp is probably the better option, since basically you're just using your Mac as a Windows PC rather than emulating while running Mac OS X, but it's also a bit more of a pain to switch environments.

Have to think this is a bit of a missed opportunity by BioWare - yeah when they started working on SW:TOR Mac market share was probably like 5% but it's climbed to about 15% now. Blizzard certainly showed that having a native Mac client was viable in the MMO market space.

Running ToR on my mac (boot camp) and it runs amazingly well. Full settings, no lag. Almost better than my GF's PC . I would recommend the $200 for Windows for it. Plus there's a lot of games you can't play on a Mac, so it won't be $200 just for a game

I would prefer a native client myself, but I boot camp to Windows 7 Professional. I have not tried running the game in Parallels, but I might have to.

---------- Post added 2011-11-27 at 04:27 PM ----------

OK. Tried it with Parallels and it was actually pretty good. My base system is a 2009 i5 iMac, 2.66 Quad Core with 8G ram and a 4850M with 512. For my VM I created I gave Windows 7 5g ram, 3 cores, and the max of 256 video ram I was allowed. Still played at 2560x1440 but was averaging 18 instead of mid 20s
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

I was also wondering how to Play swtor on my mac. From what i've read in various forums, parallels seems to be a good choice if you have a decent mac.

I don't want to bootcamp just for the game, nor do i have a windows 7 licence and on Lion i can't bootcamp my Old xp Version.

---------- Post added 2011-12-13 at 10:00 AM ----------

I was also wondering how to Play swtor on my mac. From what i've read in various forums, parallels seems to be a good choice if you have a decent mac.

I don't want to bootcamp just for the game, nor do i have a windows 7 licence and on Lion i can't bootcamp my Old xp Version.

why do we always see pots like this for games Mac doesn't have? You CAN do something about it: Buy a PC. PC has be THE game platform for as long as I can remember. If your a gamer, you are a PC. The end.

Deleted
    whats up with all the people linking stores where you can buy windows. never heard of torrents ay?

Do not encourage piracy. Infracted -Conscript
    Last edited by conscript; 2011-12-13 at 11:28 AM.

Deleted
    Can't people with the iComputers just uninstall their OS and get Windows 7/8?

Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    why do we always see pots like this for games Mac doesn't have? You CAN do something about it: Buy a PC. PC has be THE game platform for as long as I can remember. If your a gamer, you are a PC. The end.
    Nah, see we only have to suffer Windows for certain games. Great companies, like many of those available through Steam (ever here of Valve) or Blizzard support the platform natively. However there are those few hold outs, mostly known for their football games, who branch out and miss natively supporting OS X. For those, we simply boot into Windows (a free feature other than buying the Windows 7 disc) or run it through a Virtual Machine. Its real fun running Windows in a Window - it and the games run within don't even know they are in a window.

Then for me there is this part of having a 2560x1440 IPS display to play on... and not having some silly box nearby with cables all over the place.
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ZEROWASHU View Post
    Nah, see we only have to suffer Windows for certain games. Great companies, like many of those available through Steam (ever here of Valve) or Blizzard support the platform natively. However there are those few hold outs, mostly known for their football games, who branch out and miss natively supporting OS X. For those, we simply boot into Windows (a free feature other than buying the Windows 7 disc) or run it through a Virtual Machine. Its real fun running Windows in a Window - it and the games run within don't even know they are in a window.

Then for me there is this part of having a 2560x1440 IPS display to play on... and not having some silly box nearby with cables all over the place.
    I'm not trying to start a flamewar, but why exactly do you prefer Mac over PC or Linux?