Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    No matter how many players will use the RMAH, the potential worth of items can be fixed by incredible rarity of an item. Think something like a drop chance of 1 in a billion from a boss kill. Or even lower. These items still will be worth hundreds and thousands of dollars.

Deleted
    It's simple supply and demand. Also, since when is competition a bad thing? The consumer could scarcely hope for anything better..

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post

Honestly, I think the RMAH might prove to be a massive disaster as everything is going to be literally nickels and dimes and nobody's going to make any money due to there being so much damn competition in the same place. Sure, it's great for the gamer - but is it really going to be that profitable for Blizz when people are spending pennies instead of dollars? And how will people react when they're literally only getting pennies instead of dollars for their work?
    1. It will only be a disaster for the people planning to make significant money from it, without considering the RMAH is an enormous experiment which Blizzard is facilitating. No one knows how it will turn-out, so no one should be counting their chickens...

2. It will be profitable for Blizzard because people will be "buying" credits in multi-dollar amounts, e.g. $10, $25, etc. and Blizz will be getting their percentage at that time. Blizz won't be trying to make a profits from the sale of something costing 5-cents...

3. How people react will be the $65,000 question. I believe this is why Blizz is trying this = to see if they can use it in future games.

People can argue till they are blue in the face, but until you "run it up the flagpole, and see who salutes..." no one knows how the cards will fall.

I'm really curious to see how it goes, because we will be seeing a lot more of this if it is popular with players.
    Last edited by Yseraboy; 2011-11-30 at 12:51 AM.
    I take some solace in the fact that even though my snarky reply to someone's condescending rhetorical question earned me a 1-week ban, my post was not deleted. I was rather proud of that bit of snark, and I am glad it lives on.

Quote Originally Posted by Yseraboy View Post
    1. It will only be a disaster for the people planning to make significant money from it, without considering the RMAH is an enormous experiment which Blizzard is facilitating. No one knows how it will turn-out, so no one should be counting their chickens...

2. It will be profitable for Blizzard because people will be "buying" credits in multi-dollar amounts, e.g. $10, $25, etc. and Blizz will be getting their percentage at that time. Blizz won't be trying to make a profits from the sale of something costing 5-cents...

3. How people react will be the $65,000 question. I believe this is why Blizz is trying this = to see if they can use it in future games.

People can argue till they are blue in the face, but until you "run it up the flagpole, and see who salutes..." no one knows how the cards will fall.

I'm really curious to see how it goes, because we will be seeing a lot more of this if it is popular with players.
    Just one thing. Not a percentage, a flat fee. They will make a little money regardless of the prices, which is the point of them doing a flat fee instead of a percentage. The only thing that affects their profits is the amount of people actively using the system.

Also, a thing to remember, is that the items that are being bought and sold are being traded in a real currency, if you look at the WoW market, its competitive, but its not based on real people money, people will be alot more careful when playing the market when there own money is at stake. There is no actual conversion rate with WoW gold, like 1 USD = 500g or whatever, and it is really hard to even get a rough exhange rate, because prices differ between Realms, and again by faction. So it is difficult to compare WoW auction house market with the Diablo market.

One more thing,regarding the making and spending of mere pennies, it all comes down to the fact that you need money to make moeny. If your out there with alot of money to throw around, and play the "market" well enough , you could make decent money maybe, depending on the amount of cash you put into it, and the amount of time you have to be monitoring everything.
    {◕ ◡ ◕}

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post

Honestly, I think the RMAH might prove to be a massive disaster as everything is going to be literally nickels and dimes and nobody's going to make any money due to there being so much damn competition in the same place. Sure, it's great for the gamer - but is it really going to be that profitable for Blizz when people are spending pennies instead of dollars? And how will people react when they're literally only getting pennies instead of dollars for their work?

What say you all?
    I don't see that as a problem, I kinda think it's the point. Sure there may be some drops that could sell for a couple of hundred quid but I'm expecting most items will go for less than a fiver. Like someone said Blizz will be taking a flat fee on listing and sales (with pay-pal or whoever their real-money partner is taking more for cashing out) so nickels-and-dimes would probably work out better for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    Don't forget that that means there's 100 times more potential buyers. Increasing the size of a market like this doesn't really have the changes you want to think it does.
    Well, it probably would flatten out (shrink) the Standard deviation (because of the 'sqrt n law / Standard error').

--

If 99.9% of the people expect to make profit. And only 0.01% of the people is willing to invest extra money for loot -- most of them not willing to pay more than 50 bucks, then obviously it will become hard to make profit if the fixed cost (the price of the game) is ~50/60 bucks pp.

Please note that my data is purely hypothetical, but I hope you understand what I am trying to point out.

I do not expect to make more than ~1 euro (if I'm lucky), but this doesn't imply that the RMA turns out to be a flop. But I wouldn't get my hopes up on making 50+ bucks. But hey, I guess we shall see in a few months, and I might be proven wrong.

Wait so your issue with the RMAH is that your afraid Blizzard wont make enough money off of it?

On a related note, there seems to be something wrong with the whole philosophy of taxing pixels. Didn't Eve Online abandon a similar 'real money bank' system because then it would fall under standard bank regulations?