Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    It's a flashy deal mean't to lock you in before you could really know how awesome swtor is. They'll pull a similar tactic when GW2 is launching, probably a content patch. I find it no different from massive cell phone contracts for fresh college students. Sure it's legal, but I frown upon it. I didn't even consider the deal as I won't be playing D3 due to the real money AH.
    Oh bull. People shouldn't enter into contract without thinking ahead. If they choose to impulse purchase anything, be it a car, cat, or house, they should realize that contracts are not meant to be broken and that sometimes you learn the hard way.

And SWTOR is not all that. It's not bad but it's not that great either. So stop blaming Blizz for the failings of your friends to read and understand a contract.

It's a flashy deal mean't to lock you in before you could really know how awesome swtor is. They'll pull a similar tactic when GW2 is launching, probably a content patch. I find it no different from massive cell phone contracts for fresh college students. Sure it's legal, but I frown upon it. I didn't even consider the deal as I won't be playing D3 due to the real money AH.
    Hyperbole hurts your argument.

It was a "flashy" deal meant to tie-down your money before competing games debuted.

I have zero sympathy for people who clicked-through all the warnings about it being 1-year, binding obligation.

That wasn't something hidden in the fine print.

They offered people a deal with strings-attached.

Complaining about the strings after you agreed to them is just childish.
    I take some solace in the fact that even though my snarky reply to someone's condescending rhetorical question earned me a 1-week ban, my post was not deleted. I was rather proud of that bit of snark, and I am glad it lives on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let them play what they want to play. Show them TOR, if they like it they'll play it :P.

Quote Originally Posted by kritisk View Post

And SWTOR is not all that. It's not bad but it's not that great either. So stop blaming Blizz for the failings of your friends to read and understand a contract.
    Strongly agree.
    I take some solace in the fact that even though my snarky reply to someone's condescending rhetorical question earned me a 1-week ban, my post was not deleted. I was rather proud of that bit of snark, and I am glad it lives on.

Yes, it’s a way for them to make money but they are a games company and in the end that’s that is there main goal is. Besides, I have played SWTOR and despite my love for Bioware and the SW universe I found it far from awesome...

Quote Originally Posted by looopy View Post
    They all took the bait and wanted diablo 3 so they signed up for 12 months of WoW but now they are all weary to try SWTOR. Unfortunately they were unable to participate in the beta so they have no way of demoing the game and basically no one wants to pay 2 sub fees. What do I tell them to convince them to get this awesome game?!?! Bioware 10 day trial PLS!
    Are you sure they will find it awesome? Not everyone is going to fall in love with the game and be instantly hooked to tor like many people seem to think. Either way, they could try playing both games if they can afford it but it won’t surprise me if they add a 10 day trial thing sometime after the release.

If your friends want to play TOR, they will.

It seems you have fallen prey to the same problem most people who post on the forums fall to. Just because you want to play TOR, doesn't mean the rest of us do.

There are plenty of us that are going to continue to play WoW. We don't want to play TOR. A 1 year deal with WoW is good for us. Go play TOR. Have a blast. Just stop assuming that the rest of us that aren't following you are somehow misguided sheep. We just don't want to play TOR.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx View Post
    Blizzard is a conglomerate that through lower sub numbers has raised revenue. They're not stupid, they're just not catering to you.
    Yes yes, I know, the sky just bonked you on the head, casuals are taking over the government, and some baddie just got a raid drop... I think you'll live.

http://darisdroppings.wordpress.com

15+ Year Old Account
    They can continue playing WoW for 12 months and get a free game they want.

OR

They can spend $60 for a game they might not even like.

I'd suggest that you let them wait for a free trial.

You can do considerable research about the Annual Pass, nothing was hidden from anyone, all the terms and conditions were laid out in the simplest way possible. In exchange for a year of brand loyalty you receive an upcoming AAA title game which we'll consider a $59.99 release price. You receive a unique mount that not many people will have in comparison to the Winged Guardian or Celestial Steed due to the contract requirement but even still we'll figure the price the same at $25.00. Immediate induction into the Mists of Pandaria beta is open for opinion and speculation of worth as it varies from person to person, I personally sold my beta rights to Wrath of the Lich King and Burning Crusade for more gold than was socially responsible to own.

Assuming the least economical subscription plan of 14.99 per month recurring, that means after the goodies are subtracted, you're getting a year of World of Warcraft for USD94.89, and if you didn't want the goodies in the first place, there was really no point in signing the contract.

And all of this was never forced upon anyone, and contained numerous "Are you suuuuuure?" checkpoints throughout the entire sign up process. If people are adult enough to sign contracts, then you should also be adult enough to not cry foul and underhanded shady business dealings on a ridiculously up-front and honest offer. If they know enough to sign up for the Annual Pass then I'm willing to bet they're also aware of The Old Republic and Guild Wars 2 and Skyrim and every other title coming out that is / was / will TOTALLY "kill" World of Warcraft.

Tell your friends to man up and pay for the game fee. Or tell them to use their 5-6 hours of time working to get the money to pay for it instead of complaining about not being able to afford it.

It's not blizz's fault they signed the contract.

About the subscription:

If you use the subscription for at least 7 months and want D3 (50-60$) and mount (10$) of course, you don't lose money (or not much, did just a rapid calculation maybe it is 8 months).
    If you use it less than 7 months you lose money.
    If you use it more than 7 months you win money.

That is what this agreement is about, people should think 2 minutes before agreeing to a contract seriously...

For me I took it, I won't buy SWToR 1st day, I will wait to see when the shiny leveling experience dies out 2 months after release and how the game will look. I also want to finish 4.3 heroic raids so let's say 3 to 4 months into this patch... I'm already at 2 months into the contract so yeah I am guaranteed to pay at least 6 months of WoW, the 7th months isn't very far from that.

Use it as an example of what people thought process should be to decide whether or not you should take the deal.

I think that's what Blizz were hoping for tbh.

Maybe you could just play WoW and make light sabre noises on Vent. More or less the same thing. ^_^

Or maybe you could just play both, then see what SW is really like at end game. If it goes the way of every other WoW killer, your friends haven't wasted their money as well. If SW becomes really popular, you can show them the ropes when they play it.

Let them play what they want to play?
    This is my signature. You will now remember me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Throrion View Post
    Let them play what they want to play?
    This defo.

15+ Year Old Account
    This is why you never sign any thing over 3 months, i thought i was going to play for at least 6 months in Cataclysm, i was wrong and lost money with that, if you wanted to play Diablo 3 you just had to buy it.

But its not like wow need you to play more than one night per week anyway..

Chances are the OPs friends are not as enthusiastic about The Old Republic as he is and have only been giving him pale reassurances that they were totally going to play, and found a convenient out. I know the majority of my friends are all foaming for The Old Republic and Guild Wars 2 but I'm certainly not, and they know better than to ask or assume.

All of the Blizzard is an evil company and "You only need to play WoW for an hour to do everything ever" is charming, though. I'm sure the same people will be vehemently defending all of the inane microtransaction items they include while still decrying Blizzard for doing the same.

The year long plan was a scheme and downright dirty of Blizzard.

I've convinced a few by asking them to speak with their thoughts, by ninjaing out of the contract and letting their money do the talking. I'm very happy to join whatever number of players switch. The company should be loyal to their fans. Keyword should
    How it is dirty ? Blizzard is offering a CROSS PROMOTION just like any other business does. They are not forcing you to sign up for it in any way. If you don't realize what you are agreeing to when you sign up for it, it means you didn't actually read anything about it and just saw "FREE STUFF".

I have tested SWTOR and while it is a good game, it does not offer that much difference from WoW, it is merely just a different universe, albeit with some gameplay changes, but still.

If I decide to pickup SWTOR, I will play both. If I somehow get hooked on it and take a break from WoW, history has taught me that I will always go back to WoW eventually, but most likely I will raid on WoW on raid nights, and play SWTOR the rest of the time. The only problem I will have is when Diablo 3 comes out and the fact there are only 24 hours in a day to play!!

Show them the trailer of pandaland. If they still want to stay in wow you should get older friends instead.
    English is not my main language so grammar errors might happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefastus View Post
    Show them the trailer of pandaland. If they still want to stay in wow you should get older friends instead.
    So just because they may like somthing you do not, you should get new friends? Kinda hallow way of going around that...

Anyone who signs up for 12 months of anything is kind of stupid. 12 months is a long as time for things to change negatively.

Hell, 12 months ago I was excited for Cataclysm.

In signing a 1 year contract with blizzard, you are banking on the game staying the same or getting better. What a gamble. Pets and cutsy things aside, you're committing and fully believing that blizzard will keep you entertained for the duration, regardless of how long you've already been paying.

I have no intention of buying diablo 3, so it makes even less sense for me to subscribe to a service I frequently complain about (obviously I'm not the only one, regardless of your hate-filled response to my blizzard-infidelity).

Only today I read the following, snub-filled derisive and usual blizzard posts towards its userbase;

"If you wish to continue the discussion, please do so with the Code of Conduct in mind and with civility."
    Hey guess what, you locked the thread, so I can't "continue the discussion...with the code of conduct in mind and with civility"

"This actually shows how little you are aware of the situation. We regularly see players arguing the opposite, claiming we constantly 'cave' to forum QQ."

Whoa, excuse me for being so misguided my lord. These are the milder, easiest ones I bothered to look up.

The bottom line is I don't know of any other reputable company (gaming or otherwise) where employees are able to talk down to their player-base (as customers they're going to complain anyway, so there's nothing unique there, only blizzard's response).

So why should I commit to a relationship with the bitch that blizzard is?

As for trying SWTOR, curse was offering beta keys, EA was offering beta keys. It was stupid easy to get one, and I suspect you can still get them for weekend testers.

I won't say SWTOR beta v1 blows WOW cataclysm v999999 out of the water, but I liked SWTOR more than RIFT and STO. When it comes out, I will absolutely buy it and probably drop my wow subscription since all my friends quit anyways.

Once last comparison;

On blizz ptr glitches/fails (such as pws absorbing the same amount as wotlk when cata came out) go reported but uncorrected. Not quite sure what PTR is for?

On SWTOR beta you are routinely surveyed for information and it's non-intrusive;
    Things like "What are you doing right now?"
    "How would you rate your latency? fps? storyline?"

You get messages in game of actual tests being conducted ("We're performing a stress test, everyone open up the knowledgebase and search for lightsaber")

Like, do you even SEE the amount of attention and care Bioware gives its users? Granted its Beta versus PTR, but Blizzard beta's usually become live so case in point. You may begin raging about my blasphemous attitude.
    Last edited by Apexeon; 2011-11-27 at 10:03 PM.