Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I believe the word is nagging.
    Aiguille <3

The same reason they're more likely to commit violent crimes. Men are more likely to take big action, even if that means violence, even violence against themselves. Blame testosterone.

Quote Originally Posted by eternalwhitemoon View Post
    I think society's demands of men to be "strong" and to not need help have a lot to do with it. I also think it's possible that they would choose more violent methods. I don't think it's just one factor at play in this.
    This. Men are "supposed" to be strong and deal with problems. Where a guy might be having problems with his life, he'll keep it to himself... A woman is probably more likely to confide in friends or relatives.

Men are supposed to just deal with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    /facepalm, the question was "Why are suicide rates so much higher in men than woman?".
    and your answer is the method used is better? /sigh really?

OT: The REAL reason, is that men are secondary and expendable in todays fema-first society of politically enforced sexism against men.
    Woman are more then equal in areas of family courts, availability of medical treatment, and mental treatment, government programs to get a boost in life, education and sports in those institutions.
    I speak only the truth. Try to say I am wrong, I triple dog dare you.
    You do realize, the World Health Organization defines suicide rate as the total rate of deaths officially recorded as suicide. Suicide rate does not take into account attempts, only deaths. Method is the leading cause for the disparity, not gender-biased societies. Somehow I don't think Iran has 3 times as many recorded suicides in males than in women because they have government programs in place. Hell, for every female that takes her life in Bahrain, 10 men do. Women only just got the right to vote nationally in 2002 there.

So, you're wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty272 View Post
    49% of all babies born are female.
    51% of all babies born are male.

Its the leftovers killing themselves!
    Somehow I have a feeling I have been stuck in that 2% most of my life.

lol

"One of the most perplexing facts about suicide is that women attempt suicide at a substantially higher rate than do men, but more men succeed in ending their lives. Suicide is the eighth leading cause of death in the United States; in 1992, men in the U.S. completed suicide at a rate of 20.1 per 100,000 individuals, compared with the much lower female rate of 4.7 per 100,000 people... For suicide attempts the opposite is the case: women attempt suicide three times as frequently as men."

http://www.tgchrysalis.com/Suicide_and_Gender.htm

basically, women try to do it far more often, but men are just better at it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Because men tend to use guns or other means that tend to do the job quick and dirty. Women tend to use ODs, and that has a higher "failure" rate.
    It also has a lot to do with the way women and men are treated (in "civilized" countries mind you) in that women are generally treated with more respect than men, but not always by way of common courtesy. People will generally go out of their way, or make a "big deal", to prevent woman from committing suicide. Men won't want to help other men with their "problems" and women feel the same way. A woman wouldn't want to get stuck with a "fixerupper" man because generally (and stereotypically) woman have it easier when it comes to life. Because of this sense of "easier success" the "logic" to commit suicide may seem weak. A woman committing suicide is unscrupulously looked at as a cry for attention, and it hurts me to say it's kinda right.

Women also have a "certain" self-destructive mentality, that most men don't, which practically prevents them from purposely offing themself. When a man has this mentality it usually gets him killed because men behave towards each other differently than they do towards woman with this mentality. Now, I'm not saying women with this mentality wouldn't go after each other, but people would take a greater step to prevent such a thing. Ironically it usually takes the opposite sex to stop the same gender from tearing each other apart.

People like to tell other people how they should act, but they'd rather look through a mirror than a glass pane.

<insertbadsuicidebomberjoke>
    Last edited by ImpTaimer; 2011-11-27 at 08:19 PM.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

Ever been married? I am guessing you havent since you had to ask this question lol.

Because men are better at it, and if women would just stop being horrible at everything they'd be killing themselves in equal numbers. Once they do that, they might have an argument with this whole equality thing.

Simple answer. Woman are why men kill themselves. Trust me i know.

I would have thought Woman so I don't know.

Because its way easier for men to marry women than for women to marry woman. If it was equal the female suicide rate would become notably higher.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I kind of want to kill myself now...meh, maybe tomorrow. Too lazy right now. Back to WoW.

Didn't know it ws more common with men commiting suicide, what I've heard its the opposit.
    As far as Gary Speed goes.... it's not uncommon that retired athlets have a hard time finding their place in the world after their active carers.

Both men and women have things that could be bothersome... men bottling up their emotions/feelings can't be healthy, if you are feeling down or are in pschyological distress you need to vent and get support, men tend to hide things like that a lot more then women therefor getting less outside help.

10+ Year Old Account
    The women are the cause of the mens suicide

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Narcotix729 View Post
    I kind of want to kill myself now...meh, maybe tomorrow. Too lazy right now. Back to WoW.
    This made me laugh. I feel terrible now... I guess I'll go play some WoW too.

Men are generally more violent than women. Men are more likely to go to prison and become serial killers than women too. By the way OP I love the first 2 quotes in your sig

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ronfar View Post
    Men are generally more violent than women. Men are more likely to go to prison and become serial killers than women too. By the way OP I love the first 2 quotes in your sig
    More violent? Hell no. More physically violent? Yes. Woman are dangerously mentally/psychologically violent compared to men.

Deleted
    Because women are the reason men top themselves. Ever heard of a woman killing herself over a guy? no.

Whereas she will make you fall in love with her, you'll give her everything for years then suddenly, you'll wake up one day, and she's changed her mind. Then the next thing you know, she's gone and you have nothing. You have no reason to live, no motivation, no one to fall back on when you've had a shit day, no one to just listen to you and nobody to love. So why would you want to go on living like that? If you'd even call it living with a gaping hole in your chest. It's hell. It is the pure definition of hell and there's only one way out. But you try to carry on, you try to show her what she means to you and what you could be together, but no, she has none of it. You try for 10 months but each time she just turns you away and you go home and drink yourself to sleep because trying to sleep with a sober mind filled with thoughts is impossible. You just want it all to stop.
    Last edited by mmoc1252a3496d; 2011-11-27 at 08:27 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by ImpTaimer View Post
    More violent? Hell no. More physically violent? Yes. Woman are dangerously mentally/psychologically violent compared to men.
    Yup. Men tend to do more of the violent outbursts, which is a large reason why they have a significantly higher rate of successful suicide. They explode then blow their brains out or someone else's while seeing red. Women tend to go for the subtle things such as drugs and poisons, for both homicides and suicides.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation