Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Why men have a larger suicide rate?

Wait sorry, is this not 9GAG?

<Infracted: don't post meme pictures>
    Last edited by Maharishi; 2011-11-27 at 08:51 PM.
    I don't care if WoW steals ideas from another game. I just wish they'd steal aoe looting.

Deleted
    Just echoing what's been previously said, societal expectations of men are much, much higher.

We have to be strong and successful.
    Gotta get a high-paying job, gotta get a car, a house, a wife, children.
    Man is an island, he must weather the storms of life and remain steadfast and calm.
    If we have problems we need to man up and deal with them.
    Overcome with stress and emotion? Stop crying, man up and grow a pair.

Shit like this is drilled into us since childhood.
    Naturally a lot of people crack under that sort of pressure.
    It's even worse if you happen to be gay (The phrase "Kill yourself, do it faggot" is one I've heard too much on the internet)
    A woman seeking help for her emotional problems is much more well received than a man. (Hurr man up pussy)

You're also looked down upon for having no job or a "Low Status" job.
    Not to be sexist but nobody cares if a woman doesn't have a great job, they can marry into money.
    Society doesn't expect anything of women. They have no expectations or pressures placed upon them.

I'm all for equality between the sexes but you never hear feminists talking about the serious issue of male suicide rates.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm all for equality between the sexes but you never hear feminists talking about the serious issue of male suicide rates.
    This, and it should be renamed Female Supremacy. I believe in complete equality for all genders, orientations and nationalities but men do have it pretty rough in society. I'm a recently outed Gay and having to suppress so many different emotions and mannerisms in life or otherwise be branded a "Faggot Pussy" has taken its toll in more ways then one. I can't say I've ever seriously contemplated suicide but from a homosexual standpoint its no mystery to me why it happens.

Men that beat their women are scum of the earth. Yet somehow women that mentally abuse their husbands are always put in some sort of comedic tone fit for a Tyler Perry movie. Hmmm...

Deleted
    Wow. What century are some of you people living in?

No pressure on women? Oh no, none at all. Just supposed to balance career, family, social life and look smokin' hot 24/7. Most of the women I know are the main bread winners in their house. At the little place where I work, 3 of us have put our men through university/retraining recently.

Previous posts that men are more successful at suicide are very true. But why do men and women do it differently? Are ODs a call for help? Women tend to have better social support systems than men. So, do women at their breaking point try to OD knowing deep down they will be rescued? Do men at their lowest point see no possible way out so make sure they get the job done properly?

And guys, just because you've had a couple of bad break ups don't start resenting my whole gender! Find yourself a partner, an equal.

Quote Originally Posted by Klog View Post
    This thread is depressing in itself.
    The truth is depressing? stfu moron, go live your life trying to be better than other people chaseing cheese

Infracted, post respectfully.
    Last edited by Maharishi; 2011-11-27 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Because men tend to use guns or other means that tend to do the job quick and dirty. Women tend to use ODs, and that has a higher "failure" rate.
    This should have been /thread. But we can elaborate a little bit more since everyone seems to want to conjecture on their own opinions.

Men have significantly more SUCCESSFUL suicides than women because their method of suicide is much more effective (firearms, typically). Women actually have a higher rate of attempted suicide than males. They just tend to choose methods that are less sure (drug overdose is the major method).

http://www.cdc.gov/ViolencePreventio...ataSheet-a.pdf

There's a summary from the Center for Disease Control's annual data collection. Look into the annual reports if you want more detail. I did a lot of literature review in undergrad on Alaskan indigenous and American native populations and why their suicide rates were so much higher than every other population group in the Americas. It's pretty astounding the differences that support systems, cultural influence and location can have on suicidal tendencies.

Another interesting statistic from the CDC's gun violence (homicide,suicide) report in the early 2000s was that Washington D.C., city with a history of firearm bans (no handguns allowed in homes, no assault weapons period at the time), was at a significantly higher homicide and suicide rate by firearms than the rest of the country. That doesn't factor for laws and access concerns in all of the states surrounding D.C. It is definitely some evidence that gun control doesn't necessarily translate to reduced gun violence.
    Last edited by Projali; 2011-11-27 at 09:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lets cut the gender war right now, and try to stay objective. Otherwise this'll be locked fast.

Men (Typically) are considered to be the more emotionless sex, while women are the emotive sex.

This means what women who are (typically) more expressive about their issues can get more support, and advice from friends and family. Men (again, typically) who must lead the house-hold, pay the bills, and deal with life in a masculine way are bottling all that up, and thus leading to a majorly damaging overload.

I know these are massive generalisations, but unfortunately they're fairly correct across the board, from both what I know & hear.

I personally (as a male) don't like to show my emotions to much, not because I want to be a man, but because I don't want those around me (my loved ones) to also be put down by it. I'll listen, help, assist & then when alone throw a few punches at the wall or something, vent out the tension (in a good way) during sex & from time to time snuggle up in a nice warm bed, and snuggle with my misses.

As for what someone else has said regarding the use of Guns & Pills (Male & Female respectively) this is also fairly true from what I know. I've unfortunately in my short life so far (21 years old) known several suicides of close family & friends, and many more attempts, along with what I hear from friends, females do tend to use more chemical / medical based products to kill (or attempt to) themselves, while men seem to jump off buildings, infront of trains or shoot themselves.

Cheery subject, just before I scoot off to bed.
    Last edited by Hyve; 2011-11-27 at 09:18 PM. Reason: 900 Posts! \o/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Projali View Post
    This should have been /thread. But we can elaborate a little bit more since everyone seems to want to conjecture on their own opinions.

Men have significantly more SUCCESSFUL suicides than women because their method of suicide is much more effective (firearms, typically). Women actually have a higher rate of attempted suicide than males. They just tend to choose methods that are less sure (drug overdose is the major method).
    Only if men's suicide+suicide attempt<women suicide+suicide attempt. I guess it's true though. Your research was not in readable form.

Deleted
    Like many others already said, society pressures men much more than women.
    Man = working machine, no emotions
    Woman = sweet honey who can cry at any mans shoulder

I find it almost comically sad that people are already trying to lessen the blow by saying that women have higher suicide attempts...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    The evidence for leprechauns is immense - do you know how many socks dissappear on the world scale... This means that the chance of leprechauns exists is the same as them not existing - therefore you cannot deny their existence

Deleted
    Probably because women seek comfort and support from the people they're close with. They will talk about their problems and that can help a lot.

Men are more selfcentered and headstrong. They keep their problems more to themselves. And with a problem big enough, that can lead to commiting suicide.
    If you don't easily talk about your problems, there is nobody to change your mind. Also men are known to use direct approaches to their problems. And what's a more direct approach than to kill yourself if you truly don't see a solution to your problem?

I'm not certain but if I remember the statistics for attempted suicide among men and woman are closer than those who actually end up killing themselves. This is because woman tend to try and poison themselves (reversible). And men often use firearms (irreversible in most cases).

Suicide by: Males (%) Females (%)
    Firearms 56 30
    Suffocation 24 21
    Poisoning 13 40

Also I would wager that men are much less likely to seek help for depression than women.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    Probably because women seek comfort and support from the people they're close with. They will talk about their problems and that can help a lot.

Men are more selfcentered and headstrong. They keep their problems more to themselves. And with a problem big enough, that can lead to commiting suicide.
    If you don't easily talk about your problems, there is nobody to change your mind. Also men are known to use direct approaches to their problems. And what's a more direct approach than to kill yourself if you truly don't see a solution to your problem?
    Yeah I wouldn't call that self centred, I would call it 'Hammered in since you were 2 that men man up and don't talk about their emotions because they don't really exist'.

When we stop grooming males to be this way, maybe then it'll drop because people can actually share their emotions. You'd think with the anonymous nature of the internet that it'd happen here, but people just get trolled and the internet usually makes it a whole lot worse.
    Cho’Gall: Cairne Bloodhoof is dead? Did we kill him?
    Deathwing: No. The Grimtotems weakened him with poison, and then Garrosh accidentally hacked him to death with an axe during a heated political discussion.
    Cho’Gall: How do you accidentally kill someone with an axe?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdruidelf View Post

When we stop grooming males to be this way, maybe then it'll drop because people can actually share their emotions. You'd think with the anonymous nature of the internet that it'd happen here, but people just get trolled and the internet usually makes it a whole lot worse.
    I would guess this will almost never happen. Men had to be like this for the last 10,000+ years. Its not a habit that's going to disappear in a few generations.

Quote Originally Posted by Grishnok View Post
    Because men have to deal with women.

A womans greatest obstacle in life is material possession.
    A mans greatest obstacle in life is a woman.

nuff said.

<Infracted: Gender bashing isn't allowed>
    where is the like button?

Why are Men more suicidal?

Short Answer = Women.

Long Answer = Women.

Most shit in my Life i can deal with, the only time I've ever been truly depressed was when Women have fucked me around.
    Last edited by Pool of the Dead; 2011-11-28 at 12:59 AM.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

As far as I know, Women have a higher suicide attempt rate than Men.

(Insert joke about Women never finishing things and Men knowing how to get the job done).
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

Quote Originally Posted by saberon View Post
    As far as I know, Women have a higher suicide attempt rate than Men.

(Insert joke about Women never finishing things and Men knowing how to get the job done).
    :O someone with me in their signature.

Now I hath no reason to ever die!
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

Sigh.

Over the course of my 44 years on this planet, I have, to my great sorrow, had 4 friends and family members successfully commit suicide. All 4 were women, including my own mother. 2 of them took prescription drug overdoses. 1 of them shot herself in the head. The 4th ran a hose from the exhaust pipe of her pickup truck into the cab.

It is an absolutely horrible thing, and pure hell for the people left behind, especially when it's somebody close to you. In my opinion, it would be far more productive to try to find better ways to help and support all people suffering from severe depression, rather than idly obsess over such stupidity as which gender is "better" at it.