Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerath View Post
    "Real men don't cry" kind of garbage that boys are taught
    well

would you respect me if I told you I tried to kill myself by overdosing because I lost my raid spot at one point? Because I bet you that half of this forum would be lining up to call me pathetic and childish, all while trying to pull some psycho-analytic rabble out of their ass and assuming that I am a basement geek virgin with terrible acne problems and a receding hairline.

But maybe that's just me.

Men are competitive by nature, and sometimes they just don't have what it takes to compete. Whether it's the size of their penis, how many skanks they've slept with, their rig, how many chainsaws they can juggle, the car they drive or the job they have.... just doesn't measure up to their idea of competitive.

Sometimes you're just a champion trapped inside a creature that doesn't have the aptitude to match, and it's crippling, terrifying reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    Sometimes you're just a champion trapped inside a creature that doesn't have the aptitude to match, and it's crippling, terrifying reality.
    *tear drop* that.. was so.. beautiful...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    The evidence for leprechauns is immense - do you know how many socks dissappear on the world scale... This means that the chance of leprechauns exists is the same as them not existing - therefore you cannot deny their existence

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say because men are taught to be stoic and bottle up all their emotions. Women on the other hand, are not. There is also this feeling that as a man, you are supposed to do everything right, and that you really don't have anyone to talk to. If you have really good friends, they will listen if you talk to them, but in general it feels like you just aren't supposed to discuss your emotions. In the end, you start to feel worthless and then you start to think about your worth. It's rather difficult to recover once you've started down that path.

That's how I view it anyways, I could be horribly wrong, but those are my observations.

I can't really comment on the female perspective though, since I'm not female.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    well

would you respect me if I told you I tried to kill myself by overdosing because I lost my raid spot at one point? Because I bet you that half of this forum would be lining up to call me pathetic and childish, all while trying to pull some psycho-analytic rabble out of their ass and assuming that I am a basement geek virgin with terrible acne problems and a receding hairline.

But maybe that's just me.

Men are competitive by nature, and sometimes they just don't have what it takes to compete. Whether it's the size of their penis, how many skanks they've slept with, their rig, how many chainsaws they can juggle, the car they drive or the job they have.... just doesn't measure up to their idea of competitive.

Eehh, that's not really what I'm talking about in my post. At all, actually.
    Men are competitive, that's a given, and a leftover survival trait I suppose.
    But being competitive and being able to express your emotions without being derided by your peers, aren't necessarily mutually exclusive things.
    (Also, it is possible to express your emotions without reducing yourself to a blubbering, wailing mess every time life doesn't quite go the way you want it, there is a middle ground).
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Deleted
    men tend to go through with it, womans dont always
    gay men kill themselves after getting bullied and lesbian woman dont get bullied as much?
    woman fail more while trying to kill themselves
    men bear some different kind of emotion in the subconcious because they dont/cant out it like woman do
    I think there are more men on earth than woman but Im not sure
    u can just make alot of reasons up:P

Women fail a lot more often. They take the slow route where there is more of a chance someone will notice and stop it from happening or do something where it's not a guaranteed death.

Men just get it over with. Gun, bridge, knife.

I think women take the slower approach because they WANT someone to find them. They WANT someone to help them.
    Men don't have much to turn to in society. They are expected to be able to handle everything on their own and if they can't they are considered failures at life. Why would someone who thinks they are a failure want to live?

I've said this before, but the white male is the least protected and looked after status in the world and it's getting grimmer and grimmer all the time.

Because men use more brutal methods.

If I were to commit suicide I'd cut off my aorta, put a knife through my head or hang myself but I like myself far too much to hurt myself. What if we're reborn after death? What purpose does it serve to kill yourself in that case?

I believe it's because there are different reasons for attempting suicide.

1. Attempting suicide can be a cry for help & attention.
    2. Attempting suicide can also be a way out, a way to give up on life and the struggles involved.

In society it is less acceptable for a man to seem weak or cry out for help.

And when you think about it if they are successful in the suicide then it can not be a cry for help since they will be dead. Thus most suicide attempts by men are usually for reason #2, and more likely to be successful.

(Many times a man that crys / complains about his emotional problems will be seen as weak, and generally not recieved as well as a woman with the same issues...)

Woman seeks a man's shoulder to cry on = normal.
    Man seeks a woman's shoulder to cry on = weak / unattractive.

If society lessened it's expectations of men and allowed them to be more emotional / "weak" we would have less suicides.
    Last edited by Purlina; 2011-11-28 at 04:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maharishi View Post
    Lets cut the gender war right now, and try to stay objective. Otherwise this'll be locked fast.
    You infracted a few posts, but there a ton in here that should be and you seemed to have skipped over ( gender bashing in quite a few that you seemed to have overlooked ).

OT: As already said, men are expected to be strong and contain their emotions. What happens to everything that has pressure built up over time? It eventually gives - enter: suicide.

Because there are differences between the psychological makeup of each sex. If you want the details, talk to a neuroscientist.

Not to be harsh, but I fully expect most responses in this thread detailing exactly what makes it happen to be completely uninformed. Blind answers and the like.
    Those who search for meaning in something will always find it - even if it's not there. Apophenia and pareidolia, gentlemen.

Quote Originally Posted by Grishnok View Post
    Because men have to deal with women.

A womans greatest obstacle in life is material possession.
    A mans greatest obstacle in life is a woman.

nuff said.

<Infracted: Gender bashing isn't allowed>
    To the moderators: This guy didn't really need an infraction, he's pretty much speaking the truth. Maybe a great example is if you watch that show Married With Children, you see Al being a hard worker who never gets any praise and his life sucks, while his lazy wife is eating bonbons all day on the couch watching Oprah.

Sure its just a TV show, but this kinda happens in real life aswell

Deleted
    No 'RIP Gary Speed'?

Shocking, Gary Speed was a fine person, Footballer and Manager. He was an inspiration to young aspiring Footballers and was a good role model. He lived a good and clean life and avoided being in the news for the wrong reasons.

I had the pleasure to meet him when he was a Newcastle United player and he was a great, down to earth person.

RIP Gary Speed, you will be missed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea I'd have to say woman. As others have said, I've been able to deal with anything that's come my way. And I've been through some rough stuff by general standards, but when it comes to woman fucking me over I'm just a fucking mess.

Deleted
    There is a lot of pressure on men to rarely if ever show emotion. This is largely due to outdated gender roles and values - and is something that desperately needs to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Impexio View Post
    No 'RIP Gary Speed'?

Shocking, Gary Speed was a fine person, Footballer and Manager. He was an inspiration to young aspiring Footballers and was a good role model. He lived a good and clean life and avoided being in the news for the wrong reasons.

I had the pleasure to meet him when he was a Newcastle United player and he was a great, down to earth person.

RIP Gary Speed, you will be missed.
    No RIP for this 11 year old boy from around my area who hung himself because he was getting bullied at school?

No news report for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Providence View Post
    I wouldnt exactly say this. If you look at the differences between how society views men versus women, and especially in the western culture, women are almost disproportionately regarded as better than men and put on a pedestal. Furthermore, men are often disregarded as worthless and replaceable.

In the relationship, women make it a point to let the men know that men are lucky to have them and that they are easily replaceable with something better.
    In the workforce, all workers, and more than likely men, are often reminded that they are just worker bees who can easily be replaced.
    In schools men are often reinforced that women are smarter, more mature, and morally superior to men.

Its not that we don't have a purpose, its that from conception and on we're taught that we dont matter.
    100% Agree. There is quite a lot of pressure to grow up in todays world. Many things have changed over the generations and man has become the scapegoat to many. I understand we all, regardless of gender, have many pressures and fine lines to which we are told to live. Being raised as a male for over 29 years now I can agree that we are definitely brought up this way. Dont get me wrong I have a loving family that treats me great but for some reason I never felt I ever achieved the top...growing up it was never good enough and there was no top to the mountain. This could definitely lead to some negative thoughts an actions.